Breaking: FLIR Discontinues All Civilian Sales

Not going to see the difference on a microbolometer based FPA - skin temp would vary but only a few tens of millidegrees.
A cryocooled MWIR - a good one is amazing 😁
Another fun thing is that most commercial textile dies are completely transparent in SWIR
Don't remember the model number, however it was a fixed mount device interfaced to a GPS chart plotter. It was not a hand held unit.

FLIR Scion OTM Handheld Thermal Camera

Cooled

Last edited:
A2C86237-65E3-4B0C-8435-1503EAE52001.jpeg5ED11A70-FAAD-4CB4-8D5D-C9CF42DFF7AB.png
FLIR Scion OTM Handheld Thermal Camera

Cooled

From my cheapy FLIR camera

I recall something about “battery operated” scopes. I will have to research it
I dont think so... but our laws could be interpreted to mean anything ..
My take is all visible light and IR flashlight and illuminators are banned...

If you have gen 3+ WP youd have to be inside a completely sealed room to need an IR illuminator anyway.

Thermals dont use artifical light they use heat...

But ya, everything is illegal in MA

i would have thought body armour would be banned first... I have no desire to own any but guess if you want it or may want it you should buy it now.

while i think end of civilian sales of anything is lame. This is america... if you want it you can buy it and its not illegal...its an issue for the distributor.

edit*
these are hunting regulations anyway...so a property owner can use any means necessary on nuisance animals... just should treas lightly during the seaon of whatever pest your killing.

Last edited:
So how's the FLIR embargo going? Anyone notice a stoppage of sales to civvies...?

tensions between civilians and militarized police that are seen as overstepping their authority.
Just thought this was interesting, now that all the protests have happened.

f*** em. Plenty of other companies have the same tech for less money and no virtue signaling

FLIR: “We’re anti hunting so F off civilians. No joy for you.”

Also FLIR: “Use the best tech we have to hunt humans. Go ahead it’s fun.”
Sounds like a meme.

Government does seem intent on limiting our ability to fight back as they are ramping up infringements upon us
See first comment.

Not going to see the difference on a microbolometer based FPA - skin temp would vary but only a few tens of millidegrees.
I first read that as "microBLOBometer"

Oh, and now for Halloween(er), there is this:
1603507166332.png

I've yet to see any other (reputable) company release a consumer product that exceeds the value of the FLIR Breach PTQ136.

I've yet to see any other (reputable) company release a consumer product that exceeds the value of the FLIR Breach PTQ136.
Would you mind elaborating? I've spent several hours this week looking at thermal monoculars and I'm debating. The Breach seems primarily designed for helmet-mounting, which isn't how I'd use it but the small and light design for easy carry is pretty compelling. On the other hand, if I'm not mounting it and wouldn't mind a few more inches and ounces, would some other monocular on the market in the same price range ($2-3k) have better specs? The 60hz refresh is nice but wondering if something less compact would have more resolution. I'm getting lost as I look at various models from FLIR and Pulsar.

My application would be general scanning while hiking, checking out that noise in the back yard, etc.

Would you mind elaborating? I've spent several hours this week looking at thermal monoculars and I'm debating. The Breach seems primarily designed for helmet-mounting, which isn't how I'd use it but the small and light design for easy carry is pretty compelling. On the other hand, if I'm not mounting it and wouldn't mind a few more inches and ounces, would some other monocular on the market in the same price range ($2-3k) have better specs? I'm getting lost as I look at various models from FLIR and Pulsar.

My application would be general scanning while hiking, checking out that noise in the back yard, etc.

It's definitely a helmet first type of monocular. If you don't anticipate using it with a helmet, there are better options. This thing is tiny though and has the minimum specs for a sensor (resolution/framerate) that's useful for me. The battery lasts maybe an hour, so an external is good to have handy/wired up. I often bring it along because it's so small, even when I don't plan to use it. ETA, I would go with device that incorporated a higher resolution sensor if weight isn't a concern.

It's definitely a helmet first type of monocular. If you don't anticipate using it with a helmet, there are better options. This thing is tiny though and has the minimum specs for a sensor (resolution/framerate) that's useful for me. The battery lasts maybe an hour, so an external is good to have handy/wired up. I often bring it along because it's so small, even when I don't plan to use it. ETA, I would go with device that incorporated a higher resolution sensor if weight isn't a concern.

How long have you had the Breach? What other models did you consider before getting it?

Big Daddy Unlimited has the Breach for $2024, which looks like a pretty killer deal. I already buy CR123 batteries in bulk and cary a bunch of spares -- tempted to get smallest form factor in the Breach but don't want to ignore something otherwise better and just lacking the helmet mount.

I don't think you will be able to get the same quality in a 640 sensor.

For target detection the 320 sensor is fine - if you need better imaging then get ready to spend some real money.

I've played with LWIR and MWIR sensors for so long that it's hard to get excited about the consumer stuff but I could never afford the stuff I work with.

I don't think you will be able to get the same quality in a 640 sensor.

For target detection the 320 sensor is fine - if you need better imaging then get ready to spend some real money.

I've played with LWIR and MWIR sensors for so long that it's hard to get excited about the consumer stuff but I could never afford the stuff I work with.

I guess that's really the question I'm trying to articulate -- the Breach has a 320 × 256 sensor but wondering if 640 is available without the uber-compact form factor. Do you know of any other monocular in the $2k-3.5k range with a 640 sensor and still 50 or more hz?

But if you recommend not bothering exceeding 320 if target detection, that's reassuring. It's target detection beyond the Breach's rated 205m (for man) that leaves me wondering about stepping up to another model. I'm a total noob to thermal so this advice is helpful.

ETA: What do you do for a living that involves such high-spec gear? Must be fun to work with.

Last edited:
How long have you had the Breach? What other models did you consider before getting it?

Big Daddy Unlimited has the Breach for $2024, which looks like a pretty killer deal. I already buy CR123 batteries in bulk and cary a bunch of spares -- tempted to get smallest form factor in the Breach but don't want to ignore something otherwise better and just lacking the helmet mount.

Two years. I was looking for a scanner when the Breach was released and many of the other options incorporated a built-in battery and/or didn't meet the sensor specs I wanted. I did pay about double by going with the Breach. But when I looked closer at the Breach, I decided a helmet rig was where I was headed. Not much comparable out there in that regard.

MWIR and LWIR sensors are both good at detection at sub pixel levels IF the sensor has good sensitivity.
Detection, targeting and identification are different tasks with different needs so you need to look at what you need - for targeting FOV (Field of View) is king, detection is sensitivity, identification is mix.

I was initially looking at Scout iii for a handheld to mount on my gear, but its more likely I'm going with AGM TM384

What a clown world where infrared radiation - which is completely invisible to humans - is considered "artificial light." Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom