• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Breaking: FLIR Discontinues All Civilian Sales

Supply can't be too bad. Amazon and OpticsPlanet still have them...

41yaYKUAO2L.jpg

Does this in any include magical Unicorns?

Frigg’n right!
its a stampede of Unicorns

Last edited:
This is an unsubstantiated rumor, right? Maybe wait and see if it's actually true before going all Salem Witch Trials here.

The alleged LE seizures in your alleged "source" cite something called "imminent domain," which doesn't exist.

Eminent domain does, but it has nothing to do with seizing NODs.

Your "source" is, at best, inaccurate in a way that makes me question the "journalists'" literacy. At worst, it's a soiled shitrag of a biased paranoid publication catering to the lowest troglodyte readers among us.

You decide. Either way, I don't buy that the FBI is ganking NODs because some carrier strike group is jamming GPS. Allegedly.[tinfoil]
What an absolute crock of shit.

The alleged LE seizures in your alleged "source" cite something called "imminent domain," which doesn't exist.

Eminent domain does, but it has nothing to do with seizing NODs.

Your "source" is, at best, inaccurate in a way that makes me question the "journalists'" literacy. At worst, it's a soiled shitrag of a biased paranoid publication catering to the lowest troglodyte readers among us.

You decide. Either way, I don't buy that the FBI is ganking NODs because some carrier strike group is jamming GPS. Allegedly.[tinfoil]
What an absolute crock of shit.

Stop interjecting facts....this is a perfectly good tinfoil conspiracy theory. Killjoy. : )

as for flir/thermal imaging its a novelty.......its got lots of limitations

doesnt "see" thru a pane of glass for example so you cant "drive" a car with it.....it just presents a solid pane of glass

there are all sorts of other challenges.

There's a reason why .mil is still using gen 3 ir stuff....just moving to WP from green

LWIR (thermals) has limitations, but it also has massive benefits and it’s absolutely incorrect that the military doesn’t use it and won’t continue using it. It’s not a replacement for SWIR (night vision), it’s a compliment. In fact, the next thing is using both LWIR and SWIR together to provide one fused image. Although it will also continue to be used by itself for certain tasks.

Last edited:
im always asking myself Why do people GAF when a private company decides who they will cell to.
I think they crunched the numbers and said "aint mak'n Enuff" with the civi's.
Now what I would expect to see is the next thermal scope maker do is anounce how thier optics make night hunting safer and more humane.?
WTF do I know.
I could care less who they sell to, they are a private company. I always think it is extremely stupid how companies try to get all political.

This is another example of stupidity. Make some sh*t up, like you cant keep up with govt production, materials increased in cost and are too expensive, you will invest in something else ... but coming out and talking sh*t? ... are these grown up business men or a bunch of third graders saying what their SJW mom told them to say?

And the one excuse they chose, as was pointed out earlier, was extremely stupid. They are against people shooting animals, but are fine with people shooting people.

I could care less who they sell to, they are a private company. I always think it is extremely stupid how companies try to get all political.

This is another example of stupidity. Make some sh*t up, like you cant keep up with govt production, materials increased in cost and are too expensive, you will invest in something else ... but coming out and talking sh*t? ... are these grown up business men or a bunch of third graders saying what their SJW mom told them to say?

And the one excuse they chose, as was pointed out earlier, was extremely stupid. They are against people shooting animals, but are fine with people shooting people.
I think theres big money behind it, not executives political opinions bleeding into their businesses. Dicks, Walmart, Colt, FLIR...one by one they all just decide on their own to cut out a significant part of their customer base, the result of which is making it more and more difficult for the average citizen to arm/equip themselves? All of this going on while anti-2A legislation is spreading like wild fire on the state level. Imo, Bloomberg and Soros are spreading cash around. Either that or the people making decisions at those companies are on video drinking baby blood or some shit, lol.

I think theres big money behind it, not executives political opinions bleeding into their businesses. Dicks, Walmart, Colt, FLIR...one by one they all just decide on their own to cut out a significant part of their customer base, the result of which is making it more and more difficult for the average citizen to arm/equip themselves? All of this going on while anti-2A legislation is spreading like wild fire on the state level. Imo, Bloomberg and Soros are spreading cash around. Either that or the people making decisions at those companies are on video drinking baby blood or some shit, lol.
Walmart, Dicks ... neither of those made it harder for me. I cant remember the last time I bought ammo at either of those places. It only makes it harder for the people that dont pay attention and go there for convenience. I dont feel bad about them. Anyone that shops at a big chain and thinks they will never take the product away, is not paying attention.

FLIR ... I can see how that is taking away from people. But, there are other companies out there.

Often it's a calculus.

Hershey's and Cadbury's and all them were very progressive companies once upon a time. Part of that had to do with the Quaker religious thing, but Milt Hershey was also an excellent businessman who calculated that he'd get more, and better, product while having to pay lower wages if he could keep his workers happy in other ways: vacation time, good healthcare, free schools, a nice place to live, stuff like that. Other industrialists at the time thought he was crazy, but the results bore him out.

Some companies calculate that the revenue they'll potentially lose from a small subset of buyers (civilian NVG consumers), they can gain back either by more goodwill toward them from other sectors, or from greater revenue from some kind of subsidiary firm they own.

Sometimes it works for them, sometimes not.

Often it's a calculus.

Hershey's and Cadbury's and all them were very progressive companies once upon a time. Part of that had to do with the Quaker religious thing, but Milt Hershey was also an excellent businessman who calculated that he'd get more, and better, product while having to pay lower wages if he could keep his workers happy in other ways: vacation time, good healthcare, free schools, a nice place to live, stuff like that. Other industrialists at the time thought he was crazy, but the results bore him out.

Some companies calculate that the revenue they'll potentially lose from a small subset of buyers (civilian NVG consumers), they can gain back either by more goodwill toward them from other sectors, or from greater revenue from some kind of subsidiary firm they own.

Sometimes it works for them, sometimes not.
I agree. But there is no reason to make stupid statements and try to be a SJW. One thing I notice with gun related stuff, is it usually ends up costing the company money. Because the SJW complains for the sake of complaining and will continue to buy there. But the guy paying attention because it affects his rights will buy somewhere else, specially when you can find everything the store sells online.

Walmart, Dicks ... neither of those made it harder for me. I cant remember the last time I bought ammo at either of those places. It only makes it harder for the people that dont pay attention and go there for convenience. I dont feel bad about them. Anyone that shops at a big chain and thinks they will never take the product away, is not paying attention.

FLIR ... I can see how that is taking away from people. But, there are other companies out there.
Yeah I never did a whole lot of gun related shopping at those stores either, but Walmart in particular sold a not so insignificant amount of ammo to a lot of people at very affordable prices. Afaic, a huge company like WMT suddenly deciding they dont want to be a source of ammunition for American civilians is not a good sign and as I said, it aint because the board of directors got a sudden urge to virtue signal on a grand scale and its not because they were losing money selling it either.

This is very interesting news, and could turn the market against FLIR. Especially given rising tensions between civilians and militarized police that are seen as overstepping their authority.

lol! Turn what market against them?? They're pulling it FROM the market. That 'writer' sounds like an idiot.

FLIR makes the best products.

All those products are still available.

Even Cabellas has them in stock.

No enterprising entrepreneur is going to get away with buying up the remaining stock and gauging.

The decent products are over $2,000 to $6,000.

Nobody wants to get stuck with a $6,000 paperweight.

Although, FLIR claims they will still honor the warranty.

I think other companies will fill the void.

I wouldn't want to buy a $6,000 pre ban optic and end up with a paperweight.

It's not like you are getting a known quantity like a Glock or a AR15 lower.

Next year, FLIR's competition will have a comparable model for $2,000.

Keep in mind that FLIR might be getting ready for the Boogaloo.
LEO thinks they own the night.
FLIR levels the playing field.
The government does not want a fair fight.

If your life, fortune and sacred honor are on the line, however, I'd snag one now.

This company is a top notch dealer and is even known to come up from the South and sell at Massachusetts gun shows.

Check them out!!!

(Products with red colored prices are still in stock)

Also eBay...

You can bet that if Trump loses in 2020, night vision, thermal, and body armor will be banned.

But that would not matter at that point...

Cuz...

Boogaloo

night-vision-kitteh-sez-wheriz-pariz-hilton.jpeg

I didntt claim that .mil wasnt using thermal if you read what I posted

PVS-14 is what is most commonly used.....its cheapest, best bang for the buck and most versatile

I read what you posted. You said thermal imaging was a novelty and there was a reason why the military was still using gen3 NVGs. I don’t know how else to interpret what you wrote.

If you didn’t mean it that way, then you may want to reassess what you wrote.

And its true....

The prevalence of IR based NV vs Thermal wrt whats being issued to folks on the ground makes that statement true

1. thermals are IR based too. It’s just a different part of the EM spectrum than what NVGs use.

2. Thermals are not novelties. One example: PAS-13s have been used to great effect for quite a long period of time now. The next-gen fusion is just an example of continued use.

As I mentioned, LWIR and SWIR are complimentary. One is not better than the other. They just have different uses.

well, who the f*** pays for all the f***ing military and LEO toys? ... civilians or are they paying them with magic f***ing fairy dust???

If this is true, the best course of action is to hunt all their contracts and pressure to have them cancel. If they hate civilians so much, they should not take any civilian cash.

I'm so tired of these cocksuckers playing "private company" game while dipping in my pocket.

Flaming arrow, that's easy. I once doused my home made boomerang with gas and through it. I only got a few second degree burns. Stop, drop and roll. Set the grass on fire. we both are fine now.

Back
Top Bottom