• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BREAKING: Brownells Acquires AR15.Com

mikeyp

NES Member
brownells-tv.jpg

The mega-popular online forum ar15.com, known to many of its users as Arfcom, is now officially part of one of the gun community’s most-loved firearms brands.

AR15.com Community Members,

We have exciting news to share with you today about the future of AR15.com.

The News

AR15.com has joined the 2nd Adventure Group family. The 2nd Adventure Group is wholly owned by Pete and Frank Brownell, and also serves as the umbrella company that owns Brownells, Inc. and other industry brands.

The Avila family will continue to run the site day to day and the same moderators will moderate the forums under the same rules for which you are accustomed.

Why?

In today’s world of social censorship and the muzzling of pro-Constitutional voices, it’s more important than ever to have a modern, forward-looking place where we can all meet, debate, discuss and create ideas to keep our Second Amendment and our uniquely American freedoms strong for generations to come.

In line with that need, the Avila family has long had a vision for making AR15.com an even more robust community for freedom-loving people like you. However, we need more resources to help make our vision a reality.

Under the new ownership structure, we (the Avila’s) can focus on developing critical website improvements, which include, but aren’t limited to:

•Easier to navigate forums
•A better equipment exchange
•More content production
•A host of user-friendly upgrades

The Future

We elected to partner with Pete and Frank Brownell because we’ve known them personally for years to be real advocates for both our First and Second Amendment rights. They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com.

In the near term, not much will change. However, in the not-too-distant future, you can expect upgrades to the site aimed at improving your abilities to connect with friends and fellow community members, learn about new products, debate the topics of the day and interact with our advertisers… all in an effort to make AR15.com the ultimate voice for freedom.

We sincerely thank you for the 23 years of continued support; we can’t wait to see what the next 23 bring.

In Freedom,

Edward, Juan & Jorge Avila

A lot of the members are very worried about this, most expect it will end very poorly.[angry]

Don’t know much about arf.com (or even why it’s referred to that way) but just from hearing it talked about here I’m glad I found NES first.

They did such a spectacular job buying up the web business of Gamaliel Shooting Supply I can only imagine the improvements to come for ARFCom

I expect that one of the first things that Brownell's does is to mine user data including IP's from barfcom to match against brownell user/buyer info/ip's and start spamming the shit out of barfcom users with ads
nothing new here, pretty much everyone spams everyone now. my spam filter needs an oil change!

I dont care what brownells does with anything the buy
Just as long as BROWNELLS keeps going with good products and Good Service. I miss placed the “cutoff” tool that goes in their sight screw kit. I called to see If I could order a new one. She said she could not find it but would get back to me. Next day had a shipping notice.
They have yet to let me down and generally have some of the odd ball stuff im looking for

I expect that one of the first things that Brownell's does is to mine user data including IP's from barfcom to match against brownell user/buyer info/ip's and start spamming the shit out of barfcom users with ads

there's certainly potential for lots of sketchy stuff
I only get one Email per day from Brownells now, I've subscribed to their Emails many years ago. I don't see it getting worse.

I've been a member of ARfcom since it started as a "break-away" from the AR-15 eList (which is on life support if that). I do NOT go to the GD forum, sticking to the Hometown (where I first "met" Derek) and a few technical forums instead . . . all of which are worth the time.

I can’t wait until Derek sells NES to the daily Kos or Huffpo.

Couldn’t blame him.

But we could rapidly set up a competitor.

Much like we could rapidly set up a competitor to arf.com.

Mods for arf-com GD:

inbred-brothers5.png

Brownells must have seen value in the "Would you keep a zombie as a sex slave?" thread or one of the other bazillion zombie threads.

I can’t wait until Derek sells NES to the daily Kos or Huffpo.

Couldn’t blame him.

But we could rapidly set up a competitor.

Much like we could rapidly set up a competitor to arf.com.
This. Its just a forum.

One can be created very quickly, follow that with a post in the old forum and people will start to migrate over. I will put the money for the servers and kick a** NES 2.0 SOC room.

This. Its just a forum.

One can be created very quickly, follow that with a post in the old forum and people will start to migrate over. I will put the money for the servers and kick a** NES 2.0 SOC room.

Something like this happened with a legal career forum I used to be a part of until a headhunter with a shady reputation bought out the forum. The guy had a reputation for censoring anything against him. Considering the forum was mostly designed to get people into big law firms, being owned by a recruiter with a penchant for whitewashing history (oh, and going on weird random diatribes) killed the raison d'etre of the forum and most people revolted and moved to a new forum.

Feel free to see what I mean:

A. Harrison Barnes - Best Legal Recruiter - BCGSearch.com

Legal Recruiter Fails To Understand Hiring Process, Basic Social Conventions

Saying Biglaw Hiring Coordinators ‘Have More Beauty And Fewer Brains’ A Bad Move For Headhunter

Headhunter backtracks on sexist column after BigLaw recruiters' outcry

Anyways, in regards to Brownell's, at least Brownell's has a reputation for being solidly pro-2A and has been coming out with good products recently like their new rifles. Seems like Brownell's is trying to build a little gun empire with their webstore, line of guns, rubbing elbows with the Don, and now ARFCOM. At least Brownell's would be a beneficent corporate overlord.

For what it's worth, Brownells put up a good amount of money for Project Lightening (sic), a World War One machine gun experiment/review/collaboration between Forgotten Weapons and C&Rsenal.

If I recall, both Ian & Othais said Brownells did not seek any editorial control or interfere with production in any way; just an acknowledgement during the videos.

With all the asshattery in arfcom's GD, I was able to find constructive answers to several non firearm related questions there after trying unsuccessfully here, possibly due to a much larger pool of participants.

The owner of Brownells recently left the NRA board of directors as well. Hopefully that is a good indicator of their strong stance on the second amendment. I hope the site doesn’t change.

I’m on Arfcom a lot more than I’m on NES. The hometown forum doesn’t get a lot of action but it tends to be good info.

The tech forums are loaded with great info, parts, builds, whatever you can think of, someone has the info already.

GD is a shitshow but funny. Most big breaking news stories hit there first before the main stream news and you actually get facts with links.

Back
Top Bottom