• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

break-in period for a new gun?

I guess you'll have to give that fnx over to me [smile]

That's a good idea. A service to break in a handgun for someone. About... $0.25 per round necessary for common handgun rounds. Or the new owner can supply the ammo and I'll do it for just $0.05/round required. Really goes along with my dad's business concept of "artisanal first ding" placement on new cars, $250/vehicle.

I would be highly unhappy with a new gun that had that kind of a break in period. I could understand one or two malfunctions in the first hundred rounds or so, but I would be extremely unhappy if I had that number of malfunctions in something I spent my hard earned money on. No excuse for that these days.

So let me ask this. If this was a firearm that you were trusting your life to, how many malfunctions would you be comfortable with?

Unless it is a semi auto 22, I don't think there should be any acceptable break in period.

If you have ruled out ammo and magazines, that gun should run and run.

So let me ask this. If this was a firearm that you were trusting your life to, how many malfunctions would you be comfortable with?

Unless it is a semi auto 22, I don't think there should be any acceptable break in period.

If you have ruled out ammo and magazines, that gun should run and run.
+1. I agree completely.

+1. I agree completely.

So do I. This isn't a carry gun. As mentioned, this is most likely a case of my poor technique + underpowered reloads. This is my first plastic gun and having already had problems with a glock am not quite ready to blame the pistol.

No chance of me going at it with a Dremel either. That sounds like a loss of gun and fingers.

Just got back from MFS and I'm very happy. I switched the backstrap for the larger one and a box of factory ammo and it ran flawlessly. I also hit the magic 400 rounds mark with this session.

So, how many rounds should I give it before it's considered trustworthy?

Just got back from MFS and I'm very happy. I switched the backstrap for the larger one and a box of factory ammo and it ran flawlessly. I also hit the magic 400 rounds mark with this session.

I would wait for it to run well for another 400 rounds. Make sure you're testing it with whatever defensive ammo you're planning on using with it, too.

That is awesome. Glad to hear it was just a weak ammo problem.

If my gun eats FMJ without an issue, I usually run a couple of boxes of carry ammo through it to make sure it doesn't have an issue with hollow points. Then I burn a mag of carry ammo every month or so at the range.
I can really notice the difference in accuracy from a good commercial carry ammo to target stuff.

Sorry for the hijack/bump, but didn't want to start a new thread:

Newb Question:

Seen someone online (I know I know) say they left their slide locked back and mag's loaded for 24-48 to help expedite the "break in period". Would that work? I'm not even remotely close to marginally educated in any sort of engineering, but will a couple days pressure on the springs really "loosen them up"?

Sorry for the hijack/bump, but didn't want to start a new thread:

Newb Question:

Seen someone online (I know I know) say they left their slide locked back and mag's loaded for 24-48 to help expedite the "break in period". Would that work? I'm not even remotely close to marginally educated in any sort of engineering, but will a couple days pressure on the springs really "loosen them up"?
Loading and unloading magazines is what breaks them in. Just sitting around loaded shouldn't do much of anything to the springs

Loading and unloading magazines is what breaks them in. Just sitting around loaded shouldn't do much of anything to the springs

So by that rational would racking the slide and dry firing a couple hundred times work too?

Since someone resurrected this, no malfunctions in a few hundred rounds of anything I've bought at MFS. That was a strange and somewhat stressful experience but at least I now know what to do in the future, and it certainly improved my technique.

If you want to break in your trigger yes. The other option is disassembly and polishing components lightly.

I respectfully disagree with this. There is no harm in dry firing a center fire pistol and many folks insist upon it as part of their training regimen. Adam from ACME Armament gave me a great piece of advice to help with trigger pull/control, that was to spend a weekend dry firing a double action revolver and it worked great. The revolver is fine.

I respectfully disagree with this. There is no harm in dry firing a center fire pistol and many folks insist upon it as part of their training regimen. Adam from ACME Armament gave me a great piece of advice to help with trigger pull/control, that was to spend a weekend dry firing a double action revolver and it worked great. The revolver is fine.

I think you mis-read that; he said break-IN the trigger, not break the trigger.

I dry fire, a lot. There isn't a person on the TV who hasn't felt my wrath. I will say to do a little checking on your gun. My XD pistols apparently are known to break the extractor retainer pin with repeated empty chamber firing, so I make sure I use snap caps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom