• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brass value

Garys

NES Member
I have a mix of various brands and calibers of once fired brass. It's sorted, mostly in boxes. I don't want to just dump it at a metal recycler.

I'd like to list it for sale, but have no idea of what used brass goes for.

It's not tumbled, not decapped.

Does anyone have any ideas on price?

Thanks.

All depends on the cartridge.
Once fired it range pickup?

If you could post a list and quantity we could point you in the right direction.

Look at Midstate Gun Co. website ("SHOP"). They offer range brass at reasonable prices.
Welcome to Midstate
You should be able to realize better than scrap prices by selling your price to a reloader, even while giving them a decent price.
You can also look at prices for new brass and figure a reasonable rate for once-fired brass, say 20% to 33%. If you use Lapua as your basis, I likely won't buy your brass. I usually take the Starline or Prvi prices and price accordingly.

Scrap depends on the yard, quoted $1.15lb for “clean” cases.
I will often post rifle brass for sale at .10 each depending on the market.
Pistol brass I often give it away or around $35/1000 if I need some cash

Last edited:
I'll do an inventory and post it.

It's all once fired by me over the past several years. No reloads, all new.

I know I have .45ACP, 38Spcl, lots of 9mm, .380, and some M1 Carbine. Probably some 5.56 and .223 as well.

Here is what I have

38 Spcl
WWB 600 rounds
Fiocchi 50
American Eagle 50
Aguila 100
ZQ 50
PPU 50
Remington UMC 300

9mm

WWB 150
Blazer Brass 50
Remington HTP 50
Browning (blackened case) 100
Fiocchi 50
Tulaammo 150

45ACP
WWB 100
Remington UMC 50

Federal 100

M1 Carbine Herters 50

Federal 250
WWB 50
Fiocchi 50
Prograde 50

.303 British HXP headstamp. Not sure of qauntity

I started collecting this during the post Newtown ammunition panic. Of course I didn't sell it then and unless we get a Dem in 2020, I don't foresee another panic. So, it might go up for sale, I might dump it all and bring it to a nearby scrap dealer.

A karma is possible, but that would be for pick up only.

Toss the pistol brass up for .04 ea and rifle for .10 ea.
Make it a pick up or local meet. Your only going to get $1.15lb for scrap. Just for reference 750 30 carbine weights 7.5 lbs or $8 not even worth the trip to the scrap yard.
OR put the entire lot up for .04 each = $80(2000 pcs) and be able to get coffee and a nice lunch after meeting up with buyer?

Before and after the ammo shortage I just swept it up and dropped it in the clubs brass buckets, so there could have been a lot more. Plus I gave a bunch of 9mm to a friend who is also an instructor and reloads for classes. I shoot a lot more than what I listed would indicate. Of course I didn't include 22LR or 22WMR.

several years of shooting? you gotta get out more! you're in karma territory there, not the resale of once fired brass business.

I went in to a gun shop in upstate Maine, and they were selling .375 winchester used brass for $1.50 apiece. That's $30.00 for a box of 20. I Can get them loaded @ $ 50.00 for a box of 20.

I went in to a gun shop in upstate Maine, and they were selling .375 winchester used brass for $1.50 apiece. That's $30.00 for a box of 20. I Can get them loaded @ $ 50.00 for a box of 20.
Could you get them loaded at the same shop that had the brass?
New .375 runs about .60 pc in bulk.

Last edited:
I meant that I could get new loaded ammo (from winchester) for $50.00
You could load your own depending on bullet choice for about $1....

Reference to what a shop in ME gets is moot.
Depending on where and clients some one might be happy buying those 20 pcs at $1+ each vs spending $150 to buy 250 new cases knowing they are only loading and shooting low round count.
Its all fun

In the end its always better to sell good brass or give it away than scrapping it.

I actually do load my own .375 Winchesters, that's why I was looking at them when I saw the casings in a bin. I might have bought them for a buck each or less, but not for a $1.50 each. I still have about 200 hornady 220grns and some 200 grn.

I actually do load my own .375 Winchesters, that's why I was looking at them when I saw the casings in a bin. I might have bought them for a buck each or less, but not for a $1.50 each. I still have about 200 hornady 220grns and some 200 grn.
You can buy new brass for .60ea 250 pc order.

I have actually been playing with the .35 rem. more than the .375. ( I had some brass from somewhere and decided I needed a gun ).

Back
Top Bottom