• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brass tumbling question??

""The book that came with my Dillon said not to polish much more than 1 1/2 hour""""

The only negative side too Tumbling cases too long is that it could work harden the brass eventually and lead to split cases or the need to anneal sooner. I don't value my brass enough to worry about it. But if you had some Wildcat cases or some high end stuff it may be worth considering

Last edited:
""The book that came with my Dillon said not to polish much more than 1 1/2 hour""""

The only negative side too Tumbling cases too long is that it could work harden the brass eventually and lead to split cases or the need to anneal sooner. I don't value my brass enough to worry about it. But if you had some Wildcat cases or some high end stuff it may be worth considering

I find that hard to believe.

Corn Cob you can run for as long as you want, I forgot I had some 223 brass running for 2 days once, no problem. Walnut is a different story...

At what point in the reloading process do most people tumble their brass? Before removing spent primer or after?

I tumble before depriming but I currently only reload pistol rounds. I'm not sure if it's different when reloading rifle rounds.

Same here. It's a PITA picking the media out of the primer pockets...I made that mistake once.

ive tumbled after priming following some "not so great" advice and got squib loads from media caught in the flash holes. Now i tumble only before depriming/resizing and if i am loading rifle ammo, i will clean the primer pockets out with a hand primer pocket cleaner.

You can tumble before size/decap, after decap with uni decapper, then size and load. Then tumble completed rounds.

Back
Top Bottom