• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brass prices

Garys

NES Member
I started saving my brass around the time of Obama panic #1. I have .38, 9mm, .380, and some .45ACP. It's either boxed or bagged (some of the .380) With the exception of two boxes, it's all matching. Nothing is deprimed or tumbled. All of it is shot once factory ammo. I also have some .303 British HXP Berdan primed brass.

I'd like to sell it to someone in preference to selling it for scrap, but have no idea what used brass goes for.

What is the price range for used brass?

I have to find out myself....I have about 25 pounds of .22 brass I've been collecting. Obviously not much good to a reloader but is probably worth a few bucks in scrap.

I've looked in the classifieds, but there isn't that much information. The problem is that brass is the only reusable component in reloading. Which probably depresses the price since a lot of reloaders save their brass. Of course there are only so many times brass can be reloaded.

Just look at the classifieds section to get an idea. or gunbroker.com

I've looked in the classifieds, but there isn't that much information. The problem is that brass is the only reusable component in reloading. Which probably depresses the price since a lot of reloaders save their brass. Of course there are only so many times brass can be reloaded.

What there are several sellers of brass on nes classifieds.....most commonly sold item on the reloading stuff.

There are many places on line selling once fired brass. Unprocessed brass with a quick look I find.
38 spl/mag .07 ea/1k
9mm .04 ea/1k
45acp .06 ea/1k
380 .07 ea/1k

Add about 3-8 cents each for processed brass

Plus shipping depending where you go.

As for scrap prices you best call around. Best price around me is 1$ lb for brass rifle/pistol cases. But you better have 100lb or more. They don't seem to want it unless you have a lot of it.

Yellow brass scrap value...
http://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-prices/north-american-brassbronze/yellow-brass-scraps/26/1/1
Armslist has people selling brass at various price levels, so you can get an idea of what is reasonable.
I will guarantee at least 150% of S.V. for brass that I buy, but that doesn't mean I want any or all brass. For example, a 7.62x54R brass case weighs about 160 grains, that's 44 pieces of 54R brass per pound or only 4.9 cents per case (@ 150% of $1.45/pound). I'll currently pay 30 cents each for boxer-primed 7.62x54R brass, delivered.
FWIW, I believe that HXP berdan-primed .303 British uses the readily-available .217" diameter berdan primers, but many still won't want to mess with it.
Keep it for when you reload or use it for credit from reloaders that you might deal with. Freedom Munitions is one company that does brass exchanges.

Last edited:
When I want to get rid of small items I go to club meetings or breakfast.
Sometimes it turns into a mini auction.

It's worth selling to a reloader vs scraping it. I have a guy who trades me brass for lead. I give him all my bad brass....takes a few years to stock up on it.

You get screwed scraping it. You could sell it fast in small quantities for $1.50lb
I happen to have a box of once fired 45cap 1000 cases weighs 13lbs 2 oz with the box.

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't have 1K of any caliber, maybe I'll wait or try to sell what I have. I don't want to get into shipping, which is why I never thought of GB for brass prices.

Maybe I'll just wait for Hillary panic #1. Just kidding.

What there are several sellers of brass on nes classifieds.....most commonly sold item on the reloading stuff.

There are many places on line selling once fired brass. Unprocessed brass with a quick look I find.
38 spl/mag .07 ea/1k
9mm .04 ea/1k
45acp .06 ea/1k
380 .07 ea/1k

Add about 3-8 cents each for processed brass

Plus shipping depending where you go.

As for scrap prices you best call around. Best price around me is 1$ lb for brass rifle/pistol cases. But you better have 100lb or more. They don't seem to want it unless you have a lot of it.

I have to find out myself....I have about 25 pounds of .22 brass I've been collecting. Obviously not much good to a reloader but is probably worth a few bucks in scrap.
It is to someone who swages 223 from 22lr.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I don't have 1K of any caliber, maybe I'll wait or try to sell what I have. I don't want to get into shipping, which is why I never thought of GB for brass prices.

Maybe I'll just wait for Hillary panic #1. Just kidding.

Well it's worth $1+ per pound and .05 average for each once fired case. So find the middle ground and get over to your club for breakfast a shooting event or some sort. Or just keep saving.

I have saved my brass for ever. I cashed in 3 five gallon buckets of 22lr back in 05-06 ? When scrap was high. It was 319$ total.... I don't know how many 22lr cases where in there but I shot a shit ton when I was a kid....

I buy ,sell and trade brass every week. Brass scrap is way low now. 2 weeks ago I got $1.10 a pound. I usually offer 150% scrap rate for mixed brass. Or when brass is separated, offer .xx per piece. Pm me with quantities and I'll make an offer. Just so you know, the scrap rate for 9MM is less than a penny apiece. And given the labor involved sorting and cleaning, wouldn't even make an offer on 9MM unless part of a package deal. You're lucky to sell 9MM, sorted and cleaned, for 150% scrap rate on Gunbroker or anywhere else.

Come on man. 30 times?

Doesn't sound unrealistic to me. I have some 38 special cases that I've bee reloading since the early 90's. On the nickel cases, the nickel has been worn off the sides. Loads are light and I do get split cases on occasion.

45 acp can be reloaded easily 20+ times (I lost count with mine). I toss them when visually inspecting them for any defects and then again if the seating of the primer is not firm/snug (I hand-prime always). Unless you are shooting at max load(s) you can re-use 45 acp for a very long time. S&B brass is the only stuff I cull automatically because the primer pockets are tighter than most other mfg's. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom