• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brand New Ruger Vaquero - Incredibly stiff/gritty loading gate

RandomBS

NES Member
Just picked up a new Ruger Vaquero in .45lc, however the loading is extremely stiff (i can barely open it with one thumb), and feels really gritty and low quality, I can't even imagine it was tested at the factory. I'm wonder if I just send it to ruger, I've heard good things about their customer service but does anyone have any experience? Or should I just attempt to fix it myself?

I had the same issue once on a new Old model Vaq. I just oiled it up and moved a few time and its been fine ever since.
If its still stiff ( after oiling) then back to Ruger it should go. Ruger has great customer service.

Here is a question. Is it a blued gun or a polished stainless model?
If polished stainless there may be some grit in there from the polishing process.
Try to blow it out with a little non-chlorinated brakleen, move the gate a few times and repeat. Blow out dry with a little compressed air and finish with a good lube.
Just make sure that the grips are off and that you only spray in the gate area. You don't want the brakleen getting on non-metal parts if you can avoid it.

I would rather try this first, than lose the gun for a service call.
~Matt

I sent a revolver that I bought second hand back to Ruger because the cylinder wouldn't close. They not only repaired it for free but replaced a few worn parts and buffed out a couple of minor marks on the barrel. Good luck!

I’ve had Cowboy Gun Works work on all my SASS guns. Can’t say enough
Good things about his work. His turnaround times are impressive too.

Last edited:
Just picked up a new Ruger Vaquero in .45lc, however the loading is extremely stiff (i can barely open it with one thumb), and feels really gritty and low quality, I can't even imagine it was tested at the factory. I'm wonder if I just send it to ruger, I've heard good things about their customer service but does anyone have any experience? Or should I just attempt to fix it myself?

I think you can lighten up the loading gate spring. Also as well as the hammer springs, etc with parts from Brownells. I did it on a couple guns I used to own and it was super easy.

Ruger puts super stiff springs in Vaqueros and doing a quick tune up makes them slick and smooth.

loading gate should not be difficult to open. something is binding. find a few more complaints about the pistol, maybe the sights are off or cylinder gap sucks or crown of muzzle is dinged. something. make a list. then send it off to ruger and let them fix everything. there are multiple reasons to send them the gun, including so you enjoy using it and also should you chose to sell the gun someday you don't have to worry about selling a dicked up gun. the buyer will be happy with it. i like to know that anything in my collection could be sold and the buyer would enjoy it. having a sub-par firearm just bugs the shit out of me.

ruger CS is excellent. i just got back my american 7.62x39. it was absurdly dicked up out of the box. they received rifle on a monday and i got it back on friday with a new stock and re-barreled action.

Upon closer examination I also discovered the inside of the barrel is a wierd brown/rust color with wierd yellowish material around the rifling. I've never seen this before and I don't think its normal, I think ill be sending it back.

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_225127[1].jpg
    IMG_20181030_225127[1].jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 55
Upon closer examination I also discovered the inside of the barrel is a wierd brown/rust color with wierd yellowish material around the rifling. I've never seen this before and I don't think its normal, I think ill be sending it back.

Have you run a cleaning rod through that yet? Looks like packing grease to me.

Yes, I tried cleaning with patches and a wire brush, it doesn't come off.
Did you clean the bore before shooting it for the first time.
Wonder if the rust prohibitor used can stain if shot with out cleaning. What ammo are you shooting. Lead , jacketed?
Something going on.
Write a list and send it back.

Did you clean the bore before shooting it for the first time.
Wonder if the rust prohibitor used can stain if shot with out cleaning. What ammo are you shooting. Lead , jacketed?
Something going on.
Write a list and send it back.

I haven't shot it at all yet. Im going to call ruger today.

Last edited:
Might as well just call Ruger, get your prepaid label from them, pack it, and drive it to the FedEx counter that can accept it. It will either come back to your door or (if replaced) to your FFL.

(Good kneejerk reaction). The packing grease used inside the action of our Mk III 22/45 was ruby red under good illumination, but word is that people mistake it for rust all the time.
Came right off the metal tidbits (e.g., safety switch) with Outer's CLP though. So if the stuff in the revolver bore ain't coming out for the OP with a wet patch, that ain't it.

Maybe I'm wrong, I only have the pic to go by. What I think I'm looking at is a SS barrel. Unlikely to have an even coat of rust on that. I also think I see bright spots where it looks like the brush may have cleaned some off in a line like it cought at some point and scraped through.

again when Ruger gives you an RMA and ship the gun back, just put this barrel concern on the list of issues. give ruger a chance to fix it. nobody on this forum will be nearly as helpful as ruger CS.

Perfectly normal.. for a Ruger.

NO CLUE why people still buy their guns.

Customer Service is top notch as they have more practice at fixing poorly made guns than anyone in the biz.

Just got the email they are shipping it back to me and repairs are complete. No mention of what was done though, should have it friday

Back
Top Bottom