brand new Ruger American 22 WMR rifle, fails to extract

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I got a new Ruger 22 WMR American rifle, and first time to range today, it fails to extract abut 90% of the time.

The cartridges do seem a little tightly stuck in the chamber, I dunno maybe I should polish it. Not sure what's up with the extractor though, seems like it's kind of got a bad grip or something.

Yeah when I looked at the bolt there seems to be dried grease all over it, I'll try soaking it in some solvent.

what ammo are you running?

1) try different ammo. it's not unusual for any rimfire rifle to have a few oddball ammo types it won't cycle
2) if it continues to fail on numerous types of ammo then something is off with the chamber. cleaning unlikely to fix it
3) call Ruger and let them fix it. despite awful QC, they have excellent CS and will quickly take care of your rifle

It seems like the Fioccchi ammo I have really sticks inside the chamber, I need a cleaning rod to poke them out, whereas when I tried some Hornady 22 WMR the cases slide right out. I wonder if the
Fiocchi is a little oversized, and the chamber on the Ruger is a little undersized, or something.

I got a new Ruger 22 WMR American rifle, and first time to range today, it fails to extract abut 90% of the time.

The cartridges do seem a little tightly stuck in the chamber, I dunno maybe I should polish it. Not sure what's up with the extractor though, seems like it's kind of got a bad grip or something.
Did you clean the rifle?
Manufactures apply all sorts of Rust Inhibitors on there guns.
Waxy greasy looking stuff but not always easy to see.
Give it a good tear down and scrub and clean the chamber and throat really well. Along with crud there can be plenty of left overs from the machine process.

Did you clean the rifle?
Manufactures apply all sorts of Rust Inhibitors on there guns.
Waxy greasy looking stuff but not always easy to see.
Give it a good tear down and scrub and clean the chamber and throat really well. Along with crud there can be plenty of left overs from the machine process.

I just cleaned out the barrel with a bore snake , and then put some steel wool on a cleaning brush and hooked it to electric drill to polish the end of the chamber. That seems to have helped, the Fiocchi cartridges don't feel tight anymore when I stick them in. Maybe it was crap in the barrel chamber... thanks for the suggestion !

I just cleaned out the barrel with a bore snake , and then put some steel wool on a cleaning brush and hooked it to electric drill to polish the end of the chamber. That seems to have helped, the Fiocchi cartridges don't feel tight anymore when I stick them in. Maybe it was crap in the barrel chamber... thanks for the suggestion !
Something my dad says always echoes in my head.
“New guns are never clean”

also when I would have problems with my 22s as a kid my dad would say time for a cleaning. I would “clean” it and still have function problems. Dad would ask “did you clean it” then proceed to show me how not clean it was.
My dad was not a fan of constant cleaning but rather rust preventive measures. Although oils,gunk, and stuff finds its way into places over time

in all likelihood there was a tiny burr (or several) in the chamber that your steel wool nicked off.

Back
Top Bottom