Brand New Glock Squib

Experienced my first squib today on a brand new firearm (Glock 17 gen 5). I did not have 9mm on me (I usually shoot .45) so purchased remanufactured amo that my club had on hand. I won’t be doing that again!

After hearing the strange pop, I took the magazine out to find a bullet 1/2 through the barrel.The glock was brand new and I even ran a few through patches few the barrel before taking it to the range.

I was able to get the bullet out with a brass rod, punched piece of leather and vice. I assume this is the result of bad amo, but curious if anyone thinks it could be a barrel or gun issue given give it’s a brand new firearm. My guess is highly unlikely that this is a dud from Glock, but I did notice how jacked up the side of the bullet is. It’s also possible that’s just a byproduct of getting it out of the barrel (inside of the barrel looks fine, as I took my time).

At the end of the day, lesson learned; I will not be using remanufactured amo ever again.

Happy holidays all!

Attachments

• 10D99BCD-C990-4ADB-919D-14517623D540.jpeg
    10D99BCD-C990-4ADB-919D-14517623D540.jpeg
    678.6 KB · Views: 228
If you look carefully at the bullet, you can see the rifling marks on the base, so the bullet definitely entered the barrel. The fact that that metal curl is sticking out beyond the rifling marks means it had to have happened after the bullet was backed out of the barrel. It it happened before, it would have been flattened by the barrel. Probably as you were banging it out it popped free and the last blow slipped to the side and damaged the bullet. If it was the barrel and a good round you would have more likely had a “KABOOM” than the round just stuck halfway in the barrel. I’ll go with @enbloc, primer-only squib.

And welcome to the club.

Check that barrel over as much as you can. Glad things weren’t worse, and welcome to NES.

Yes stay away from any remanufactured ammo. my buddy bought some off gun broker and it was terrible. Constantly malfunctioning.

Your club sells reloads to members? Yikes. No way in hell would I buy those. As an avid reloader, I never let anyone shoot my reloads in their guns.

remanufactured isn't really like some club member made it for them, its professionally loaded ammo. I think there's a company on the cape that make remanufactured ammo.

@Adaboy you should contact the place you bought it and the manufacturer and complain about this. They should make it right.

Nice work. I always carry Kebob Skewers in my range bag just in case. Easy to check that the barrel is clear and also comes in handy if someone brought marinated chicken to the range. I've never had a squib, but was thankful that the shooter next to me at the range was aware of his. Could have been ugly for both of us.

Good Job

remanufactured isn't really like some club member made it for them, its professionally loaded ammo. I think there's a company on the cape that make remanufactured ammo.
Ohh okay. Yeah I forgot about the companies that make reman ammo. Like that Bullseye ammo that comes in a blue box and is made in RI if I recall?

... I did not have 9mm on me (I usually shoot .45) so purchased remanufactured amo that my club had on hand.
Your club sells reloads to members? Yikes. No way in hell would I buy those. As an avid reloader, I never let anyone shoot my reloads in their guns.
@Adaboy are you talking about commercially remanufactured ammo,
or handloads fabbed by the club out of brass they vulch off of their own ranges?

I've got 10 50-round boxes of Bullseye Remanufactured .45ACP that I bought at FS.
I suppose I'll keep an eye out for squibs when I go through that stuff,
but I'm not curling up in a fetal position from reading this thread.

BTW, this guy wins the Passive Aggressive Award for the day:
The High Road: "Bullseye Reloads" Banned at State Range

Date: May 28, 2015​
>The closest range to us only allows either factory ammo or their own reloads.​
Sounds like I'd be using factory cardboard boxes instead of Midway's plastic ones for my ammo . . . you know,​
the stuff made in my factory.[wink]
One range I went to frequently instituted a "brass that hits the floor is ours" rule, since they decided they were​
going to start selling store reloads. (They got themselves a couple of STAR reloading machines.)​
I started dropping Berdan primed brass there. Eventually they stopped their "all your brass is belong to us"​
policy.[devil]

We just don't know whether it's that,
or some club that's got a reloading sideline.
@Adaboy has yet to clarify...

I always carry Kebob Skewers in my range bag just in case. Easy to check that the barrel is clear and also comes in handy if someone brought marinated chicken to the range.
Dowel with an empty case of the proper caliber pounded over one end,
and annular lines indicating proper depth from muzzle,
with- and without- a round in the chamber.

Or not.

Some guy here, years back, met me at my club for a buy. He brought with him some ammo, wanted to try before buying.
It was aluminum cased wadcutters that looked like they were stored outside under a porch in Louisiana.
I said no thanks (I don't let anybody shoot before they buy, what if it blows up?)
He bought it anyway... luckily some people came in and started using all the lanes, saved me from being the a**h***. Didn't want him shooting that crap in my presence or in my club.

So was this commercially reloaded ammo, or just some reloader selling at the club. I ask because I've looked into commercial reloading and the equipment isn't on the same level as some guy hand pulling in his basement, they have systems to check powder levels and, at least some, commercial reloading companies weigh the product to insure a consistent finished weight (insures all the components are there including powder).
I can see the issue if it's just some guy relying on his eye and memory to be "sure" every round gets one and only one charge. But I'd hate to see the real comercial reloading guys getting a bad rap when they are using systems that are equivalent to what the new manufacturers are using.

gen5 i think has slightly more abrasive coating, so, i had some issues with weak 115gr ammo cycling initially - specifically the 'venom' ammo - quite severe in G34, less severe in G17.
issues were - not ejecting fully, not loading properly, getting stuck on half way into barrel, you name it.

i would recommend to take whole gun apart, wipe it all very clean, then put some oil on fingers and run around front part of a barrel only and on the ledge of barrel that dives under the top of the slide, then shoot 124gr ammo. you really need to brake it in, after it gets its signature 'smile' on the barrel and smooths all rough edges it will eat anything with no issues.
i think it was in area of 250-300 or so 124gr rounds to brake in G34. an old gen3 i had i do not recall to be that picky.

It's all risk management.

I had an older, military .38 special round squib on me. That's what a cleaning rod is for, in your range bag. We had factory Trap ammo, 12 ga. that would occasionally separate the plastic hull from the metal head. It was a frequent enough occurrence that one of the Members made a special tool to extract them. Not ideal, but not overly dangerous, as it's a single-shot game. As I one heard, "What's the point of asking if the air is good, if there's nothing else to breathe?"

Shoot what you're comfortable with, and pay attention.

whew, we're in agreement then...bad ammo so no glock boycott. got too much invested in glocks so i probably wouldn't have joined in. woulda crossed that picket line. [laugh]

i had a squib once. found a stick on the ground that fit in the barrel and hammered on it with a good size rock. i'm a bad gun owner. [angry]

We just don't know whether it's that,
or some club that's got a reloading sideline.
@Adaboy has yet to clarify...

Well he said remanufactured which is the term used on the boxes of the ammo I described. If they were reloads, I doubt anyone would call them 'remanufactured'.

I think there's a company on the cape that make remanufactured ammo.
Any idea on the name or where they are? Never knew there was a place down here that made ammo, it’d be cool to go tour.

Potato chips and bullets, Cape Cod’s biggest exports! (I am from the cape haha)

I also just assumed it was commercially remanufactured amo, but closer inspection says it’s “premium reload” so who knows.I guess the bigger point is if I am not able to answer exactly what it is, probably not the best idea. To be clear, I don’t take issue with those providing the amo, as it’s hard to come by. Someone hit the nail on the head when they said it’s all about risk profile, and I’ll be playing it safe in the future.

As an avid fisherman, I’m glad to know that there are some “salty” members on these forums just like fishing community I know and love ... I was worried everyone was going to overly nice and not have strong opinions. 😁

Looking forward to being more active on the forum.
And Thanks to the more experienced for pointing out what was the most likely issue.

whew, we're in agreement then...bad ammo so no glock boycott. got too much invested in glocks so i probably wouldn't have joined in. woulda crossed that picket line. [laugh]

i had a squib once. found a stick on the ground that fit in the barrel and hammered on it with a good size rock. i'm a bad gun owner. [angry]
I would say “creative”. ;)

@Adaboy

i've had 1 squib 9mm load and it was WWB (also factory ammo not remanufactured). good thing you checked the barrel before racking another round in the chamber!

Experienced my first squib today on a brand new firearm (Glock 17 gen 5). I did not have 9mm on me (I usually shoot .45) so purchased remanufactured amo that my club had on hand. I won’t be doing that again!

After hearing the strange pop, I took the magazine out to find a bullet 1/2 through the barrel.The glock was brand new and I even ran a few through patches few the barrel before taking it to the range.

I was able to get the bullet out with a brass rod, punched piece of leather and vice. I assume this is the result of bad amo, but curious if anyone thinks it could be a barrel or gun issue given give it’s a brand new firearm. My guess is highly unlikely that this is a dud from Glock, but I did notice how jacked up the side of the bullet is. It’s also possible that’s just a byproduct of getting it out of the barrel (inside of the barrel looks fine, as I took my time).

At the end of the day, lesson learned; I will not be using remanufactured amo ever again.

Happy holidays all!
I use "remanufactured" ammo all the time. I load it myself though. Had 2 squibs over the years. Takes a minute or two with a brass rod to knock it out and back in business. Both from the same can of powder that I believe is a bad batch because I've never has squibs before and these i experienced definitely had powder in the case because I was scraping unburned powder out of the revolver after.

A squib isn't a big deal you know......as long as your smart enough to realize it and not rack the slide and pull the trigger again. It even happens with factory ammo.....although rare......so averyone should know the signs of a squib even if using only factory ammo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom