• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brand new 1979 Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum revolver unboxing

I guess I get it, being a car guy, there is a GNX in California still sitting on a GM dealerships showroom. Has like 80 miles on it, all driving to get oil changes over the decades. edit (oil changes at that dealership, driving from the showroom to the service center).

Is 'this' particular gun a 'remarkable' firearm like a Python? I know nothing about revolvers. Not even really a 'gun' guy. I just like the smell of expended gun powder.

The GNX isn't at the Dealer any longer, it was sold to a Collector, finally...

Is 'this' particular gun a 'remarkable' firearm like a Python?
Probably holds its cylinder timing better than a Python... Just saying.
Bad timing can damage parts, or worse shave off lead as it enters a poorly aligned forcing cone. (usually right back into the shooter's face or hand)
In extreme cases, gun barrel/cylinder/frame (one, some or all) will experience an EPIC FAIL... BOOM!

This may help... if interested.

Last edited:
Probably holds its cylinder timing better than a Python... Just saying.
Bad timing can damage parts, or worse shave off lead as it enters a poorly aligned forcing cone. (usually right back into the shooter's face or hand)
In extreme cases, gun barrel/cylinder/frame (one, some or all) will experience an EPIC FAIL... BOOM!

This may help... if interested.

Ok. That's a good reason. I really want that 8 shot 357 revolver, but I'm just not at that point in my acquisition program yet. Other than a Colt SAA, just because, I'll probably own 2 revolvers when I die.

Ok. That's a good reason. I really want that 8 shot 357 revolver, but I'm just not at that point in my acquisition program yet. Other than a Colt SAA, just because, I'll probably own 2 revolvers when I die.
They really are a blast to shoot. Both your choices would be top-notch.

They talk about it in the video. In 1979 all revolvers at Smith were test fired three times.
Even so, I wouldn't think 18rds would produce cylinder drag. No cylinder drag is a sign of a lightly used revolver. I've got revolvers with 100's of rounds through them with no marks.

Not trying to be argumentative, just skeptical is all.

Screw all the time capsule collector hype. Just not my mission in life. I own 28 guns, several are vintage millsurp , none are "collectable" in my eyes. ALL are weekly shooters that serve their purpose well ! To each his own.

Screw all the time capsule collector hype. Just not my mission in life. I own 28 guns, several are vintage millsurp , none are "collectable" in my eyes. ALL are weekly shooters that serve their purpose well ! To each his own.
I'm with u. I'd never buy a gun that I didn't plan to shoot.

It’s also before S&W started adding the 🌈🦄🐩 safety lock thing like my 340PD has on the side.

Even better - it's before S&W moved the firing pin from the hammer to the frame. To me, that's my mark of when S&W still had a sense of customer service. A smith with a flat hammer might as well be a hammer.
Too bad it's nickeled. I'd LOVE to see a NIB old school blue revolver out of the box. Not as good as Colt's but pretty damn close.

Back
Top Bottom