• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brand and Caliber issued to PD

Except that saying "I use what the police use" is a great way to get portrayed as a sheep dog wannabe with fantasies of shooting brown people for fun.

Paul Harrell, who has been involved in one or two DGUs and had to take one to trial and was acquitted of the charges, rightly pointed out that anything someone does is going to be subject to scrutiny by a prosecutor. Look at the Grafton road rage shooting that happened - the fact that the shooter was in a polyamorous relationship came out on here.

NH road rage shooting

I think Mas's advice is a bit dated and not reflective of how most juries, at least in Mass or CT where OP mentioned, would view a defendant.

Oh, and your meme posting history (and probably posting history on here) has a good shot of being put up on a big screen in front of the judge and jury.

lol and Ayoobisms etc are not really relevant in 90% of gun defense cases anyways. Guy has made a living yapping about corner cases. Lots of shitty people get plugged all the time by cops and citizens alike, most don’t get into the weeds of Ayoob glue fumes.

Didn't even go through a nitrile glove!
My department has used Ranger T, SXT and earlier Black Talon. Winchester has been the spec ammo since the early 80's. Currently the Glock 23 using 40 S&W 165 GN Ranger T is standard. Last year unfortunately we found how effective is was in the field.

Was wondering if any one new what brand and caliber ammunition is used by town and state police departments in Massachusetts and Connecticut

I can say is that a couple of times when I've been at the range after a police department was done using it for the day, there was a sh*tload of empty boxes of 165gr .40 Lawman in the trash. Since I'm gray and shaggy, I guess I shouldn't tell anyone that I often shoot Lawman as my range ammo as well, lest they think I'm a sheepdog.

I know at least one of the state PD uses Winchester ranger. Our local PD called me last winter for a deer that was hit and a passing statie had shot it. When I was skinning it I thought there was some piece of the vehicle stuck in it but it turned out to be the staties hollow point. After looking online at different expanded ammo I came up with ranger ammo and later was told that's what they use. Pretty crappy ammo to stop just under the skin of a deer. No penetration at all. That told me a lot about that ammo.
View attachment 511533
View attachment 511534
Lol, usually test protocols for carry ammo don't involve shooting live deer. Not sure what load they use but most of the Ranger 45 loads are decent.

You'll mostly see winchester ranger, federal HST, speer gold dot, or hornady critical Duty in 9mm, .40sw, or .45acp. It depends on the agency. Keep in mind most law enforcement label ammo is designed for minimum of 4" barrels or longer and is bonded or designed to be more barrier blind. It doesn't all perform well (heavy +p loads with possibly slower burning powder and projectile may not expand properly) out of 3" or shorter barrel carry guns so using "what the police use" isn't always the best choice for a concealed carry gun. In my g19 I use federal LE HST's, but in my p365 I run something designed for the short barrel, Federal punch, short barrel gold dots, the new winchester ready defense, or the sig v crown ammo designed for the p365 are all good choices for shorter barrels.

😄 I just thought from what little it did without hitting a rib seemed weak. The shock wave did more damage. It just looked like some heavy clothing would slow it down drastically if it just barely got through the hide on a deer. Either way it was still kind of neat finding it and seeing how it performed.
Lol, usually test protocols for carry ammo don't involve shooting live deer. Not sure what load they use but most of the Ranger 45 loads are decent.

I always wondered about that advice as I don't recall anyone ever citing a case where that was brought up. From the classes I've taken on legal self defense, the question is not what weapon you used, but if using any weapon was justified as self defense.

Actually, it sounds like advice from an LGS, along with if you use a gun not on the MA roster you're going to be charged.

Actually, in MA in general you'll be charged no matter what. Sort of like the Napoleonic code of justice where you are guilty until proven innocent. Which I believe they still use in France.

My guess is he is trying to pull a Massad Ayoob, who -- at least used to -- suggest people carry what their local PDs do in case a DA tried to argue that a self-defense shooter used some "exotic extra killy hollow points" or similar.

In other words, if the prosecution tried to claim you used a super killy gun or ammo you could counter that it's the same thing your local PD uses, therefore not exotic or special.

5 years ago I saw a couple Attleboro cops rock 1911s on their belt cocked n' locked. Another guy was walking by me at the Best Buy plaza and also noticed the guns on their hips and commented on their guns "the hammer's down ready to rock n roll isn't that dangerous?!!?" It's a pretty rare sight to see officers rock 1911s I thought. Do some departments let you carry your personal sidearms?

5 years ago I saw a couple Attleboro cops rock 1911s on their belt cocked n' locked. Another guy was walking by me at the Best Buy plaza and also noticed the guns on their hips and commented on their guns "the hammer's down ready to rock n roll isn't that dangerous?!!?" It's a pretty rare sight to see officers rock 1911s I thought. Do some departments let you carry your personal sidearms?
Depends on the agency/policies but there are also some agencies that have like Special Response teams and shit like that, who are allowed to carry weird guns compared to the regular beat cop. At one time BPD even had/has a unit that carried Sig 1911s as an option.

An example was a 10mm case. (Fish)
309A34F300000578-3417924-image-m-44_1453836671743.jpg

I just thought from what little it did without hitting a rib seemed weak. The shock wave did more damage. It just looked like some heavy clothing would slow it down drastically if it just barely got through the hide on a deer.
Now I'm definitely wearing my father's deerskin jacket during Go Time.

Either way it was still kind of neat finding it and seeing how it performed.
I'm thinking that the biggest chunk could be cleaned up
and with a little cloisonné work, turned into a nice LEO tie tac.
20201230_153637-jpg.511534

5 years ago I saw a couple Attleboro cops rock 1911s on their belt cocked n' locked. Another guy was walking by me at the Best Buy plaza and also noticed the guns on their hips and commented on their guns "the hammer's down ready to rock n roll isn't that dangerous?!!?
If those cops were really carrying in Condition 2,
like Clint Eastwood does...
EverlastingDangerousEland-size_restricted.gif

...the most dangerous moment
was when they decocked their 1911's
after racking a round into the chamber.

We're also hopefully all aware of the low-hanging fruit like using a Punisher striker plate cover or the guy with the "You're F*cked" dustcover on his AR, etc. All can and will be used against you.

All I have to say to the DA is that the Punisher plate is to remind me what happens to my @$$ when I go to Pound-you-in-the-@$$ prison after a bad shoot...

What does the DA think of Smiley faces? Maybe I should just make sure I only shoot bad people with the Smiley plate instead of the Punisher plate...

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1548 (1).jpg
    IMG_1548 (1).jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom