Brake / Comp for 14.5" Barrel Recommendations?

Looking for a brake / comp to pin onto a 14.5" 5.56 barrel. What do you all recommend?

The following have gotten my attention, but I have no experience with any of them:

- BCM Mod 1
- VG6 Epsilon (Comp + Flash hider - any issue with that combo for MA regs?)
- VG6 GammaEX
- Faxon Slim 3 Port (slim enough that it allows you to remove your gas block without having to remove the device which I think could be a huge bonus).

Thoughts?

I got Faxxons work well but you don't want a friend standing next to the muzzle when you pull the trigger.

This has my attention for my next build

Id go lantac dragon or the bcm. I love the dragon on my 14.5” midlength. I also have the vg6 epsilon on a 16” and it is loud without aero’s cage device. Probably more so than a pws fsc.

For an effective brake and one that won’t kill anyone next to you, the BCM is where it’s at.

one of the best brakes I’ve ever used was the Surefire

@gxx9sdb

are you familiar with linear compensator?
totally different from a standard comp/brake, which I find absolutely abnoxious
if you're not running a magnified optic, just an RDS, a linear compensator will be a better fit for 223
the troy claymore is a good choice but there are others

of the comps you've listed, i would go with the BCM as it's a less intense brake
however a brake similar to the BCM but i find even better (and less side blast) is the 2A 3T
cheaper, looks sharp and blast seems similar to a 2A flash hider

Botach has the Noveske flaming pig on sale. It’s probably classified as a flash hider though. I can’t figure out the difference.

WARCOMP CLOSED TINE FLASH HIDER FOR 5.56MM RIFLES
WARCOMP-556-CTN-1/2-28

Lots of people like this but I don't know if it's Mass Legal.

You could always spend $200 for a tax stamp and SBR your lower - then you would not have to spend so much on a noisy muzzle brake.

I have an earlier version of this:

SFMB-556-1/2-28
Muzzle Brake / Suppressor Adapter

There is no muzzle rise and I can run my AR like a machine gun with my Geissele SSA trigger.

Shooters next to me hate it though.

Looking for a brake / comp to pin onto a 14.5" 5.56 barrel. What do you all recommend?

The following have gotten my attention, but I have no experience with any of them:

- BCM Mod 1
- VG6 Epsilon (Comp + Flash hider - any issue with that combo for MA regs?)
- VG6 GammaEX
- Faxon Slim 3 Port (slim enough that it allows you to remove your gas block without having to remove the device which I think could be a huge bonus).

Thoughts?

2A Armament T3

T3 Compensator

I found the VG6 Epsilon on a page recommended for "legal" muzzle breaks in MA, unfortunately the link i found on reddit is now broken, but with that being said, I have a VG6 Epsilon on my rifle, and it's not a flash hider, it definitely has a flash, look up YouTube videos for reference, I guess it has some sort of flash suppression thing to it, but it doesn't work. All the reviews I've seen it's quite a bit of sparks. But it's a super flat shooter, like super flat and it was HUGE difference compared to the stock muzzle break I had on my rifle (compensator from stag arms). I highly recommend it, performance is great and I dig the look.

Only downside is the side concussion is pretty intense.

But other than that I honestly love it, and I will have one on my next rifle.

Also if you need it installed Pullman Arms in Worcester did an amazing job unpinning the old one and installing the new one on my rifle, the pin and weld is honestly some of the best work I've seen. I wouldn't say its barely noticeable but it's super clean and the weld looks like it was done by a robot with no damage to the rest of the break, and it's timed perfectly. Super impressed with those guys.

Last edited:
I have a Lantac Dragons on my 12" 300 blackout and 10.3' 5.56 uppers, it just works great.

Also have a Lantac Dragon w/BMD on a PCC. The BMD itself is heavy but very nice for a short barreled HD PCC that may be used in tight quarters in the dark, and is very easy on/off with just finger detent buttons for day to day use.

Surefire SOCOM on my 5.56 rifle. Also great, super flat shooter, but VERY loud.

Looking like either the Surefire pro comp or the lantac dragon. Thanks all, those were not even on my radar before.

This has my attention for my next build

As long as the application permits a flash hider. While a compensator it is also a flash hider

Assuming you need some length for a pin and weld? The GammaEX definitely measures up for that.

I've tried different brakes on multiple builds but was most impressed with the VG6 Gamma once I borrowed a friend's AR. VERY flat shooting and good recoil reduction, which is what you want. I would rate it average for noise and best for flat shooting. I have some ALG's that are short and LOUD, and also the 'cookie cutter' on my 300 BLK that is extremely loud, as in WTF?? loud. Strike Industries actually warns about the side concussion from this brake.

That said, I don't particularly get why anyone would worry about loudness of the brake unless they are primarily shooting indoors.

Back
Top Bottom