Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club - Braintree, MA

Nice, I would have stopped in and at least said Hi but I had the girlfriend in the car and was just headed by to see how the range construction turned out.

No problem.... Marcus5 and I are at the outdoor range almost every weekend and we always bring the 500 (he's scary accurate with it)..... Thank god for reloading.....[smile]

Stop by next time and give it a shot.....[wink]

Went to the outdoor range Saturday and found that someone was shooting regular shotgun shells down at the pistol range [angry]
I found shotgun husks on the ground, shot sprayed targets, and all but a few of the stands were completely destroyed [angry] The gate has been offline for the last week or two so I'm guessing they went out there during off hours. We didn't have enough stands so we had to share, leave it up to a few people to ruin it for everyone

Snapped a pic on my cell:
View attachment 8436

The targets were like that a week ago and I noted it on my RO report. I will forward a message to the club secretary, as he's the one who usually builds the targets. That homesote (sp?) is just shot up due to lots of usage, nothing unusual. I will also forward your comments about the shotgun shells to our CRO, as that is a violation of club rules. Thanks for the reminder and heads-up.

The targets were like that a week ago and I noted it on my RO report. I will forward a message to the club secretary, as he's the one who usually builds the targets. That homesote (sp?) is just shot up due to lots of usage, nothing unusual. I will also forward your comments about the shotgun shells to our CRO, as that is a violation of club rules. Thanks for the reminder and heads-up.

Thanks, I know they were in pretty rough shape before but I'm sure the shot didn't help [thinking]

I signed up for the orientation coming up this Sunday but need to know how crowded the club is on weekends. I don't want to waste my time if the club is jammed and joining would just make it more crowded. Could someone please give me an unbiased answer. If it is too crowded I will look elsewhere.

I signed up for the orientation coming up this Sunday but need to know how crowded the club is on weekends. I don't want to waste my time if the club is jammed and joining would just make it more crowded. Could someone please give me an unbiased answer. If it is too crowded I will look elsewhere.

I went shooting right after my orientation, on one of the first 'decent' weekends in January, and people told me that there was an unusually high amount of traffic there. It was not crowded in my opinion: there were free outdoors lanes at the pistol and rifle ranges. I'm sure the indoor range lanes get scarce when events are taking place, but that's a given. On a subsequent visit, the ranges were pretty open as well (outdoors). It was cold, but a nice day on the weekend, regardless.

There were TONS of people at the orientation. But like the instructors said, most are there to get that 'check box' for the BPD so they can get their LTC. When Sir Macado and I went shooting right after the orientation, we were the only ones out of maybe 120 that were amped enough to bring our stuff to try out the ranges that day. I think that speaks volumes right there.

It's rarely packed unless there's a major event being held. Braintree has two indoor ranges and three outdoors so generally there is enough room for everyone

It's actually pretty amazing. We have 3000 members plus , but on a really busy saturday afternoon there are maybe 5 or 6 in each range. you might get a few more outside when it gets warmer. during the week, the ranges are almost empty most of the time. The only time there are conflicts is when there are events scheduled on a range. When we start the CMP service rifle matches again in march, the rifle range will be tied up on the third saturday morning of the month until about 1:30 pm. most members know ahead of time and avoid that morning. some shooters also decide to shoot and have a great time.
Ross

I have a question about fees. Im looking to join a gun club so I have a steady place to go shooting without having to drive an hour up to Salisbury every time. I live in Newton so the drive to Braintree seems to be one of the better solutions for me (I need an outdoor range since I have a Mosin 91/30 and Sig 556 that I still havent been able to shoot yet because I couldnt find a public range with outdoor rifle last year). I noticed the New Member Orientation Schedule lists fees for new members depending on the time of year they choose to apply. Im looking to join in a few months when it gets a bit warmer out, but Im curious as to what the yearly fee is? Im guessing that its $100 a year after your first year? Membership price kind of plays a factor into my decision since I have other hobbies to fund like my motorcycle....Also for those who are members, how are the conditions of the outdoor rifle ranges? The pictures on the website look nice, but figured it couldnt hurt to ask those that have actually been there before. Thanks for all your help.

When you join, you pay the initiation fee of $75 plus the annual dues of $100. If you join later in the year, the $100 dues are reduced as there is less left of the year. after the first year you only pay the $100 annual dues.
The rifle range consists of a covered 10 position shooting line. Each shooting bench has 2 targets at 50 yards (2'x2') and 2 targets at 100 yards (2'x4'). The targets are getting a litle ragged, but are due for a changing soon.

Thank you LenS and M1groupie for the quick replies, I look forward to applying to BR&P in the upcoming months

This is the second time I was told by another member that this target (11X17 and cropped) was against club rules. Why? I don't see any rules in my little book about NOT shooting fictional characters.

Any thoughts members?

transporter27a.jpg

in the member orientation the instructors stated that targets of LEO or US/allie military personel were prohibited. Pictures of ex-wives or bad guys were allowed. Being that fictional character is a BG, I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

I'd write it off under the category of your typical "OMG is that MA LEGAL??!?!" busybodies.

My thoughts too. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think it is harmless. I have Mr. Smith from the Matrix and the guy from No Country for Old Men too. All fiction.

BRP Membership for Non-Citizens.

Hi All,

I was interested in joining BRP but on inquiring was told that US citizenship was an absolute requirement. I am a UK citizen and a US permanent resident (green card holder) and have an MA "Resident Alien Permit" allowing me to own guns (like a FID). Does anyone think there is a chance of getting this rule changed, perhaps if I was persistent and had some sponsors within the existing membership? BRP is my first choice of clubs to join.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I was interested in joining BRP but on inquiring was told that US citizenship was an absolute requirement. I am a UK citizen and a US permanent resident (green card holder) and have an MA "Resident Alien Permit" allowing me to own guns (like a FID). Does anyone think there is a chance of getting this rule changed, perhaps if I was persistent and had some sponsors within the existing membership? BRP is my first choice of clubs to join.

Thanks!

I don't know. I suggest that you send an Email to Eric Goldman (club president), Email address is on the www.brp.org website and ask about it.

Good luck.

I don't know. I suggest that you send an Email to Eric Goldman (club president), Email address is on the www.brp.org website and ask about it.

Good luck.

CMF, regrettably I have bad news for you. I spoke with the club president this afternoon and asked him your question. The answer is that there are no exceptions to the rule that one must be a US Citizen to join BR&P. Sorry.

If you send me an Email (link off my username on this post) with NES in the Subject and tell me where you live/work plus what kind of shooting you're interested in (e.g. skeet/trap/plinking/rifle team/etc.), I might be able to suggest some other clubs to you that might accept you as a member.

CMF, regrettably I have bad news for you. I spoke with the club president this afternoon and asked him your question. The answer is that there are no exceptions to the rule that one must be a US Citizen to join BR&P. Sorry.

LenS, I really appreciate your effort on my behalf. Thank you!

Jim McKenna is running a STICKER CAMPAIGN to get on the Republican ballot against Martha Coakley for AG! He's promised to rescind the AG Handgun Regs that restrict most handguns from being sold in MA.

For Braintree R&P Members who would like to meet him in person, Jim told me that he'll be at the Braintree R&P Members meeting on August 9th ~6PM (time he intends to show up).

Sorry to say, Jim was in Worcester tonight and had no chance to make it to Braintree.

He told me that he will be at BR&P on 9/13, the next meeting and day before the Primary.

There were 5-6 candidates at BR&P tonight and they ran so long that the club adjourned w/o holding a real meeting. This prevented me from making a pitch for Jim, as he had requested.

Apologies to those that came to meet Jim and were disappointed.

I joined the Braintree RPC back in the spring and I think it's a great club. I've been doing some USPSA shooting with a bunch of guys at Ames RPC. It's been a lot of fun and I'd love to be able to do some action shooting at Braintree. Would like to practice some holster drawing and shoot some steel and shoot on the move. What are the chance that an action pit could be set up at Braintree?

I joined the Braintree RPC back in the spring and I think it's a great club. I've been doing some USPSA shooting with a bunch of guys at Ames RPC. It's been a lot of fun and I'd love to be able to do some action shooting at Braintree. Would like to practice some holster drawing and shoot some steel and shoot on the move. What are the chance that an action pit could be set up at Braintree?

I've been a member there for about 20 years (including jr. membership), it is a good club, better than most. As far as an "action pit", don't hold your breath on that one, as much fun as it would be I don't see BR&P doing one of those.

Back
Top Bottom