• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Paid my dues by check,....when I was at club shooting this week. Just dropped it into the dues box. Always nice to have the indoor range to myself.

Has the outdoor (ever) been open? Every time I go, beautiful day, and it is closed. Lol. No RO to be found.
Everytime I've went, it's open as well.

The only thing from stopping me recently, is this cold spell we are having recently.
I wouldn't expect anyone to be outside during this sh!t

Speaking with a RO recently he told me they are short on RO's. Also check in the large indoor range. They hang in there sometimes.

They should just do away with the RO requirement. Stick cameras everywhere and be done with it.
They'd need to install a no sky system to avoid issues with Braintree without ROs. False accusations against the club in the past for rounds going off the property is part of the reason why ROs are required at all times.

FYI - I was informed today that the green rifle racks on the 50-100 range are not to be used - EVER! I usually unpack my gear and leave a few rifles in the rack for convenience while I am facing targets. Sometimes I have multiple guns from work that I need to zero and the rifle racks are clutch. Has never been a problem until today. In fact, I did just the same last week without issue (different RO). When I attempted to do so today I was chastised for it. Completely unsafe according to the RO present. “Could shoot someone a couple ranges down, there are bullet holes to prove it. ...I’ve been a member since ‘81...” etc. etc. Weird flex, but ok. I was never informed of this rule when I joined the club some years ago. I figured the club put the racks there to accommodate people that want to place rifles in them. Must be a COVID precaution. I almost packed up and left, but didn’t want the fudds to win. Wish there was a better club nearby as there are clearly too many ROs on a power trip running the fiefdom. I generally keep to myself about shitty club experiences, but this one gave me a good chuckle.

FYI - I was informed today that the green rifle racks on the 50-100 range are not to be used - EVER! I usually unpack my gear and leave a few rifles in the rack for convenience while I am facing targets. Sometimes I have multiple guns from work that I need to zero and the rifle racks are clutch. Has never been a problem until today. In fact, I did just the same last week without issue (different RO). When I attempted to do so today I was chastised for it. Completely unsafe according to the RO present. “Could shoot someone a couple ranges down, there are bullet holes to prove it. ...I’ve been a member since ‘81...” etc. etc. Weird flex, but ok. I was never informed of this rule when I joined the club some years ago. I figured the club put the racks there to accommodate people that want to place rifles in them. Must be a COVID precaution. I almost packed up and left, but didn’t want the fudds to win. Wish there was a better club nearby as there are clearly too many ROs on a power trip running the fiefdom. I generally keep to myself about shitty club experiences, but this one gave me a good chuckle.
There are so many rules its almost impossible to know them all.
Some of the ROs, its obviously their first time in a position of authority and they are completely lacking in people skills.
I make a point of finding the RO, introducing myself, and describing what and where I intend to shoot before I take anything out of my car.
Even doing that I still sometimes get jumped on with both feet for the simplest things.
i would go elsewhere if it wasn't so close to home.
The club has tons of members who rarely visit so maybe they like it that way.

Depends on the RO. Had the same happen to me pre covid. I’m moving to put a rifle on the rack and the RO tells me “No. Only one rifle out at a time”. Fine. I’ll just leave it in the bag and put it on the ground pointed in his direction.

You mean those racks that they fill with loaner Garands and ARs when they hold CMP matches?

I appreciate ROs who chat it up and stick their business card in your face to promote their place of employment.

There are so many rules its almost impossible to know them all.
Some of the ROs, its obviously their first time in a position of authority and they are completely lacking in people skills.
I make a point of finding the RO, introducing myself, and describing what and where I intend to shoot before I take anything out of my car.
Even doing that I still sometimes get jumped on with both feet for the simplest things.
i would go elsewhere if it wasn't so close to home.
The club has tons of members who rarely visit so maybe they like it that way.
When I show up and guys have range officer “badges” on a belt clip or on a neck chain, I can only cringe and feel embarrassed for them. What a joke. Like you mentioned, first time in a position of power and it shows. Glad I’m not the only one to experience this type of shitshow. Wish there was something as convenient on the south shore.

Many years ago according to Zoo some WW2 veteran that went on a rant at him, slammed a M1 Garand down on rack saying he knew what he was doing after serving in the "Big Red One!" during the "Big Dubayah Dubayah Two" which promptly slam fired through the roof. Zoo used this story as part of explaining to me, as if I was 5, the proper use of those racks and then went on to reiterate about only uncasing one rifle at a time at the bench while the range was hot. Which seemed to conflict with what he just said about using the racks.

So even after an explanation, which was supposed to make sense to a child but didn't make sense to me, I've never used them since to avoid the wrath of a RSO. The blue printed rulebook on the matter doesn't help clarify. So I've always just avoided the issue to avoid getting booted from the club.

I can distinctly remember a time when I had maybe 4-6 rifles on the rack and I zeroed each one at 50. That was after I was asked to show my membership badge to prove that I belonged. How did I get past the two gates to get up to the rifle range? Can you give me a minute to put my stuff down? Some people just have nothing better to do or they feel so unimportant in real life that they need to make up for it somehow. Anyway, BRPC fits my needs when nobody else is there, otherwise I feel like it’s a Fudd club that people join just to check a box when applying for a LTC.

Again, my 2 cents.

I was a member for 20 yrs and RO for ~15 yrs at BR&P. I resigned from the club when I bought my house in NH, or I'd still be a member there.

People did use the racks but one day someone negligently went to put his rifle in a case and let one fly just missing an RO that was in the middle range. IIRC, the rule changed after that to require all guns to be taken out of cases/put in cases on the firing line.

And all members are supposed to have their badges visible when on the property. Likewise, all ROs when on duty are to have the RO badge visible.

I didn't like all the rules either, but each rule is there for a reason and when you understand the reason, most if not all, will make sense.

Yep, idiots are the ones make us not having nice things. I like most RO’s. BTW, what happened to an RO named Louis? Friendly old gent... I hope he’s still in good health.

Many years ago according to Zoo some WW2 veteran that went on a rant at him, slammed a M1 Garand down on rack saying he knew what he was doing after serving in the "Big Red One!" during the "Big Dubayah Dubayah Two" which promptly slam fired through the roof. Zoo used this story as part of explaining to me, as if I was 5, the proper use of those racks and then went on to reiterate about only uncasing one rifle at a time at the bench while the range was hot. Which seemed to conflict with what he just said about using the racks.

So even after an explanation, which was supposed to make sense to a child but didn't make sense to me, I've never used them since to avoid the wrath of a RSO. The blue printed rulebook on the matter doesn't help clarify. So I've always just avoided the issue to avoid getting booted from the club.
As I understand it, the rifles are cased and un cased on the bench. Each rifle should have a chamber flag and bolt open, Safety on, moving from bench to rack without having the barrel under your chin, and barrel straight up position.....reversing the process to place another rifle on the bench. An as I understand it, the negligent discharge was caused by and older man (WWII era) attempting to place his rifle in a case on the back shelf, with the rifle pointing toward the width of the shooting area and applying a trigger lock...…..

As I understand it, the rifles are cased and un cased on the bench. Each rifle should have a chamber flag and bolt open, Safety on, moving from bench to rack without having the barrel under your chin, and barrel straight up position.....reversing the process to place another rifle on the bench. An as I understand it, the negligent discharge was caused by and older man (WWII era) attempting to place his rifle in a case on the back shelf, with the rifle pointing toward the width of the shooting area and applying a trigger lock...…..

That is what happened. We were briefed about it at an RO meeting where I was present and the RO that almost got shot was too, to back up the story.
I still cannot get over the time someone shot the pay phone in the old club house.

I am betting that was intentional and there was a (possibly obnoxious) broad on the other end of it. [rofl]
Well, my RO shift was during a particular group "practicing" and I used to walk thru the old clubhouse to get to the new clubhouse (shortcut). One of those days, the "instructor" was showing a new person by waving a gun around such that the barrel crossed the doorway as you walked into the building and was actually aimed out across the driveway and parking lot. A very "safe" /s instructor indeed . . . and that person is still instructing the unsuspecting.

My most interesting experience was being handed a HK91 in a parking area by a proud owner who suggested I try the sweet trigger out. Rather than play know it all asking he clear the gun before handing it to me, I took it and yanked the charging handle. I swear the live round that came out of the chamber looked as big as a 50BMG at the time.

My most interesting experience was being handed a HK91 in a parking area by a proud owner who suggested I try the sweet trigger out. Rather than play know it all asking he clear the gun before handing it to me, I took it and yanked the charging handle. I swear the live round that came out of the chamber looked as big as a 50BMG at the time.

Your first warning sign should have been the praise for the 91’s trigger. [smile]

I know it's a new system, reach out with an email and I bet it's rectified in short order
I send in a photo of my credit card transaction statement & a badge number and they said I was all set.
I don't think the club itself ever sent an email receipt.

Back
Top Bottom