Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Yeah, the RO requirement for the outdoor range does kind of blow, but I can't blame the club for the decision. The club is surrounded on all sides by development. The desire to cover the club's ass is wise. Does have its downsides though. Other clubs that aren't in the middle of semi-dense residential likely have a more relaxed policy. Paying for a professional RO isn't a terrible idea.

Communication is pretty poor from the club. Calendar is incomplete and often wrong, little notice of outdoor range closures. For example, they show DCM shoots (which should now say CMP) every 3rd Saturday for this year, including the winter months when there are no shoots. I sure felt like a schmuck sitting at the range parking lot at the supposed meet in February this year. Inside they have bulletin postings from 1 or 2 years ago that are no longer relevant. Bit of a mess.

I think a webcam showing if the outdoor range is open could go a long way. Would definitely be a worthwhile investment.

Even if the webcam was just of a whiteboard that says "yes outdoor range open till dusk" or "closed today" would be super useful... Can't be that hard right?

Webcam of the range is a bad idea for security reasons. CCTV back to the main clubhouse or a digital open/closed sign on the access road could work though. Sign could autoupdate the website.

I'm trolling now, but it seems a few video cameras and an improved backstop would go a long way at your club.

The club I belong to has over 3000 members and yet no need for a babysitter.

Seems to me that people are suggesting that the club members are idiots who are unsafe and shouldn't own guns. Great message to push.

I thought the idea was to get as many guns into the most hands possible and be able to become proficient in their safety and operation by practicing.

if you're referencing my post, #506, i was only talking about the 1/2% of people who can manage to hit the ceiling (indoor) or steel baffle(outdoor) while shooting at a 1 ft. sguare target at a distance of 10-12 feet.

The general skill level of BRP members are comparable to any other club. But there are some members that are absolutely horrid; carelessly hitting the target hangers repeatedly and richochets destroying lights and wires. Very noticeable when half the range becomes dark. Target 5 yds away and literally shooting the ceiling. Some have no business handling firearms. I try to avoid the indoor ranges if weather permits.

Like I said, I was knowingly being a dick. Len, boscru, and others have illustrated the reasoning behind what exists. I also need look no further than the rafters of our indoor range.

I hope the members having issues find some solutions.

I think a webcam showing if the outdoor range is open could go a long way. Would definitely be a worthwhile investment.

Even if the webcam was just of a whiteboard that says "yes outdoor range open till dusk" or "closed today" would be super useful... Can't be that hard right?

CCTV back to the main clubhouse or a digital open/closed sign on the access road could work though. Sign could autoupdate the website.

Good idea. A lot of ski area websites have live webcams showing the base lodge snow coverage to combat the "no snow in my backyard" syndrome. There is already a physical sign put out at the access gate to the outdoor range if it is closed, so keeping a live webcam aimed there would not put any additional burden on ROs calling in sick or the webmaster posting anything to the website. Members could then easily check the website for the sign, without having to make the drive just to see it in person. The sign is close enough that a webcam mounted on the old clubhouse should be able to do the job, and transmit via the club's wifi.

Does anyone know if green tipped 5.56 ammo (M855) steel core is allowed at the outdoor rifle range?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if green tipped 5.56 ammo (M855) steel core is allowed at the outdoor rifle range?
I didnt see anything in the rule book about it, I have shot it there before with no problems. There are no steel targets.
Double check with the range officer on duty when you get there.

I didnt see anything in the rule book about it, I have shot it there before with no problems. There are no steel targets.
Double check with the range officer on duty when you get there.

Awesome thank you will do. I'm about to buy 1000 rounds of American eagle 556 so I wanted to make sure.

FOR BR&P MEMBERS ONLY!

The club is having a swap meet on June 9th. Only notice is a piece of paper posted on the clubhouse door, no start time that I recall but expect it to be 7 or 8 AM. I plan on being there and trying to sell 3 handguns (H&K USP 40c, Walther P99 and Glock 23 - all .40S&W) and a Bushmaster AR15 (in .22LR factory built on .223 lower and yes you could put a .223 upper on it and after eFA-10 as .22LR you are GTG no requirement to re-FA-10 it every time you change the upper, vintage ~2007) before I leave the state and these guns go with me never to return.

Due to lack of any real advertising to members, I expect this swap meet to end by ~11AM.

New member here - going to head down to try to use the rifle range for the first time after work, anyone know if a RO will be around? Would love to meet some club members too if anyone else will be around.

Anyone shoot at the outdoor rifle range this weekend? I showed up Friday and Saturday morning and the range was closed both days around 9-10 am. Didn't see anything listed on the calendar, but maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone shoot at the outdoor rifle range this weekend? I showed up Friday and Saturday morning and the range was closed both days around 9-10 am. Didn't see anything listed on the calendar, but maybe I'm missing something.

You're too early. No center fire until after 10 on Friday and Noon on the weekends, depending on CMP. Best bet is to show up after 2PM on a sunny weekend.

You're too early. No center fire until after 10 on Friday and Noon on the weekends, depending on CMP. Best bet is to show up after 2PM on a sunny weekend.

Thanks. I could have swore it was 9am every day except Sunday for centerfire at noon, but seeing in the rule book it's 10am. what a waste on my part.

I got an email that said BRP is upgrading the bullet traps in both indoor ranges. The trap they're using in the new indoor range looks like it's rated for rifle use. Anyone know if BRP will allow rifles (maybe pistol caliber carbines?) once the new traps are installed?

They are finalizing bids on a camera system.
You need to cultivate your in-house nerd crew (perhaps bribing someone by giving him a "shoot without RO present" dispensation). If you are "bidding for a camera system", you will pay through the nose. Multiple times, since you will pay for a service call every time something acts up. My club bids for tech stuff by asking "Boudrie, how much to ......". Any decent technogeek can install a camera system far cheaper, and with equal quality, to a professional bid system.

I'd suggest avoiding systems with a dedicated DVR, and go for something that uses an off the shelf PC with a few multi-TB hard drives and software you install to do the recording. It makes maintenance MUCH easier when something goes wrong. You don't want to be trying to have a vendor re-image a new disk in a 5 year old DVR system when the alternative would be a new desktop PC for less than $1K. Also, consider using POE hardwired cameras.

If anyone wants a tour of the DIY access and camera system we installed at Hopkinton, PM me. We did everything from our 2000ft of fiber between ranges to the CAN (club area network), access control, and solar power stations using in-club talent.

Last edited:
I got an email that said BRP is upgrading the bullet traps in both indoor ranges. The trap they're using in the new indoor range looks like it's rated for rifle use. Anyone know if BRP will allow rifles (maybe pistol caliber carbines?) once the new traps are installed?
You can be certain that nothing larger than .22LR rifles will be allowed on the indoor ranges.

You need to cultivate your in-house nerd crew (perhaps bribing someone by giving him a "shoot without RO present" dispensation). If you are "bidding for a camera system", you will pay through the nose. Multiple times, since you will pay for a service call every time something acts up. My club bids for tech stuff by asking "Boudrie, how much to ......". Any decent technogeek can install a camera system far cheaper, and with equal quality, to a professional bid system.

I'd suggest avoiding systems with a dedicated DVR, and go for something that uses an off the shelf PC with a few multi-TB hard drives and software you install to do the recording. It makes maintenance MUCH easier when something goes wrong. You don't want to be trying to have a vendor re-image a new disk in a 5 year old DVR system when the alternative would be a new desktop PC for less than $1K. Also, consider using POE hardwired cameras.

If anyone wants a tour of the DIY access and camera system we installed at Hopkinton, PM me. We did everything from our 2000ft of fiber between ranges to the CAN (club area network), access control, and solar power stations using in-club talent.
Rob, I appreciate the info but I stay far clear of Executive BOD business. I've learned not to interfere with what they do or decide.

Even if it costs more, a open bidding system is probably better. Executive BOD is handling large sums of money and all effort should be taken to avoid even the appearance of impropriety when it comes to the use of funds.

FOR BR&P MEMBERS ONLY!
The club is having a swap meet on June 9th.

I stopped by for a quick look Saturday morning. Think I scored a nice deal...Dillon RT1200 power case trimmer with a 223 sizing die mounted on a 550 toolhead for $45. Not loading 223 just yet, just collecting brass but when I do I'll be ready to rock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom