• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Um...no. For about the last 2-3 months the outdoor range has been open every shift. I got out of
the habit of checking the website. Oh well. Live and learn.

Doing some more research and I think the button idea is simpler than I had thought. There are already Smart Buttons that can be linked to IFTTT for automation. So you have a Smart Button linked to its hub and connected to a mobile hotspot. Using IFTTT, it's set up to do something (i.e. post on twitter) when the button is pressed. The amount of programming required for this is little to none.

Minimal security concerns. IFTTT is a cloud based service so they would have access to the device's IP address, which they could approximate a location. If the IFTTT account were to become compromised, it could mean the Twitter account is compromised as well.

As for the hardware itself, there would be no cameras or microphones. It wouldn't be much different than activating an app on your phone, except this is reduced to a physical button and requires no software installation for the user.

Ultimately it's as safe as the smart thermostat in your house...which isn't exactly "safe" from the NSA or someone very motivated but nothing is 100% secure when it comes to internet connected devices.

Edit: Since everyone at the range would have physical access to the hardware, someone could potentially re-program it to do other things like posting something offensive on the Twitter account. Locking up the hub would probably alleviate that. The button itself can stay out in the open. I haven't used this type of home automation before so someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. And then there's the hotspot that someone could physically reset and possibly gain access to though all they would gain is the ability to connect to its wifi network. That would probably need to be locked up as well.

Understood. The hotspot I mentioned uses a cellular network to provide wifi to the Smart Hub. The system is self reliant (other than needing a power source).
This is the cheapest,easiet and best idea for this situation.
I used iffft alot when I was still using a blackberry 10 phone.
Its an awesome little product.

From the website

OUTDOOR RANGE UPDATE

The outdoor pistol ranges will remain closed as work continues through April 7th.

The rifle range will be open and range officers are scheduled

MIDDLE OUTDOOR RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Construction on the outdoor middle range should be completed this week.
The pistol range is open as is the rifle range.
A camera is being installed which will allow members to view whether the outdoor ranges have range officers present and are open or closed. The camera will be able to be viewed on the web site and should be operational by the end of May.

MIDDLE OUTDOOR RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Construction on the outdoor middle range should be completed this week.
The pistol range is open as is the rifle range.
A camera is being installed which will allow members to view whether the outdoor ranges have range officers present and are open or closed. The camera will be able to be viewed on the web site and should be operational by the end of May.

Huge!! Great news.

Any idea if steel will be back on the middle range?

I think that shooters want to know if the outside range is open before heading over. It was a complaint of mine I will admit.
Same here. I voiced it when I was there last talking to one of the RO's thats always there.
Always forget his name though.
But always have it least a 30 min conversation each time I'm there

Message from the Club President​

Range Report
All outdoor ranges are open and operational
. The work has been completed on the outdoor ranges to include additional overhead baffles, extended walls, increased height of the berms as well as some maintenance and repairs.
The indoor ranges are also open. A new floor material has been put down in the new range to make the floor easier to clean with the added benefit of reducing the sound levels.
In order to keep the ranges open, range officers are needed for weekday and weekend shifts. If you have available time, please contact the club via e mail.
The camera system allowing members to view if the outdoor ranges are open or closed should be operational soon. The temporary system turned out to be very temporary. A permanent mounting system will be employed and the system will be a combination of hardwire for the power and wi-fi for the camera. The picture will be able to be viewed on our web site when work is complete.
Efforts are continuing regarding the expansion of the old range to add 6-8 additional shooting lanes, with some of the lanes to be dedicated to rifle shooting. A design is being evaluated and a land survey should be complete by the end of the summer. The planning board has been evaluating bullet traps, target carriers and shooting booths. Finances, of course, dictate both how, and how far we progress with this plan. Efforts by members of the planning board are greatly appreciated.
MEMBER’S MEETING
Member’s meeting will continue through the summer on the second Monday of the month. Club business cannot be conducted unless we have a quorum. Please attend.
INSTRUCTORS
Instructors are reminded to submit updated insurance documents and certificates. Failure to do so will result in loss of privileges. The E-board is also discussing additional charges for instructors either in the cost of dues or a per-person charge for use of the club. Possibly instructors could become range officers and assist with range officer duty if they are not doing so already.
SWAP MEET
Given the success of the prior swap meets, the club will hold another on Saturday, August 26 beginning with set up at 7 AM and continuing until 1 PM. Members are encouraged to bring firearms and firearm related items they wish to sell or trade. Tables will be provided free of charge. Transfers will be handled on site. License and PIN number is required for sales and transfer. Buy, Sell, and Trade. Members and their guests only.
NEW MEMBERS
New member signup will be on line on Tuesday June 27th at 8:00 AM.
Prospective members must register online and
attend orientation on Sunday, July 23.
Persons not registered will not be allowed to attend. Classes fill up quickly.
ACTIVITIES
DCM
continues on the third Saturday of each month. The club supplies all rifles, either AR’s or M1 Garands. Cost is $40.
Trap continues during the summer and is club run on Sundays beginning at noon.
The Pistol Team shoots every Thursday night at 7 PM. All are welcome. Everyone shoots.

I was very happy to see this email the other day. I look forward to checking it out when it goes live!

Anyone know the procedure for patterning a shotgun at Braintree? I know it is allowed at the trap range "under supervision of the trap comittee". Does this mean a committee member needs to actually be present on the range with you?

Anyone know the procedure for patterning a shotgun at Braintree? I know it is allowed at the trap range "under supervision of the trap comittee". Does this mean a committee member needs to actually be present on the range with you?
There is a large standing target frame in the shed behind the rifle range that you can set up at 30yards from the shooting position, you will needs some paper or cardboard about 3 foot by 3foot or so.

Anyone come across a tikka t1x magazine near the rifle range/clubhouse over the weekend? Got a feeling it fell out of my pocket or drag bag.

Back
Top Bottom