• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree is a complete disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toe Knee

NES Member
What a complete joke this club is. poor facilities and poor leadership.

They insist that a range officer is needed in order for the outside facilities to be used. Fine. I was told that it's VERY rare for a range officer to not be on duty when I joined 1.5 years ago. SEVERAL times i've tried to use the rifle range and there were no range officers on duty. You would think that it would be a club's 1st priority to make sure their shooting facilities are up and running 100% of the time. Nope. Nothing but excuses.

Today I check the web site's calendar to make sure that no special events are taking place. I arrived about 9:20. I see that there is a sign up saying the outdoor range is closed and that it would open at about 2pm. I drop in the club house to ask why and two older guys in the club house says there is no reason why the range would be closed and that i should go find out why it wasn't on the calendar or the events board.

I drive out to the rifle range and see that the CMP clinic/match is set up. This is at 9:30am. The Clinic/Match starts at 10. At first, I walk over to inquire if maybe I can still shoot on one of the lanes but realize that's not an option before even asking. I figured that I would politely engage the lead instructor to ask why the event wasn't posted on the club's calendar or events board in the club house. This guy instantly copped an attitude as if I was bothering him. He insisted it was posted on the calendars. I didn't argue, I didn't push the issue with him. A second instructor says that i should jump in and join the clinic. Which i would have LOVED to have done. Nope. The lead instructor insists that it's too late to sign up. This is a half hour before the clinic starts.

I shoot an email to the club through their website. The ONLY way to contact anyone there if you don't happen to catch someone in the club house. This is what it said word for word:

"Please start posting the CMP clinics on the calendar. There is no reason a casual yet supportive member would know that the rifle range is closed during prime shooting season for 5 hours every month. I was there to shoot my own personal rifles but I would have thought i could have at least been able to join the clinic but was all but turned away. Shooting had not even begun."

This is the president of the club's response by email. No balls to call the phone number I left on my email. A keyboard tough guy to say the least. I understand the instructor may have had a bad day or i read him wrong but a president of a club engaging his members this way is incredible:

"The CMP matches are posted on the website they happen on the same day every month. There are also signs in the clubhouse. Stop your ****ing whining
Sent from my iPhone"

The CMP info is several clicks deep on their web page. It should be posted on the online calendar.
Obviously, I'll be looking for new club.

I'm just blown away. Seriously. This is someone who runs a large gun club.

Please understand that the "contact us" feature on the site says nothing about going to the club's president and you would think that it would direct to whoever runs the website.

My answer to the email was this:
"That's a great response from a club's president and a wonderful way to engage a member.
The only listing of the CMP program is buried several clicks deep on the club's website.
Even the instructor thought it would have been and should be listed on the calendar.

2 members in the club house had no idea and insisted the range was open."

This is the response:
"Again, stop your whining. I would suggest you reread your email. No one likes being told what to do as opposed to being asked. We go to great links at the club to make sure all members are informed. The DCM has been operating for over 25 years on the same Saturday of every month. I don't get paid to listen to you complain about something you have no right to complain about. My response stands."

I'm not sure how I told anyone what to do. I brought a legitimate concern up to the "contact us" feature on their website because there is no other way to contact someone from the club. Even for their members.

To be completely clear. My intention is to put this info out there in the hopes that any one wishing to join this facility will know that there are MUCH better in the area.

After reading your posts, I have concluded two indisputable facts.
1- president is a pussy
2- president is a ****ing Zero

Its a 95/93 loop club, honestly what did you expect when you joined? Due diligence failure, lol

I have lots of faults. Due diligence of picking a reasonable club might as well be added to the pile. lol

Last edited:
What a complete joke this club is. poor facilities and poor leadership.

They insist that a range officer is needed in order for the outside facilities to be used. Fine. I was told that it's VERY rare for a range officer to not be on duty when I joined 1.5 years ago. SEVERAL times i've tried to use the rifle range and there were no range officers on duty. You would think that it would be a club's 1st priority to make sure their shooting facilities are up and running 100% of the time. Nope. Nothing but excuses.

Today I check the web site's calendar to make sure that no special events are taking place. I arrived about 9:20. I see that there is a sign up saying the outdoor range is closed and that it would open at about 2pm. I drop in the club house to ask why and two older guys in the club house says there is no reason why the range would be closed and that i should go find out why it wasn't on the calendar or the events board.

I drive out to the rifle range and see that the CMP clinic/match is set up. This is at 9:30am. The Clinic/Match starts at 10. At first, I walk over to inquire if maybe I can still shoot on one of the lanes but realize that's not an option before even asking. I figured that I would politely engage the lead instructor to ask why the event wasn't posted on the club's calendar or events board in the club house. This guy instantly copped an attitude as if I was bothering him. He insisted it was posted on the calendars. I didn't argue, I didn't push the issue with him. A second instructor says that i should jump in and join the clinic. Which i would have LOVED to have done. Nope. The lead instructor insists that it's too late to sign up. This is a half hour before the clinic starts.

I shoot an email to the club through their website. The ONLY way to contact anyone there if you don't happen to catch someone in the club house. This is what it said word for word:

"Please start posting the CMP clinics on the calendar. There is no reason a casual yet supportive member would know that the rifle range is closed during prime shooting season for 5 hours every month. I was there to shoot my own personal rifles but I would have thought i could have at least been able to join the clinic but was all but turned away. Shooting had not even begun."

This is the president of the club's response by email. No balls to call the phone number I left on my email. A keyboard tough guy to say the least. I understand the instructor may have had a bad day or i read him wrong but a president of a club engaging his members this way is incredible:

"The CMP matches are posted on the website they happen on the same day every month. There are also signs in the clubhouse. Stop your ****ing whining
Sent from my iPhone"

The CMP info is several clicks deep on their web page. It should be posted on the online calendar.
Obviously, I'll be looking for new club.

I'm just blown away. Seriously. This is someone who runs a large gun club.

Please understand that the "contact us" feature on the site says nothing about going to the club's president and you would think that it would direct to whoever runs the website.

My answer to the email was this:
"That's a great response from a club's president and a wonderful way to engage a member.
The only listing of the CMP program is buried several clicks deep on the club's website.
Even the instructor thought it would have been and should be listed on the calendar.

2 members in the club house had no idea and insisted the range was open."

This is the response:
"Again, stop your whining. I would suggest you reread your email. No one likes being told what to do as opposed to being asked. We go to great links at the club to make sure all members are informed. The DCM has been operating for over 25 years on the same Saturday of every month. I don't get paid to listen to you complain about something you have no right to complain about. My response stands."

I'm not sure how I told anyone what to do. I brought a legitimate concern up to the "contact us" feature on their website because there is no other way to contact someone from the club. Even for their members.

To be completely clear. My intention is to put this info out there in the hopes that any one wishing to join this facility will know that there are MUCH better in the area.

All of this could have been sorted out had you just scrolled further down the homepage.

27679283641_53157e5a46_b.jpg

Given the neighbor problems they have had, Braintree is lucky to be able to shoot on their outdoor ranges at all. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy.

Other than the obvious safety benefits/inconveniences of a RO, what are the economic benefits (i.e. reduction in liability premium)?

I would respond to the President that he can go **** himself and that you will enjoy telling everyone you meet that he is an ass hole.

His response was inappropriate and to reiterate it even more inappropriate.

TL;DR. Do what I did: let Braintree lapse and join Hopkinton or Harvard.

I would respond to the President that he can go **** himself and that you will enjoy telling everyone you meet that he is an ass hole.

His response was inappropriate and to reiterate it even more inappropriate.

I think he just did! [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

The president has to look up so see what a douche nozzle is.

I let my membership there lapse back in the mid-80's for similar reasons, very poorly run club. I guess nothing has changed in 30 years.

The website has a calendar on it; seems like it's the range's responsibility to update it.

The last two times I've tried to just show up to use the rifle range in the middle of the day, midweek, it's been closed due to no RO being around. It sucks. Has the club ever considered using non-volunteer ROs? It seems like it should be big enough to justify and support them.

I am not to sure,but I think the club has over 3000 members so a person leaving or bad mouthing the place is not going to hurt it. I think your best bet is to get all your info together, show up at the next meeting,and state your case.I have been a member of that club for over 25 years,and never really have run into any problems.What I love about it is the 24 hour indoor range,but then again I also belong to another club.No RO,s on duty,but they only have around 300 members.

Here's the calander

http://www.brp.org/Calendar/tabid/1137/Default.aspx

Range looks free until 2 pm.

And here's the schedule that's three clicks into the website and posted indoors.
http://www.brp.org/Portals/72/PDFs/cmpschedule2016.pdf

The last two times I've tried to just show up to use the rifle range in the middle of the day, midweek, it's been closed due to no RO being around. It sucks. Has the club ever considered using non-volunteer ROs? It seems like it should be big enough to justify and support them.

Check the new clubhouse, sometimes they're in there getting a snack or coffee and get to BS'ing with someone.

I am not to sure,but I think the club has over 3000 members so a person leaving or bad mouthing the place is not going to hurt it. I think your best bet is to get all your info together, show up at the next meeting,and state your case.I have been a member of that club for over 25 years,and never really have run into any problems.What I love about it is the 24 hour indoor range,but then again I also belong to another club.No RO,s on duty,but they only have around 300 members.

Hold on, handle it like an adult?

The RO on duty to use outdoor range is BS. Same as Danvers......they don't trust you.

A lot of the members join because their CoP made them before issuing a LTC, at least that's what I've been told, and you wouldn't believe some of the idiots I've seen there that the ROs have yelled at. I've seen guys start walking down to the 50yd targets while the range was hot. I've seen guys turn the cold range light off while there were others still on the range because they apparently thought they were the only ones there. Shortly after I joined I noticed a guy try to mortar his AR forward of the roof because of a malfunction without removing his magazine, now I don't know about you but I've seen more than one slam fire happen(good luck staying open given the population density if one popped off).

CMP match had been 3rd Saturday of the month since Christ was a Corporal.
http://brp.org/Portals/72/PDFs/cmpschedule2016.pdf

MARCH 19 APRIL 16 MAY 21 JUNE 18 JULY 16 AUGUST 13 SEPTEMBER 17 OCTOBER 15 NOVEMBER 19

The second last job in the world I'd want is RC chairman. (Yacht Club Commadore is #1 at turning recreational fun into a ****ing nightmare: you can't sink assets at a RC).

Does Joe Norman still run the RO's? Back when this was a new policy (maybe 2002?) they asked for volunteers to be RO's. I'd been RO or SO OR OIC many times in the Army so volunteered once or twice a week all summer. Come Fall and they have a meeting to announce "permanent" RO's and they give "Friends of Joe" badges: then ask me if I'll keep volunteering. No thanks, you and the Koffee Klatsch can take over. ....Guess I didn't buy any stuff he's trying to sell.

In fairness most of the board positions go unopposed as no one wants the job. I just use the indoor ranges. Had a goal to shoot two CMP matches a year, unfulfilled.

Last edited:
I understand the OP's frustration. I think the Pres' response was immature and rude. However......my guess.....and i could be wrong but I would think range officers would be able to shoot anytime they want. Least ways that was how it was at my club when we had the R/OP system that Braintree has. I looked at their calendar and also clicked around to see if I could find if the event mentioned was scheduled. I couldn't find it. So i agree with the OP that it should be on the calendar. Otherwise what is the point of having one.

But when i was clicking through I noticed a guy in charge of the R/O's....why not sign up to be one and put some time into the club and get to know the inner workings a bit? And you would probably be able to use the ranges mostly at your convenience. Of course you would have to inquire about that through them. I have no idea what their rules are. But we did it that way once upon a time.

The biggest problem about an R/O system like this is that the duty gets assigned but the people can't always make it. That's why we abandoned that system.

Again, I think the club's response is wrong...but most often they probably only hear complaints from people who are either very minimally involved or try to use the range once or twice per year and then complain that it didn't fit their schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom