• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brady Campaign: U.S. Supreme Court Decides to Hear Second Amendment Case

U.S. Supreme Court Decides to Hear Second Amendment Case
We need your help to defend America's gun laws: we are more than halfway to our goal
Dear Helen,

Last week, as we were heading into our Thanksgiving holidays, the U.S. Supreme Court decided to take what could be the most significant Second Amendment case in our country’s history.
We have a tidal wave of work to do in the weeks ahead and we need your help now.

The good news is that thanks to your support, your Brady legal team had already begun preparing for this announcement, but now our lawyers have swung into high gear.

And you, our online donors, have also swung into high gear: since last week, you have contributed more than $30,000 to our Brady Gun Law Defense Fund, which is more than halfway to our goal of raising $50,000 by November 30!

Help us reach our goal: click here to make a tax-deductible contribution to the Brady Gun Law Defense Fund to protect America’s gun laws.

In March, a U.S. Court of Appeals struck down a gun law as violating the Second Amendment for the first time in American history. We believe this decision was judicial activism at its worst and was clearly wrong.

The U.S. Supreme Court will now have the opportunity to reverse a clearly erroneous decision and make it clear that the Constitution does not prevent communities from having the gun laws they believe are needed to protect public safety.

In the last week, we have had a barrage of national and regional media requests to educate the American public on the Second Amendment. And the Brady team is also hard at work coordinating and supporting legal briefs that will be filed by law enforcement, doctors and nurses, law professors, historians and others. Next will come oral arguments, more media requests and more educational outreach.

Please give generously and help us reach our goal of $50,000 by November 30 — we are more than half way there! And since your gift will be going to our Brady Gun Law Defense Fund, it will be fully tax-deductible.
Sincerely,

Sarah Brady, Chair

You can also mail a check to:
Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence
1225 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005

What twisters they are!

We need your help to defend America's gun laws: we are more than halfway to our goal

Give me a frickin' break. Defend America's gun laws? Oh, you mean defend the further restriction of the right to own a gun. These people make me sick. [puke]

In 2008, the Supreme Court of the United States will be hearing what promises to be a very important case for all of us. There's no shortage of speculation regarding what will happen. Ultimately, all our speculating won't mean much, but it's certainly keeping the dialog lively.

I've also been reading the anti-gun blogs. It's really revealing to see how they spin the Supreme Court's decision to hear the case. The net-net of their verbiage, however, always comes down to this: get out your checkbook and send us money. Otherwise, we'll lose this vitally important decision.

The last time I looked, the Supreme Court didn't decide cases based on fundraising efforts...[thinking]

In 2008, the Supreme Court of the United States will be hearing what promises to be a very important case for all of us. There's no shortage of speculation regarding what will happen. Ultimately, all our speculating won't mean much, but it's certainly keeping the dialog lively.

I've also been reading the anti-gun blogs. It's really revealing to see how they spin the Supreme Court's decision to hear the case. The net-net of their verbiage, however, always comes down to this: get out your checkbook and send us money. Otherwise, we'll lose this vitally important decision.

They're running scared... real scared about this case
(which gives me a warm, happy glowing feeling in my tummy [smile]).

I've read dozens of newspaper articles, editorials, opinion pieces, web forums, etc since the decision to hear the case was announced. The impression I'm getting is about 90% positive (in our favor).
The last time I looked, the Supreme Court didn't decide cases based on fundraising efforts...[thinking]

The Bradys sent out a fund raising email a couple of weeks ago.

The money is needed (so they claim), in order to put together their
friend of the court/amicus curiae brief.

U.S. Supreme Court to Hear Second Amendment Case
We need your help to defend America's gun laws

Brady Gun Law Defense Fund

Just minutes ago, the U.S. Supreme Court decided to take what could be the most significant Second Amendment case in our country's history.

Thanks to your support, your Brady legal team had already begun preparing for this announcement, but now our lawyers have swung into high gear to prepare our "friend of the court" brief.

We have a tidal wave of work to do in the weeks ahead and we need your help now.

This fight is so critical that we need to raise $50,000 by November 30. And since your gift will be going to our Brady Gun Law Defense Fund, it will be fully tax deductible!

We need your help today to build a strong Brady Gun Law Defense Fund to protect America’s gun laws. Please give today.

Earlier this year, a U.S. Court of Appeals struck down a gun law as violating the Second Amendment for the first time in American history. We believe this decision was judicial activism at its worst and was clearly wrong.

This legal case at its very core is the most important battle we have ever waged. The U.S. Supreme Court has the chance to reverse a terribly erroneous decision and make it clear that the American people can adopt restrictions on firearms in their communities.

If the Supreme Court does not reverse the federal appeals court decision, gun laws everywhere could be at risk…

…from the long-standing machine gun ban…to the 1968 Gun Control Act…to the Brady background check law.

…to your local and state laws…like the ones in California and New Jersey banning military-style Assault Weapons… and many more.

If that happens, then your Brady Center will defend these laws in the courts as we have done so many times in the past against the attacks of the gun lobby. But now we must focus on the immediate challenge at hand as we prepare for the fight in the U.S. Supreme Court. Please give generously.

Sincerely,

Sarah Brady, Chair

P.S. I cannot stress how important your gift is to our Brady Gun Law Defense Fund. Please give a tax-deductible gift today.

What I find so amusingly pathetic is that they're desperate to scrape together a measly $50,000. I guess it shows how much backing they really have. Whatever happened to their high-roller backers and contributers? A Rosie O'Donnell, Susan Sarandon, George Soros type could pay that out from pocket change. Whatever happened with their pro bono lawyers?

Yep... the Bradys ain't looking so good these days. [smile]

And just what standing do they have in this case? They should not even be heard in court.

They don't need standing. They're filing a friend of the court brief
(a legal document that basically states why the court should hear the case, backed up with legal precedent and historical/Constitutional evidence).

Defend our gun laws?? Oh, yes and fill our pockets with tax-deductible donations, too. What a scam.

It's more like "we're asking you to send us money, because it's
better for us PR wise to pander for money from gullible anti-gun
americans than to ask multi-billionaire george soros to draft us a
check. "

-Mike

What I find so amusingly pathetic is that they're desperate to scrape together a measly $50,000. I guess it shows how much backing they really have. Whatever happened to their high-roller backers and contributers? A Rosie O'Donnell, Susan Sarandon, George Soros type could pay that out from pocket change. Whatever happened with their pro bono lawyers?

Yep... the Bradys ain't looking so good these days. [smile]

Wouldn't surprise me though if Soros appears at the 11th hour with
a check. The reason they didn't ask him up front is probably
because it's better for PR if they can say "we had an outpouring
of support from XXXX contributors and quickly raised the money."
they're also trying to play the "hide the weenie" game with regards
to the fact that scumbags like soros are really the only things out
there funding/operating 75% of all gun control initiatives.

I can agree though that if they can't cough up a measly 50 grand
than it basically shows how little people really "care" about gun
control. IMO it's always been a parasitic special interest
group, with very little "real" support. (the death of the MMM is a
good indicator of this; last time they "marched" the SAS
opposition got more press time than they did) It also doesn't
help their case that the MMM got caught red handed breaking
federal tax laws, abusing some kind of office space arrangement at
a hospital (and got kicked out, and brady had to bail them out
and basically sweep them under a rug) among other things- and
then the cherry on top was that bitch donna-dees-thomases
getting bagged on an illegal gun charge! [laugh]

It also isn't helping them that facts wise, Brady and VPC basically
set themselves up for failure- by propping up their agenda on
easily debunkable lies and misrepresentations. It's getting to the
point where it's easier to debunk Brady/VPC than it is to do the
same with other obvious shams, like Sci*ntology.

I will only be pleased, however, when the antis get marginalized
to the same degree as an org like PETA- eg, 98% of the
population doesn't care/doesn't pay attention to them, and
most people keep eating all kinds of meat. [laugh]

-Mike

As much as I hate the "Brady Bunch" and what they stand for . . .

- They are doing the same thing that NRA does (and we always complain about).

- Every event, story, court case is just an excuse to "beg for bucks" with an approach that reads that if "the reader" does not donate, a pox on their head and the org's entire efforts will fail.

- They will always tell you a "goal", but will happily rake in double or triple that amount.

It's the use of good marketing techniques, nothing more or less.

We'll all be getting our NRA "begging for bucks" letters and Emails shortly too.

Back
Top Bottom