• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boyfriend loophole

And that's different from a restraining order right?
My ex wife had two restraining orders on me. Both were dropped. I put them in my LTC application. I had no problems getting my LTC 6 years ago. Conviction means it went to court. That’s different from just having restraining order on you.

My ex wife had two restraining orders on me. Both were dropped. I put them in my LTC application. I had no problems getting my LTC 6 years ago. Conviction means it went to court. That’s different from just having restraining order on you.
Same situation only difference is it was not my wife,it was a baby's mother....I have a sealed record and 2 restraining orders and still got my ltc..

Look at Mr. Fancypants paying the extra 62 cents per month to Ma Bell for a special color phone. I wish I had that kind of money. ;)

I bet you've got the princess extension in your bedroom, don't you? Are you gonna spring for touch-tone service when it comes in a few years?

The definition of a dating relationship is squishy and nebulous. It does not require any prior (voluntary) sexual contact between the offender and the victim
This was an issue in NJ when they changed the DV laws to include the "dating relationship". They have no idea. One date...live together??? They won't answer it.

My thought..if you have a dating relationship and it goes south,......you are barred from possessing a firearm for self protection? I'm guessing there has to be cohabitation for it to apply.

A female lieutenant cop told me 95% of the TROs they serve are a complete waste of time, BS. I already knew, but she went on about how people use the courts and cops as weapons oil divorces, custody disputes, bad break ups, etc

If someone is evil and knows how the system works, they can use the courts to really make someones life hell and rack up a lot of legal expenses.
Mosrt are dropped or the plantiff never shows for the court hearing. It got so bad that our judge years ago made them attend counselingeven if they did wish to drop it. Didn't do a dam thing but it busted their balls for wastuing her time. This female judge had little patience for the bogus complaints.

People most definatly use the courts and the dv laws for their vindicrtive means.

This was an issue in NJ when they changed the DV laws to include the "dating relationship". They have no idea. One date...live together??? They won't answer it.

My thought..if you have a dating relationship and it goes south,......you are barred from possessing a firearm for self protection? I'm guessing there has to be cohabitation for it to apply.

They'll just wash their hands of those kinds of questions and let the courts work it out in the future. It's the modern way of legislating.

Why wouldn't what you described also apply to married couples?

I am not sure I follow your example, if the kid was married she would have been able to do the same to him.

Her point is that the whole system is abused, and that's generally true. A lot of these law tweaks have the potential to make it worse by increasing the scope of influence.

I can see that the laws need to evolve with society, I guess: people just aren't getting married anymore, for a host of reasons, but that doesn't mean they're not at some level committed, or in love, or whatever. "Families" and "couples" just don't look the same as they used to.

But the devil's in the details. The proposed definition in the statute about what "dating" means is just begging to be taken to court. But then, that's how our system works.

Yeah but it's pretty obvious to me that some states that dont give broads pushbutton EZ bake restraining orders if they dont live together that barrier was likely erected for a reason.... to reduce the captain obvious abuses of the system. It's also obvious to me that libtards and antis want to broaden these things to more easily disable more people (mostly men)( from having access to guns etc to increase the perceived burdens of firearm ownership.

Things like 209As etc are already problematic because in most states those ROs are basically at least initially rubber stamped by a kangaroo court. The judge that gets paged in the middle of the night because Dowanna Worka claims baby daddy #4 is "threatening her with words" and is scaree, that judge is just going to rubber stamp that shit so they can go back to sleep. [rofl]

What about the girlfriend loophole, any news?

Ironically in using the term "boyfriend loophole" the commies have basically profiled the inherent sexism/misandrism in the whole RO system.

They might have well just called it the "N***er loophole" frankly, it should be just as offensive as saying that, it's just that nobody says anything because its PC to shit on males generically for anything.

Reminds me of this news thing where I saw some guy was trying to save an errant/escaped toddler from getting smoked bycars on a busy highway, He didn't just run into the street and grab the kid, he parked his truck on the side of the road with hazards on and cajoled the kid into somehow going back where he came from.... but he didnt want to get close to the kid lest he got "accused of something" which these days is a very real possibility.

Our society is so f***ed now that generic, default hatred of men is "just accepted".

If people that abuse their partners could lawfully be killed in response, none of this foolishness would matter.

Beat your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend? They shoot you without risking jail. Everybody lives happily ever after. Well, most everybody, anyhow.

... I had a temp restraining order about 10 years ago from a girlfriend and now I'm worried they might try taking my LTC and firearms away...I can't seem to find a right answer anywhere...
Was it a restraining order issued pursuant to M.G.L. c. 209A,
or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction?

Same situation only difference is it was not my wife,it was a baby's mother....I have a sealed record and 2 restraining orders and still got my ltc..
Did you get competent legal advice about how that "sealed" record
relates to the LTC process before filing the first application after you got that record?

Reminds me of this news thing where I saw some guy was trying to save an errant/escaped toddler from getting smoked bycars on a busy highway, He didn't just run into the street and grab the kid, he parked his truck on the side of the road with hazards on and cajoled the kid into somehow going back where he came from.... but he didnt want to get close to the kid lest he got "accused of something" which these days is a very real possibility.
[wave]
During Field Day setup I moved a painted turtle out of the access road.
I apologized to it.
I didn't want to seem insensitive.

Was it a restraining order issued pursuant to M.G.L. c. 209A,
or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction?

Did you get competent legal advice about how that "sealed" record
relates to the LTC process before filing the first application after you got that record?
I have my LTC..the police chief told me to put on my application that I have a sealed record and 2 restraining orders. The reason he told me to put sealed record on my application was because I went to the court house to get my record and they could not look it up because it was sealed so I did not know exactly what was on my record besides a DUI and a assault and battery that I was never convicted of..the reason I had a sealed record is because I'm an electrician that does union work and they would not let me work at a certain college with the assault and battery showing..but anyways I was able to get my LTC and was worried that the restraining orders would come back to haunt me one day after this bill was passed...

Ironically in using the term "boyfriend loophole" the commies have basically profiled the inherent sexism/misandrism in the whole RO system.

They might have well just called it the "N***er loophole" frankly, it should be just as offensive as saying that, it's just that nobody says anything because its PC to shit on males generically for anything.

Our society is so f***ed now that generic, default hatred of men is "just accepted".
It's nothing new, try sitting pond side with a camera and see how fast the cops show up.

Awhile back photography was a hobby of mine and I'd head out after work(3rd shift) to decompress from the BS. There was this one park I'd visit(4 of the 9 species of Herons in Ma. would frequent it) and set up pretty much as deep into it as one could viewing across the pond, away from anyone that would be in the park area(not that there was usually anyone else there at that time of morning). I'd plant myself in a cluster of small trees, drop two of the legs of my tripod in the water and wait. After a bit the local wildlife would settle down and act as if I wasn't there enabling me to get shots like this.

1656263618275.png

With a set up like this(add an additional 6 inches or so for the lens hood), not exactly stealthy.

1656263826389.png

Didn't matter though, I've got a penis so I've got be up to no good.

BTW that pic was from 2008 so yeah, nothing new wrt default hatred. Woman with camera = wildlife photographer. Man with a camera = pedo.

The Boyfriend Loophole sounds like something to do with pegging.

And honestly - Boyfriend Loophole will save ones of lives a year. Gosh. So much effort into such a meaningless stupid probably illegal law.
It's already against the law to harass, stalk, physically assault someone. How about we just use those laws already on the books until we find a specific situation that doesn't fit, yet needs to be addressed?

I have my LTC..
Tons of people have LTCs who are either Prohibited Persons
(which makes them felons if they so much as lay a cuticle on
guns or ammo - let alone buy, sell or own it),
or have unrecognized omissions in their criminal record
(which if their chief finds out about them and doesn't like the facts
will cause their LTC to be denied at renewal, or rescinded mid-license).

Some unsuitability issues should go away once someone in a position of power
explains Thursday's SCOTUS ruling to Mass using firm language.
(But some could remain even then - serious facts unknown to the licensing
authorities because they are on paper court records).

... the police chief told me to put on my application that I have a sealed record and 2 restraining orders. The reason he told me to put sealed record on my application was because I went to the court house to get my record and they could not look it up because it was sealed so I did not know exactly what was on my record besides a DUI and a assault and battery that I was never convicted of..the reason I had a sealed record is because I'm an electrician that does union work and they would not let me work at a certain college with the assault and battery showing..but anyways I was able to get my LTC and was worried that the restraining orders would come back to haunt me one day after this bill was passed...
You're very lucky because some chiefs would probably deny on that basis.
Unless that "sealed" DUI was a conviction (what you wrote was confusing)...

Read about it here:

Section 12005 of the Senate gun control deal expands traditional domestic violence protections from spouse and ex-spouses to “dating relationships.”

This the list of prohibited purchasers in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) will include certain boyfriends and girlfriends, should the Senate gun control deal become law.

The bill says, “The term ‘dating relationship’ means a relationship between individuals who have or have recently had a a continuing serious relationship or a romantic or intimate nature.”

The legislation indicates the “length of the relationship,” “the nature of the relationship,” and the “frequency and type of interaction between individuals involved in the relationship,” all play a role in determining if the relationship is, in fact, a “dating relationship.”

The legislation does not indicate who will decide which relationships qualify as a “dating relationship.” Because of such ambiguities the NRA noted, “The NRA noted, “This bill leaves too much discretion in the hands of government officials and also contains undefined and overboard provisions — inviting interference with our constitutional freedoms.”
My biggest issue with this ruling is; it would impact ALL of my professional and personal relationships outside of marriage.

Heck, if someone gets my zoom call logs over the last three years; I'm fully in a boyfriend relationship by the play here with over fifty people in at least 10 different countries!!?!

Not at the street hookup. Even if the telco let's you keep using that. Sorry to burst your man-bubble.

Now... If you had that hooked up to a radio network of some opensource flavor. ...
I figured that something was fishy after my phone wire left the house...

1656280466222.png

Lol. "man-bubble"...

I did not get a conviction on anything I have on my record,hence the reason I was able to get my LTC. I know about 4 people with an LTC that have stuff on there record worst than me but they got there ltc. A conviction is a conviction and if your not convicted of something then I guess it does not matter...but anyways the only thing I was worried about was if past restraining orders would come back to haunt me but from what I have read?it will only be for issues that happen once the bill was signed into place and anything there after..so hopefully I'm good..

Also I went through about 15 background checks since my licence with purchasing firearms and even though I wait the full brady date everytime I buy a gun and dont ever get a reply(except one time it only took me 2 days to get a response),I'm still able to get my firearm.in fact I'm waiting on a nics check right now..so I would imagine they would have spotted something a while ago if that was the case...

Look at Mr. Fancypants paying the extra 62 cents per month to Ma Bell for a special color phone. I wish I had that kind of money. ;)

I bet you've got the princess extension in your bedroom, don't you? Are you gonna spring for touch-tone service when it comes in a few years?

The real upgrade is moving off the party line onto a private line.

In mass the 209a and 209 orders are and have always been available to people in a dating relationship.
Mass defines dating as 3 more individual connections. Meet the same person for coffee, drinks, lunch, dinner, at the supermarket and they meet the mass defined dating threshold for filing for a 209 209a order.

For other civil restraining orders i believe 358e covers those. Thats for known people harrasing you that your not involved with either as a partner, spouse or dating.

Back
Top Bottom