Boy Scout dies of self-inflicted gunshot at scout camp

Title should read: Boy Commits Suicide.

With that said, I'm very sorry for all involved. It's a terrible thing for the family, the other scouts and their families.

No firearms activities at the camp so he brought it with him, or acquired it some where on the way there.. or another scouts?

Yeah sad day.

Not clear it was suicide. 12 year scouts fool around a lot with unintended tragic consequences. No mention of where at camp. I was not aware this ocean sports camp had a rifle range.

There was a non-fatal stabbing at Camp Wanocksett (eastern side of Mt. Monadnock) a while back. Some said it was an accident from fooling around.
Another report mentions a handgun as the weapon. Very few scout camps have handguns.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jun/30/boy-11-shot-in-head-fiesta-island-boy-scout/

Did the scout bring a handgun from home?

Last edited:
I used to live just right by Fiesta Island. What a shame. I'm share that the politicians will now shut this camp down and probably blame the Boy Scouts for it!

Suck and tragic news. Hope this will not affect future scout camp on firearm activities. My son is taking rifle merit badges for the coming scout camp in August.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Fiesta Island has no shooting range. It is a sandy flat piece of land on Mission Bay. Suitable for camping and boating. That was THE place to go drinking after dark when underage.........40 years ago!

Parents have not been told to come and pick up their kids, and camp will continue as usual.

Really? I think I would be taking my kid home if he had been there. We would have talked it over and got him some help as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heartbreaking! I HAVE to wonder how a twelve year old got a loaded rifle... - unsupervised???

Article says handgun- makes more sense as it's easier to conceal. The father was there, so perhaps that's a factor. Sad stuff- my guess is accidental or suicide despite the news article playing the 'investigation' angle. Sorry for the family and the other scouts.

Back
Top Bottom