Boy Finds Live Grenade While Magnet Fishing

Ready to explode??? Lol

I’d heave it back into the water. Let the UW team AND the bomb squad get a workout that day.

Bet you it was inert. Probably someone bought it surplus.

My dad made me a set of bookends out of a pair of inert grenades when I was a kid. I often wonder how much pants shitting those would cause if anyone ever found them.

Pin pulled, handle gone, and even I can see that the little flapper thingy has come around and hid the detonator. So either it's a long time ago dud or it was an inert the whole time. Probably the latter. Regardless, what's the big deal, drop it back in and walk away. And dad was special forces and couldn't tell this? I'm thinking not so special.

I think if God was watching over him he would have pulled up something better...like the first of dozens of gold bars.

Pin gone, spoon gone... dud or dummy.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be that certain about it being inert.

The place where the kid lives is practically right next door to Ft. Bragg.

I was stationed there for 4 years and from what I saw and heard, if anyone was so inclined and had the opportunity, munitions/explosives were not

that difficult to make off with.

A grenade might be a bit more of a challenge, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sigh.

Looks like old dad is very special forces. Grenades are the most disappointing things I’ve ever fired. Totally unimpressed after seeing their power in movies.

I found an inert grenade in my stack of crap and tried to make a shifter knob for my car out of it. Too cold in this weather so I put it in my glove box. My daughter found it and said “blue is dummy, right?” I thought she was talking politics, lol. Then I saw the grenade and told her she was right, so she started playing with it. Now I’m glad no one saw her tossing it around in the car. Lol.

Panic is required.

Yes, it was either a dud, or inert, but that's not news. Of course, if it were a legitimate dud, there might have been fun stuff in the body.

Someone told me that while they were in Basic, a fuse body popped out of a practice grenade body, and the unit spent ~10 person/hours looking just that. I cant imagine the dust-up over an entire bang ball.

Could have been a practice grenade, in there were a hole in the bottom. I've found them at yard sales, and always look there, first. [laugh]
Practice grenades are blue in color with the hole in the bottom.
I've thrown many of them.

Jeeze, the article says that it was live and they detonated it on site.

No one will ever know if it was live or drilled out other than those present. It would have been detonated with other explosives, usually overkill, and would be hard to tell if it was live.

weak sauce

meanwhile on potato field in Ukraine:

2017-10-14_10_amm2.jpg

weak sauce

meanwhile on potato field in Ukraine:

Unexploded ordnance is pretty common in certain parts of Europe, like Ukraine, northern France, Belgium, etc. What I really want to see pictures of are the potatoes.

Pin pulled, handle gone, and even I can see that the little flapper thingy has come around and hid the detonator. So either it's a long time ago dud or it was an inert the whole time. Probably the latter. Regardless, what's the big deal, drop it back in and walk away. And dad was special forces and couldn't tell this? I'm thinking not so special.
There are special forces and "special" forces...

I can hear the conversation between the EOD guy's.....

"Hey Ralph, it's just a dud, see the whole in the bottom."

"Sheese man, turn it over to hide the bottom, and I will snap a pic, then we can say it was live and we get to blow something
today, and get our hazardous duty pay."

"I like the way you think Ralph."

Seriously, what EOD guy would want to go home without blowing up something!

Sigh.

Looks like old dad is very special forces. Grenades are the most disappointing things I’ve ever fired. Totally unimpressed after seeing their power in movies.
And after the movies and the practice grenades I was shocked as $#1+ when we went to use the real ones. We were around the back of a hill, and the ground was shaking. I asked the Drill Sergeant if it was artillery. He said "No, Private. That's just grenades". After that, I didn't want to walk around the hill and actually use one of those things. Especially since it was heavier than any of the practice ones or dummy ones, and we were expected to throw it 35 meters.

The trick to finding a grenade is finding one with the rifle still attached...

M1_Garand_rifgren-shooting_line.jpg

Back
Top Bottom