• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boxboro 2017 NES Meetup?

Did anyone attend WA1JXR's antenna modeling seminar? If yes, what did you think?

I was talking to him today about it since I missed it.

Brilliant guy. Has worked at Raytheon for 40 years.

Fear not, the Billerica club had cameras in all of the rooms and recorded something like 30-35 of the seminars. They will be posted on their archive.org web site in a few weeks once they are edited and will run on Billerica public access TV as well.

Fear not, the Billerica club had cameras in all of the rooms and recorded something like 30-35 of the seminars. They will be posted on their archive.org web site in a few weeks once they are edited and will run on Billerica public access TV as well.

This is good. Maybe I can really learn something then. Taking the test only taught me the answers to the test. I am still just as incompetent radio operator now as I was three days ago before I got my ticket!

This is good. Maybe I can really learn something then. Taking the test only taught me the answers to the test. I am still just as incompetent radio operator now as I was three days ago before I got my ticket!

I wouldn't get too hung up on that. I felt the same way after I got my tech. The only way to learn in this hobby is to "do". The stuff you memorized on the test will begin to make sense once you get on the air and start building your station. Best advice I can give you is join a club and find an Elmer.

I wouldn't get too hung up on that. I felt the same way after I got my tech. The only way to learn in this hobby is to "do". The stuff you memorized on the test will begin to make sense once you get on the air and start building your station. Best advice I can give you is join a club and find an Elmer.
Good advice.
The way it was put to me was "Don't get hung up on the theory. If you stick with the hobby that will come in time. By memorizing the answers you've learned enough rules and procedures to stay out of trouble. Now, go get on the air!"

Like BF says, the best thing to do is get with other hams. Join a club. Get an Elmer friend. Keep the chatter here going. Volunteer for public service events (Don't worry. They'll train a newb.). Next June, definitely go hang out at a club's Field Day location.

When I got my ticked I told myself "OK, now I have a license to learn." And the beauty of ham radio is you can stay active in it your whole life and not run out of things to learn.

So y boss pointed out a great thing about my call sign. Non standard phonetic alphabet but it woks for me!!!!!

KC1IDB

Kilo Charlie One I Drink Beer
Excellent! And useful.
Some day you'll be down in the noise and the other station can't quite make out your call but is doing what he should do-trying hard to complete the contact. Having a second way to say your call will give him what he needs to figure out the one or 2 characters he can't quite make out in the noise.

So y boss pointed out a great thing about my call sign. Non standard phonetic alphabet but it woks for me!!!!!

KC1IDB

Kilo Charlie One I Drink Beer

Were you at the Paxton club meeting last Thursday? I know we had a couple KC1-I calls join the club.

Congrats by the way!

Did anyone attend WA1JXR's antenna modeling seminar? If yes, what did you think?

I was talking to him today about it since I missed it.

Brilliant guy. Has worked at Raytheon for 40 years.

Blindfire, have they posted the seminars yet? Got a link?

Were you at the Paxton club meeting last Thursday? I know we had a couple KC1-I calls join the club.

Congrats by the way!

I was there. I joined the club after the meeting so I wasn't voted on yet....I hope you don't vote against me now because I am also on this fourm! [rofl]

I was there. I joined the club after the meeting so I wasn't voted on yet....I hope you don't vote against me now because I am also on this fourm! [rofl]

Meh...AHM is a member here and a member of the Paxton club. I don't hold that against him.... [grin]

Back
Top Bottom