• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bowling Pins at MRA

Shooting pins with a rifle or a shotgun does nothing for me. Targets are too close. But some like it. When is the club going to shoot pins like hairy-chested men - with handguns?

Whitey, I just picked up a 10mm 610 and have started loading for it. First time I've ever owned a .40/10mm ofany kind. Gun shoots nice after I took about 4 pounds off the springs and smoothed the machine marks out of the guts. May or may not shoot this Sunday at MRA as there is a pin shoot out at Westminster that I heard about. Does anyone know about Westminster's pin events for November?

DA John

Shooting pins with a rifle or a shotgun does nothing for me. Targets are too close. ...

DA John

Bowling Pins at 25yds indoors and 50yds outdoors is too close?? sure if it was bench rest - but off hand with the clock running and some shooting irons...

What distance would you prefer ?

Last edited:
Does anyone know about Westminster's pin events for November?

As far as I know, Westminster will be shooting pins on 11/2 & 11/9. I would call Lloyd @ Match Shot (978-632-6499) to confirm that the shoot is still happening.

Matt

John,

To rehash PMD. We have had others say the same thing "oh thats too easy for me" and show up and have a hell of a hard time. We have been doing this for quite a few years now and it is most definitely harder than it looks. Outside at 50 yd times are between 8 and 15 seconds on average.

Inside at 90' you better run in the 6's or 7's if you want to place. At least thats how it was last Sunday when I handed the whoop-ass out to everyone and went home with the big payout. [shocked][laugh][laugh][shocked]

Seriously, it really is more of a challenge than it looks. You have got to try it. You'll have fun. The best part is that all of us have hot and cold days on rifle pins and anyone of us can win at any time. You should hear the badgering goin on at the match. You would enjoy. Just don't shoot the rack - you'll never hear the end of it when more than one pin falls! [wink]

610 is one I have wanted for a long time. I hope you enjoy it and you bring it Sunday so I can check it out. I bet you will find a nice 10mm or 40 load for steel shooting with it. Is it moon clipped?

Last edited:
I meant shooting pins at 25 feet with a long arm was not interesting to me. The longer distances is fun for those who like it. I'm not a rifle/shotgun guy, that's all.

Whitey, the gun is a moon-clip gun. I do plan to load it down with .40s for the indoor plates at MRA this winter when I'm around. Have chronoed this gun with 180 grain cast bullets and compressed loads (13.0) of 2400. Even with the short 3.875" barrel it reaches 1257 fps. Not quite a .41 magnum, but it's enough for pin shooting. And that's all I'm really interested in. I though this would be better than an M-29 .44 mag because it can be reloaded much faster with the clips.

Plan to shoot Westminster Sunday, will see you some time at MRA with this gun.

SA John

Back
Top Bottom