Bow Season Progess?

So how's everyone doing thing year so far in whitetail bow season? Compare to last year and years past. Seeing good sign or not so much? I know at the present moment we're 3 days in but this thread could grow a little. I personally have only seen two does about 75 yards out at 6:30 tonight in three strait nights. I know some of you guys already have deer down, so well done. Happy hunting gentlemen.

Four hunts in and had some good action just no shots. Fighting a cold and had a few coughs at some critical points (tonight at 6:15).

been out 5 times .. first 3 times i saw lots of deer .. but like ham said no good shots , this is my first year with bow and im quickly learning how important shot placement is .. i dont want to be a sloppy hunter

Last edited:
Came to full draw on what I thought was a doe, but turned out to be a spike by the time it got close enough for a shot. Problem was I drew waaaay too early and by the time it got to me my arm was shaking like crazy. It hadn't presented a good shot either (walking straight to me face first the whole way). I let the bow back as quietly as I could while it was under my stand. It moved another couple of feet, and then got spooked by some noise in the distance and took off running. I don't think I've ever been as excited about failing in my life. This is only my second season, and I was not successful my first. I've been learning as I've been going, and I feel like I'm doing a lot better this year.

been out since 4 .. has 2 does and a 6 point 30 yrds out but the under growth keep me from shooting .. had a couple does walking thru.. in total saw 7 deer .. all out my range for me .. i shimmied down and climbed up another tree 30 more yards in like a ninja but didnt see anything from then on .. go figure. I was suppose to only be out till about 11 am but with all the activity i just couldnt leave, I just cant believe how many deer im seeing , this is my first bow season , last year was my first shotgun .. the difference is like night and day.. and i truly feel like bow hunting has already made me a better hunter in general and i can see how it will continue to apply, im so close to dropping one i can taste it .. with lots of butter garlic and mushrooms :)

I had a simmilar experience with the last 2 posts. I was hunting on the ground next to a private field, not at all paying attention the to field because its off limits. a small 6 pointer litterly almost landed on me after it hopped the wire fince i was sitting next to, scared the crap out of me. anyways we were face to face 8 ft apart had a staring contest for a few seconds gave me a wiff then took off about 20 yards. i grabed my bow come to full draw to get a shot off but there was to much brush in the way. he laughed all the way to the bank. Good second day out I must say.

Going out saturday. Figures I am getting sick today, but that wont stop me. Ive had a real nice spike under my stand not sure if I would shoot him.

Future NESer I bet Sir.My wife just saw that pic over my shoulder and she agrees, and also wants one asap lol.

I was foutunate enough to put a boiler in for a resturaunt owner today. He saw my bow case and gear in the truck and offered to let me hunt his prime time property which he no longer does more than once or twice a year these days (young children). I put up my stand at 3:30 looking over a fresly cut corn field with clover on either side. I sat until past shooting time but no action thus far. I did sweat my ass off getting the stand up and clearing brush so hopfully the rain tommorrow washes the scent away.

I have been out twice one morning and one evening hunt. Saw three deer in the feild about 100 yards first evening and missed a 50 yard shot this morning at a nice doe. Lots of action on the trail cameras. Good luck everyone. Happy hunting.

Way to go Ham. Keep up the good work.

Thought it was a miss. Walked up to the arrow no blood, on the ground, arrow had no blood, and white fur. Found some small blood 10 yards out, then a spot a 20, then it really started leaking at 50 yards. Blood everywhere. I slammed it perfect shot. I knew it was a good shot. Turned out the white fur was from the upper part of the front leg on the exit.

Last year I tried shotgun for the first time, never even saw a deer. So I said I'll pick up a bow and try both this year. Well needless to say I'm getting a late start. I bought my first bow yesterday and went out to scout some known good areas while waiting for the bow to be ready. I went in with my pruning saw and jumped 2 does bedding down exactly where I thought they'd be. I've found my morning stand. I have great lanes and plenty of cover.

Picked up the now later after several adjustments at the shop it was ready. Head out to sight it in it was way high and way right. Got the elevation fixed. Turns out the arrow rest was loose. Got the settled in and shot touching arrows at 10/20/30 yards. I'm pretty happy with what I bought. It's definitely an introductory level bow but I like it a lot and it's light.

Went out this morning. Ive been still hunting in fairly thick woods with cleared out runs going through. Ive seen lots of droppings, no rubs, and one animal. I think its time to get me a stand. Its easier for me to work through frustration of not seeing anything when I cant move.

I was up in a stand this morning. Didn't see a thing. Not sure if I'm going out this afternoon or not. Too warm & windy.

Decided to take a break from deer hunting today and go look for squirrels. Only saw a chipmunk, but it sounded like there were some pheasants getting lit up all morning not too far from me.

Sat in the stand till noon, seen nothing....
Grabbed the boys for a late afternoon/evening sit in the blind.
Let them grunt, bleat, and rattle for a while. They had a blast!! Again seen nothing...
C163C907-05B1-4C0F-894C-CD17A6BBC74E-20948-00001E9BA665F714.jpg

Back
Top Bottom