Bow Recommendations

Looking to purchase my first bow in the $400 range. I’ll need a 30” draw and my lack of experience with a bow means I don’t have a feel on what draw weight I’d prefer.

Any local shops or bows You can recommend? Seen some cheaper ones on amazon with good reviews but figure it would be better going to a local place seeing it’ll be my first one and will have 100 questions.

Not sure where you are located, but X-Spot in Attleboro is a great shop. You may also want to consider a used bow. I went used on my first bow and happy I did. Check out archerytalk. I ended up with a better bow with better accessories than if I went new.

As the others have said, the bow needs to be fitted o the person and you need a good shop to do that.

what you are using the bow for will also make a difference in the setup. Target archers like faster flatter arrows and hunters tend to want kinetic energy to kill the animal.

A lesson or two isn’t a bad idea so you get started off right and avoid developing bad habits from the get go.

Bob

I'm in the same boat as you.
I've been doing a bunch of research and window shopping before parting with my hard earned money.
Check out "NUSensei" on YouTube, lots of good basic info.
Good luck and enjoy.

Trader jans in fall river, x spot in attleboro and reedys in middleboro.

Buy locally because when you have questions or problems, theyll be there.

I really like my diamond edge pro 320 FWIW...I think it was $399 at Cabela’s and they set it up good for me for target shooting last fall (wanted a full year of practice behind it before I actually get out in the woods and attempt to harvest an animal).

I wouldn't count out Cabela's or Bass Pro, I've had good experiences at both with archery stuff, they had a guy at the Hartford store that was actually really good, don't know if he's still there. Just try to go armed with enough knowledge that you'll know if the person your dealing with is full of crap or not. It's definitely better to buy from a local shop but if you're on a budget you might be able to get a lot more for your money at one of the big stores. After my first two bows I ended up just buying the tools to do my own setup, it paid off big time in the long run.

Last edited:
THIS And stay away from Bass pro or Cabela's . Knowledge is kind of hit or miss in those places.
100% on this go to a good archery shop a co-worker of mine didn't listen and got a bow at Cabelas the bow was fine but the setup was terrible multiple trips back and bad advice he had to go to a archery shop to get it setup proper.

100% on this go to a good archery shop a co-worker of mine didn't listen and got a bow at Cabelas the bow was fine but the setup was terrible multiple trips back and bad advice he had to go to a archery shop to get it setup proper.
I have the same exact story Lol. I purchased mine at Cabela's in Hudson. After two trips which is not a short ride for me. I made an appointment in kittery they spent probably close to an hour and a half with me. I left there and it was set up perfectly.

Reedy's is usually a great place to go because they will spend time with you and set you up in their indoor range. They also carry the low end Matthews line (can't remember the name it is branded under). They are very good bows and you can get set up in your price range. As for draw length. Most modern bows have adjustable draw lengths. Not only that, but most of them can be done without using a press. So you can screw around at home and figure out what suits you best. 99% of shooters over estimate their draw length.

A decent shop will get you set up good enough. But to really do it right you have to find a buddy that knows what to do or learn it yourself. Getting broadheads to shoot the same as your field points takes time and patience. That is one of the reasons so many folks hunt with expandables; it will still shoot good with a bad tune. Fixed blade, forget about it. Thank god for online vids. With a bit of time and patience you can figure it out, and it is a lot of fun. I use a portable cable bow press and my bicycle stand to work on my bow. Paper tune, walk back tune, then fine tune in the end. My fixed blades are dead on with the field points. But that is probably way too much information. Buy the bow, go have fun.

I have the same exact story Lol. I purchased mine at Cabela's in Hudson. After two trips which is not a short ride for me. I made an appointment in kittery they spent probably close to an hour and a half with me. I left there and it was set up perfectly.

And whatever you do, STAY AWAY from Dicks. Even when they weren't known for their anti-gun bullshit they knew nothing about bows and bow setups. I can't tell you how many times I told their customers the sales person was wrong right in front of them. There used to be a guy in Smithfield RI who knew his shit and they'd call him when I said something and he'd tell them they were wrong every time.

I know the owner of X-Spot and his wife. They know what they are doing. Your location would be helpful since there are not many real archery shops around.

I just sighted in my aforementioned diamond edge 320 with fixed blade broad heads a few hours ago. Hitting a 4” circle pretty consistently at 20yds and will do some elevation testing before I actually get out in the woods this weekend (Indiana). REALLY looking forward to hunting season this year because I missed last season trying to flee MA...time well spent, I think.

Reedy's is usually a great place to go because they will spend time with you and set you up in their indoor range. They also carry the low end Matthews line (can't remember the name it is branded under). They are very good bows and you can get set up in your price range. As for draw length. Most modern bows have adjustable draw lengths. Not only that, but most of them can be done without using a press. So you can screw around at home and figure out what suits you best. 99% of shooters over estimate their draw length.

A decent shop will get you set up good enough. But to really do it right you have to find a buddy that knows what to do or learn it yourself. Getting broadheads to shoot the same as your field points takes time and patience. That is one of the reasons so many folks hunt with expandables; it will still shoot good with a bad tune. Fixed blade, forget about it. Thank god for online vids. With a bit of time and patience you can figure it out, and it is a lot of fun. I use a portable cable bow press and my bicycle stand to work on my bow. Paper tune, walk back tune, then fine tune in the end. My fixed blades are dead on with the field points. But that is probably way too much information. Buy the bow, go have fun.
Mission

If your anywhere in Central MA or North of it I'd recommend Pelletiers in Jaffrey,NH. They carry the big three makers of bows. They will
have no problem working with you getting the right bow. They will let you shoot anything and decide.
They are great at setting up and tuning. They are tax free. Very decent guys with no attitude.

My recommendation is that you do get something with an adjustable cam so if you have to sell it, it fits everyone, or at least a few draw lengths.

Mathews and some others you have to buy cams, or modules for, pay to have them installed, and a lot of times after your bow gets old they discontinue making them.
Now your stuck with a one draw length bow.

There are so many good ones.

That said, MANY of them I'll never even consider buying. I do all my own work.. Changing strings, cutting and fletching arrows, tuning, etc... I haven't walked into a pro shop in like 7 years. MANY bow manufacturers will only sell parts through their network of dealers and pro shops which I hate. Mathews leads the pack here. That goes up my ass sideways.

My next bow is going to be from a company that offers direct to consumer options. If I can't call you up and order a set of strings, or get a replacement bushing, bearing, etc, and you're going to force to go to a pro shop and pay full rape prices for half-assed work, then I'll just buy another manufacturer. Like my first statement said, there are a LOT of good options on the market these days.

The string stops on my Bear Arena 30 are shot out and need to be replaced. You think something so simple as that I should be able to just buy online, or call and order, right.... Nope.... F_ck that noise... Never again.

So that's that....

Something else I don't care for from some manufacturers (again Mathews leads here)... Lack of adjustability... If you want to change the draw length on your bow, some have adjustable modules you can move around at home with simple tools. Other manufacturers - like Mathews - require that you buy new cams (from their dealer network) and have a pro shop change them for you (full rape pricing and no real tuning is done post work). Again - I'm all set with crap like that. Too bad if you buy those cams, pay to have them installed, then decide you want to add/remove a half-inch on the draw.... Rinse and repeat Mother Farker... Pay me - so say the dealers... There are just too many options on the market to be boxed in like that.

Also tunability. Mathews is crap on this front too for the average user. SAy you want to yoke tune to correct a horizontal tear. On a normal bow you just add/remove twists from the yoke cables... Not on a Mathews... Nope.... You need to buy special spacers to move the cams left/right on the axles. This requires that you press and then disassemble the bow to make every minor adjustment.... a wicked time consuming and PITA process.... Oh - and you guessed it, those spacers - only available through the dealer network... They basically lock you out of tuning your own bow...

I'll never own a Mathews, or their Mission line, or any other manufacturer that operates like that.... Not again. I'm picking on them, just because they're so prevalent, but truth is that lots of manufacturers operate like this. It's a kickback to their dealers.

Last edited:
Another recommendation forJerry’s bait and tackle in Milford. Friendly low pressure shop. He set me up with a PSE bow 4 years ago and I like it.

anyone with bow stabilizers recommendations? I'm really lost and confused already, so I would be really grateful, if you helped me. I'd really love to make my father a gift for his birthday, I was thinking of getting one of the bow stabilizers for his bow from https://hibipod.com/best-bow-stabilizer-reviews/, he has been in love with hunting for the whole life, he even did archery lessons when he was a kid, I'm not an expert though, the passion for bow shooting wasn't transmitted by blood power, genes, you know. However, I'm not an expert and I'm really willing to make an impressive gift to my dad, I would be really grateful, if you could help me!

Last edited:
anyone with bow stabilizers recommendations? I'm really lost and confused already, so I would be really grateful, if you helped me
That right there is a can of worms. You can just buy one to help kill vibration or buy one (or two if you go for a rear stabilizer as well like I do) that will be used to stabilize the bow. I currently use Bee Stingers, 15 inch up front with two ounces and a six inch in back with four ounces. I had twice the weight front and rear for incredible stability but figured it was not worth lugging around in the woods. The current setup works really well. It is very subjective.

Yup bees ringer is good^ I have a 10 inch and run a back bar on some bows if I can’t get it to balance, usually the 10 works

If your anywhere in Central MA or North of it I'd recommend Pelletiers in Jaffrey,NH. They carry the big three makers of bows. They will
have no problem working with you getting the right bow. They will let you shoot anything and decide.
They are great at setting up and tuning. They are tax free. Very decent guys with no attitude.

My recommendation is that you do get something with an adjustable cam so if you have to sell it, it fits everyone, or at least a few draw lengths.

Mathews and some others you have to buy cams, or modules for, pay to have them installed, and a lot of times after your bow gets old they discontinue making them.
Now your stuck with a one draw length bow.
Although I went with a takedown recurve instead of a compound, I second Pelletiers. Both the guys back in the bow section worked with me on draw length, weight, and arrow recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom