Bow question

EMTDAD

NES Member
If we had an archery forum, this would go there.

this might be a stupid question... bear with me.. I'm no archery expert..

bought my right handed son a bow for Christmas... ordered a Diamond Infinite Edge RH compound bow. Package from Diamond Archery came and said RH on the label.. Take it out on Christmas morning, and it appears to be left handed. Compared it to my bow that is left handed, and sure enough, they appear similar. So, plan is to return it, and we already re-ordered a RH bow.

Is there any chance that RH means the hand you hold the bow in? That is, Left handed shooters hold the bow in their right hand, and draw back with their left. This seems to contradict every other LH/RH nomenclature that I'm aware of. I'll be pissed if the 2nd bow comes and it's the same.

Attachments

• 20201228_105013.jpg
    20201228_105013.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201228_104937.jpg
    20201228_104937.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 20
Right hand bow:
Hold bow with left hand
Draw string with right hand

Left hand bow:
Hold bow with right hand
Draw with left hand

does he perhaps need a left hand bow?

ok.,. I'm getting really confused..

The bow's a left handed if the arrow rest is on the right hand side. If the arrow rest is on the left handside, then it's a right handed.
Right hand bow:
Hold bow with left hand
Draw string with right hand

Left hand bow:
Hold bow with right hand
Draw with left hand

does he perhaps need a left hand bow?

I'm LH.. left eye dominant, hold bow with right hand, draw back with left... @Woodsy are you saying I should buy a RH bow? @bauer says I should buy a LH bow?

son holds bow in LH, and draws back with RH. So RH bow?

#1 reason to buy a bow from an archery shop and not off the internet
Plus they fit it and you get the right feel. Nothing worse than a bow that has a bad let off or wrong draw for you especially when your 30ft up in a tree over your prized buck.

used my points at Bass Pro.. so basically got it free... but they had nothing in stock at the store, so we ordered it off their website and had it shipped to home. Was planning on going in with him this week to get it set up for him.

ok.,. I'm getting really confused..

I'm LH.. left eye dominant, hold bow with right hand, draw back with left... @Woodsy are you saying I should buy a RH bow? @bauer says I should buy a LH bow?

son holds bow in LH, and draws back with RH. So RH bow?

used my points at Bass Pro.. so basically got it free... but they had nothing in stock at the store, so we ordered it off their website and had it shipped to home. Was planning on going in with him this week to get it set up for him.

The guy at the store should have known and that’s a pain you have to reorder. When you do get it it may be worth getting it set up but someone with archery knowledge. My first bow I bought from a friend and hated it despite it being a great bow. Reason was it was the incorrect draw length and other setup tweaks that I had addressed after being to an archery place which was two seasons later after almost giving up. Beat of luck, to this day archery is my favorite and having a large plot of land I get to do it for months.

Looks like a lefty. Holding with the right and drawing with the left. No stupid questions! I am brand new to this forum and seeking learning myself. New to hunting and firearms. Good Luck!

The guy at the store should have known and that’s a pain you have to reorder. When you do get it it may be worth getting it set up but someone with archery knowledge. My first bow I bought from a friend and hated it despite it being a great bow. Reason was it was the incorrect draw length and other setup tweaks that I had addressed after being to an archery place which was two seasons later after almost giving up. Beat of luck, to this day archery is my favorite and having a large plot of land I get to do it for months.

not their (BPS) fault... wife and I ordered from home. Kid's right eye dominant and right handed (hold in left, draw with right).. so I order RH bow.. seemed simple enough.. Bow comes in and holding in left hand, it's awkward.

funny how even here, this doesn't seem to be a cut and dry answer..

not their (BPS) fault... wife and I ordered from home. Kid's right eye dominant and right handed (hold in left, draw with right).. so I order RH bow.. seemed simple enough.. Bow comes in and holding in left hand, it's awkward.

funny how even here, this doesn't seem to be a cut and dry answer..

See how comfortable it is to nock an arrow while holding the bow with your right hand?

That's a RH bow as others have said, I have both a RH and LH as I'm switching to lefty. For that bow, he should hold it in his left hand, draw back with his right and look through the peep at the sights.

Post a picture of the other bow you're talking about, curious how that is setup...

thanks.. I think I got it figured out.. bow is RH.. I grabbed another bow that I had in the garage.. which was also RH.. and I thought it was LH.. just dug mine (LH) out from deep in the garage and it is set up opposite..

don't I feel like an idiot now.. :rolleyes:💩

thanks.. I think I got it figured out.. bow is RH.. I grabbed another bow that I had in the garage.. which was also RH.. and I thought it was LH.. just dug mine (LH) out from deep in the garage and it is set up opposite..

don't I feel like an idiot now.. :rolleyes:💩
No, just had a brain freeze, I get them more frequently these days.

It might feel less awkward if when you draw, aim, and fire the bow you don't squeeze the grip. Your left hand should be open, not grabbing the grip.

Last edited:
I started reading this like 'what is this guy talking about he's crazy'. then I scrolled down and saw your photos. nothing to do with port starboard or stern here either. maybe I'm the one who's crazy

I started as a kid with a recurve bow and we used our fingers back then (no fancy releases) and the arrow rested on the side you hold the bow with so when the string slips off the finger, it is kept on the rest against the bow. Otherwise, it would fall off. You're not too far from Reedys in Middleboro. They know their stuff. The measure length of pull, set the bow up individually, and pick the correct arrow material, length, and stiffness. They have an indoor range and you leave shooting decent groups... But you pay a lot $$

I agree with Pop Chow. That is a right-handed bow. Whatever side the cable guard is on.. That's how you always know.
The site also bolts on from the right hand side, and the rest bolts on from the right hand side. There is no doubt that is a right-handed bow. got what you ordered. If you order another one you're going to get the same thing.
You hold it with your left hand and draw with your right. The cable guard pulls the cables away from your arm... AKA you hold the bow with your left and the cable guard pulls the bus and control cables to the right.
There is yet more evidence. look at the arrow rest... it's designed to have the arrow inserted from the laft side with your right hand, with the expectation that you're holding the bow with your left hand.
I have to question the archery intellect of the people on here who actually think that's a left-handed bow...... May want to thank twice about taking any additional advice they offer.

If your son is right-handed and right-eye dominant then he wants a right-handed bow which is exactly what you have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom