Bow hunting and ltc

So if I'm out with my AR-15 come coyote season (starts day after Colombus Day), I can carry my M&P too.

That likely co-incides with archery deer season. So it's OK for me to have mine, but an archer can't. Yup. makes lots of sense.

Well i was doing some reading. I may also have not read it correctly last year either.

(•Possession of rifles, handguns, or dogs in any woodland or field, or use of same on any game, is prohibited during the shotgun deer season except that the use of dogs is lawful for hunting waterfowl on coastal waters.)

It seems like its only for shotgun season that archers cant posses a handgun. Im probably wrong. But I did not see anything in the abstracts about it.

From post #2 it also states only during shotgun season.

It sounds pretty retarded. I can't think of a single reason why a hunter with an ltc couldn't have a gun -even in shotgun deer season. If you're in your stand and you're surrounded by squirrels, maybe you could opt to fill the pot with some of them using your .22 pistol/rifle. Heck, maybe you went up in the stand to shoot at whatever legally was in season, I know I would. Maybe a coyote appears out of bow range but you reach for your .223 and give him a dirt nap. Maybe an angry bear starts climbing up and you save yourself with a trusty .44 mag. Or perhaps some anti hunter psycho starts attacking you and you have a firearm to shoot back.

The law makes zero sense. I don't want to hear that it's "not sportsman like," if an environmental officer comes over and finds you with a deer with a bullet hole, powder burn, and shell casing, then you broke the law. Only then, in that situation that would never happen during bow season, would you be guilty of a crime.

Hunting to me is a bloodsport with one goal, putting meat on the table. Sometimes, perhaps generally, you go out there looking for a challenge .But if you're starving or haven't had a good shot opportunity in a while, you like an easy set up.

Obviously hunting in a small penned enclosure would be unbecoming.

The law makes zero sense.
Yup. Once you learn that logic and common sense have absolutely no connection with laws, understanding them becomes a lot easier. We are "represented" by self-serving corrupt morons who's only goals in life are to keep their office so they can accumulate power and wealth at the expense of our freedoms and prosperity.

The EPO at the Hunter Ed course I took said that as the regs are written, he could park outside a gun shop, and cite anyone that came out of the store with slugs or buckshot in their hand, outside of deer season. Because mammals may be found there.
[rolleyes]
He siad this to point out that there are a LOT of stuff in the MGLs and Hunting regs that make no sense, or are different from each other. And that YOU are responsible for not screwing up.

This just in. If your bowhunting and walk in the dark in the woods in bear or coyote country without a night sighted handgun. Your up for a darwin award. You can read the law to the bear or coyote but they are unlikely to have sympathy.

Part of the reason that a hunting license has a minimum age, is because a certain level of maturity is required.

You may be worried about encountering a bear or coyote; others a humorless EPO.

Which way the law is read, is up to you.

Note: The above is not an endorsement of the current FUBAR situation, merely an observation.

In 20 years of bowhunting ive never seen an epo. That said im on private land with exclusive written permission with landowners that likely wouldnt be too happy about an epo messing up my hunt. Most of the time ab epo is called for a something majorly stupid like shooting too close to a house.

I would not do the same thing on a wma. Nor would i waste my hunting time on a wma.
Its very silly to waste a bunch of time scouting and have others that arent on the same page interrupt. Which is why i ask for excusivity to
Hunt. I dont want to be blamed for some dumbass actions of an idiot thats not in my party.

Last edited:
So if I'm out with my AR-15 come coyote season (starts day after Colombus Day), I can carry my M&P too.

That likely co-incides with archery deer season. So it's OK for me to have mine, but an archer can't. Yup. makes lots of sense.
You might want to check on that. Last I knew you were restricted to whatever single gun was legal for your quarry - shotgun for birds, etc., and one gun for coyote - rifle or handgun, and calibers restricted after dark.

Back
Top Bottom