• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bow / Arrow for a Beginner

I have been anxious to introduce my sons to firearms, but have been waiting for them to be old enough. My oldest, 5 years old, has expressed an interest in learning how to use a bow and arrow. I thought this would be a good place to start. Any advice to what to buy, bow and arrow advice. I have no experience what so ever.

Not sure were you are located but in in southeastern Ma go to Reeedys archery in Middleboro, they will fit the bow to your son, and spend all day with him if needed and have him shoot on target by the time you leave. I suggest Mathews starter bow. It has adjustable draw length and weight son he can grow into the bow they are around 150.00. spend money on bow and rest and sight. They wil some time have package deal too. for about 250.00 or so .It might seen a little steep at first, but is a far better bow that what you will get at bass pro, or cabelas.

They make a lot of good bows that are adjustable these days. If he's only 5 I'd suggest something very inexpensive to start out with.....a fiberglass bear recurve will get him going.....make sure he has a glove for his fingers and an arm guard....let me know I have a few kids gloves kicking around if you want one.

Genesis bows are OK, but they have no letoff, there are better kids bows out there now.....

If you want to take the plunge and spend some money, right now...he's probably not even at 18 inch draw length....so even the following kids bows might be too big.....

Diamond Edge goes from 18-28" draw length but weight is only in ten pound increments. (ie you'll need to change out the limbs as he grows)

I think the Mission Maniac (low grade Mathews) is another very adjustable bow, I think even the draw weight very adjustable (something not seen in most kids bows of past) This is definately one to look at.

Wal mart sells carbon arrows for 30# bows this will be fine for him.

Since you have little experience in archery you should probably see a pro shop.......make sure you get something that can grow with him. To fit him properly they will measure his Draw length, and get an idea what poundage he can pull. Average 5 year old probably has a 16" DL and can pull 20 pounds.....

Last edited:
The Edge and the Maniac are both to big for a five year old. Brians Archery in Barrington is a nice big shop and should be able to help you out.

Tepee Archery
Tepee Archery & Supply
920 Main Street, Acton, MA 01720-5813
(978) 635-0550 () ‎
tepeearchery.com

I don't know anything about them except that they've been there for years.
Might be a more convenient spot for you.

Come see me in Milford NH, I have a beginner bow, it is old but it works, you can add a sight it is a compound get some arrows from Wal-Mart and as he gets better get the bow he likes

I would also suggest the diamond youth bow. They are made very well. I have a friend who has one for his son and it isn't a cheapy. The Genesis is kind of cheap in material and quality. You really need to find a local archery shop to set the bow up for your son. The draw length is very important to proper shooting and they will need to set the draw weight to what he can pull back easily. Plus since you don't sound like you know about archery they can teach you and your son the proper way to shoot. It's not difficult, but when I teach people they do almost everything wrong and think they are doing it right.
If you are not looking for a compound bow get a good fiberglass recurve. Not one of the cheaper plastic bows.

Back
Top Bottom