Bounty for shooting down drones!

"Don't drone me, bro!"
Deer Trail, Colo, might pay bounty hunters to shoot down government drones

As an engineer, this would be an awesome project to work on. A 50 cal rifle mounted turret, along with radar and scanning devices that can shoot down a drone.

But apparently it's just one of those laws for for the sake of laws, cause you can only use a 12g shotgun or lower. Perhaps a specialized shotgun shell that shoots a mini missile. I've seen wireless tasers shot out of a shotgun shell before.
TASER XREP (extended range electronic projectile) - YouTube

How about getting your own RC aircraft and ram it right into the drone's propeller. Now that would be fun.

Good Lord.

Having driven through Deer Trail a dozen times, I can tell you that not even the thrill of shooting down Big Brother would make me want to stay there longer than it would take to get gas. It's not in the "pretty" or "wonderful" part of Colorado.

Still, I like this trend.

Dudes.... the drones may fire back ya know, and they might not have a 12 ga restriction LOL

Don't they carry a single hellfire missile? I only have to avoid one firing from them, then I can go to town with everything I have.

As a hobby "drone" pilot (we call it FPV flying) we have meets where we shoot at RC planes with airsoft/paintball guns...last plane in the air wins! It is pretty hard, the planes (usually everyone "junker models"), even though only going 20-30MPH, seem very fast and very small at only the 50-100' we fly them...Now my real FPV plane travels at 60-100MPH and usually is above 1000', cruise at 5000'....at that height it's just a speck in the sky! Seems akin to trying to hit a raisin thrown at full speed by a friend, about 20' above you, with a .22. I guess if you were Tom Knapp you could do it (referencing his throwing asprin tablets and hitting them with a .22...will never forget that!).....Now the .gov drones will be flying probably not below 5000', and probably 100 MPH minimum.

Not trying to kill the joke, just adding some info and saying it would be pretty hard with any type of gun short of a real AA gun.

Yup, we're gonna need flak guns. Or just find where they take off from. [smile]
That's not how it works. When confronte by a superior force, take out the head, not the legs (or wings, in this case). No need to take out the drones. Take out the mechanics and the guys who fly the friggin things. No head, no danger. The drone by itself is just a piece of equipment.

Sniper 101

As a hobby "drone" pilot (we call it FPV flying) we have meets where we shoot at RC planes with airsoft/paintball guns...last plane in the air wins! It is pretty hard, the planes (usually everyone "junker models"), even though only going 20-30MPH, seem very fast and very small at only the 50-100' we fly them...Now my real FPV plane travels at 60-100MPH and usually is above 1000', cruise at 5000'....at that height it's just a speck in the sky! Seems akin to trying to hit a raisin thrown at full speed by a friend, about 20' above you, with a .22. I guess if you were Tom Knapp you could do it (referencing his throwing asprin tablets and hitting them with a .22...will never forget that!).....Now the .gov drones will be flying probably not below 5000', and probably 100 MPH minimum.

Not trying to kill the joke, just adding some info and saying it would be pretty hard with any type of gun short of a real AA gun.

it's probably too hard for a human pilot, but not hard for a circuit which are cheap. A drone homing "plane" with some rocket booster could be just the ticket. Sensors and electronics are pretty damn cheap for an 80% kit [rofl]

it's only a matter of time before a few of these ****ers are brought down.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8785
25.00$ autopilot system for uav
50$ for sensors and wire.

Plus cost of RC plane.

Getting closer :)

The autopilot I use is around $300 and has three programmable waypoints that it will point me to once in the air (won't fly to them autonomously for obvious reasons I suppose) although it does have a return to home feature where if I lose video or RC link it will automatically fly back to where I launched it.

On the topic we are all JOKING about (I hope), I can't see it being too hard for a few of us civilian electrical/avionic engineers to build a crude "drone tracking system". I have some security cameras at home that are pan/tilt and they came with software that can track an object. Once it comes into view, the camera will follow it until it leaves the field of view.....I can't see it being too hard to send the pan/tilt commands from that software to the autopilots control inputs, and bam, drone tracking plane :)

Back
Top Bottom