• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought my first plastic pistol. A PM9.

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
Got a good deal on a like new PM9 tonight. I saw the ad in the forum classifieds at 5:30 and I was back from Fairhaven with gun in hand by 7:30. The ad was only posted at 4:59. I think this is some kind of a record on the forum!!!![smile][wink]

These guns are hard to come by in Mass. I've been keeping my eye out for one for awhile. I just happened to have some money handy since I sold my camper last week.

I have a question for anyone who knows anything about these Kahr pistols.

On the Kahr site, the PM9 has a few model numbers, for night sights and such. Mine has nite sights, and the model number is PM9093NA.

Does anyone know what the "A" in that number stands for? I don't see it listed on their web site.[thinking]

I love the gun. Can't wait to fire it tomorrow.

And for all you guys that think us old dinosaurs can't learn new tricks.... I fooled ya!

OK, OK, I get it..... PICS!!!!!

Well for anyone who is interested, Massachusetts has approved a Massachusetts version of the PM9, which will have a locking safety, a loaded chamber indicator and a hidden second serial number. It won't be exactly like this PM9 I got tonight, but it should be a decent gun. Can't tell you what the trigger will be like, but this one I bought has a nice long smooth clean trigger break.

So here's a quick pic of what I got.

KahrPM9.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase!

OK, OK, I get it..... PICS!!!!!

Well for anyone who is interested, Massachusetts has approved a Massachusetts version of the PM9

ooh that is good news! i have wanted a Kahr, but never have the money when one pops up for sale [thinking]

Depicts, here's the MA version you pointed out in the new acquisition thread. I'm surprised they didn't just drill a ma**h*** in the barrel.

mdtl_pm9193.jpg

Congrats on the purchase.

Depicts, here's the MA version you pointed out in the new acquisition thread. I'm surprised they didn't just drill a ma**h*** in the barrel.
Congrats on the purchase.

Thanks for the heads up Paul!!! I have always wanted a Khar.. Heard anything about timing??

I know its not the store $$$ but $924 msrp for poly frame--- shit.

I'll guess it'll sell in the $700 range. Yes, it's expensive but they're one of the better made polymer framed guns I've seen. They're also fairly innovative in some of the things they did to get a 9mm that small.

That probably doesn't justify the price but it is what it is. If you want a 9mm that you can pocket carry, there aren't many other options.

When I bought mine, I tried to ignore the price. I wanted the gun for all it's good features, and I figure you get what you pay for. If I hadn't spent the money on this, I'd have wasted it a little at a time on stupid things like bills and food.

The police officer who sold me mine was pretty fair. He charged me $650 with night sights, an extra magazine and a Nemasis pocket holster and 200 rounds of ammo. I had trouble finding one on Gunbroker or Auction Arms for that price, so I think I did pretty well.

Last edited:
When I bought mine, I tried to ignore the price. I wanted the gun for all it's good features, and I figure you get what you pay for. If I hadn't spent the money on this, I'd have wasted it a little at a time on stupid things like bills and food.

The police officer who sold me mine was pretty fair. He charged me $650 with night sights, an extra magazine and a Nemasis pocket holster and 200 rounds of ammo. I had trouble finding one on Gunbroker or Auction Arms for that price, so I think I did pretty well.

I think you got a very fair deal. I don't want to say what I paid but it was quite a bit more. Mine has the black slide which is part of it but I still overpaid some. As you said though, I wanted it for the features and I was lucky to find it in MA.

Definitely sounds like a good deal. I've seen some in various shops for north of $700, with 1 mag and nothing else.

I'll guess it'll sell in the $700 range. Yes, it's expensive but they're one of the better made polymer framed guns I've seen. They're also fairly innovative in some of the things they did to get a 9mm that small.

That probably doesn't justify the price but it is what it is. If you want a 9mm that you can pocket carry, there aren't many other options.

+1.... the PM9 and MK9 are literally the only guns of their kind.

It's also about the smallest auto I'd ever fully trust reliability wise.

-Mike

I see that Kahr is about ready to release a new .380 version of the same gun, but even smaller that weighs only 10 oz.

I wish the safety on the Mass-hole version worked the opposite way. Sigh.

Depends on how much resistance it takes to flip it on and off. If it doesn't
move easily you can just leave it in "fire" and forget about it.

A bigger issue for me is the retarded LCI and the writing on top of the
slide. Fugly- and it reminds me too much of living in MA. [laugh]

-Mike

Depends on how much resistance it takes to flip it on and off. If it doesn't move easily you can just leave it in "fire" and forget about it.
I've got 1911 on the brain -- my thumb is trained to swipe down when presenting a handgun. I don't want to risk doing that with a gun that works the other way.

Congrats on the new purchase. I really like the PM9 and will own one sometime. Before i bought the LCP, I was looking for a PM9 but i couldn't find one for under $950 in a condition that I liked.

I did email someone at Kahr while I was searching to buy one in the spring time (March/April) and they said they were getting a PM9 approved in MA. I didn't necessarily believe it at first and I didn't hear anything about it till today.

If the price is somewhat reasonable I think I will still pick one up. Even if the trigger sucks, im sure people will fix that very easily as they have with the M&P and PPS.

As for the writing on the slide and indicator, since it is a stainless slide, a little 2000 grit sand paper and polish and the wording will disappear :)

Last edited:
Nice gun!

Any news as to whether they're going to get any of the steel-framed guns approved?

I love my K9, and I'd gladly put up with the safety and the LCI in order to get ahold of a new K9 or K40. (Or a .45, if they made one in a steel frame.)

I know, I know...Polymer works just fine, but I like my guns metal, dammit.

2 things:
a) I really hate the web filter at work, because I had to wait all day to see the image Paul D posted of the MA compliant PM 9. It was just a blank space as I viewed it from work.

b) With the external safety, the MA compliant model would require "a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun." Does this mean it might not need to have a trigger from hell?

2 things:
a) I really hate the web filter at work, because I had to wait all day to see the image Paul D posted of the MA compliant PM 9. It was just a blank space as I viewed it from work.

b) With the external safety, the MA compliant model would require "a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun." Does this mean it might not need to have a trigger from hell?

If you want, send me a PM with your email and I'll attach the pic.

On (b), it would see logical that you're correct but logic has little to do with it. You knew that though. The precedent I'm worried about is the M&P45 with the thumb safety. That was the same set of operations but the AG whined about it anyway.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm on my personal computer now, so no evil commie web filter for me. And yeah, I know logic has zip to do with it. It was more wishful thinking than an actual question. (sigh)

Well I can't give a real thorough range report. I only had time to stop at the range for about 15 minutes and shoot 3 mags of Federal and two mags of +P+ Winchester that came with the gun.

The gun shoots and works great. I did notice that I have to train my hands to hold the gun a little differently, because the way it recoils makes my trigger finger hit my weak hand thumb when I hold the gun. (Because the gun is so small around the grip). I tried several positions, and it's not a big problem. When I have time to shoot a few hundred rounds I'll work it out.

I set up at 10 yards, and really rushed most of my shots, trying double taps, rapid fire, and maybe one magazine of concentrated target shots.

I really fell in love with this little gun today. I'm not sure it's going to replace my S&W Centennials, because it doesn't come out of the pocket as easily as they do. I'm going to get rid of the Nemesis holster, and get a Mika, and see if that makes a difference. The Nemesis just seemed too wide to allow the gun to clear the top of my pocket

The gun shoots great though, as the target below shows. I highly recommend this little pistol.

Edited to mention that these are the best sights I've seen on a small pocket gun, and they glow in the dark.... great!!!!

RangeReportPM9.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on how much resistance it takes to flip it on and off. If it doesn't
move easily you can just leave it in "fire" and forget about it.

A bigger issue for me is the retarded LCI and the writing on top of the
slide. Fugly- and it reminds me too much of living in MA. [laugh]

-Mike

Is that writing actually ON THERE? Or is it just a peel off sticker to show you? If it is etched in there, is there any law preventing that from being buffed out?

Is that writing actually ON THERE? Or is it just a peel off sticker to show you? If it is etched in there, is there any law preventing that from being buffed out?

I'm guessing it's etched and I'm pretty sure there's not law about changing the finish as long as you don't screw with the serial numbers.

It's probably laser etching.

No law I know of. You can touch/remove anything on the gun but the serial
number.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom