• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought my first handgun!

Hey guys, I'm happy to report that after much debate and waiting, I finally made up my mind on which starter gun to get. And when I say "bought", I really mean that it was a birthday gift, from my special someone. I got a Ruger SR22 from Pete's gun shop in Adams (I'm also gonna post on his shops thread about the great customer service) I have spent the last couple hours with the help of youtube getting proficient at taking it apart and learning what all the parts do. I can't wait until my membership goes through at my local range, so I can give it a proper break in.

ruryguna.jpg

7yna4y5u.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Nice! I'm sure that'll be fun, and cheap to shoot. What's next? haha
I got a Ruger for my first, great guns.

I've borrowed my brothers, not my cup of tea but its a nice gun.
Stay away from Winchester 555 bulk packs. Besides of finding a hand full of defective bullets(weird copper burrs). I had failure to feed problems. Just had to rack the slide. It almost sounded like some where under powered.

My brother says it eats federal bulk packs. I shot a whole box of them with him . Only problem we had with those was a few duds.

I just bought one today from Northshore Firearms for my wife. Christmas gift so Ill have to wait awhile before we get to test it out.

Good first buy! I had issues with mine at first but I sent it back to Ruger and they made it right. I've tried all sorts of bulk ammo and it fires everything i've fed it.

nice, i was torn between this and the p22.. ultimately went with walther, shot both, fun as hell and cheap, spend hours at the range for pennies- good luck!!

Congrats! I too had a less than stellar experience with Winchester 555, but nothing too severe. Makes a good failure practice, priceless, if you ask me... maybe one FTF every few mags, nothing to be upset about...

I broke mine in using CCI mini-mags and now I am getting Winchester and Federal bulk at Walmart... it does eat more or less anything.

I didn't have to adjust the sights either, it was spot on right out of the box.

One piece of advice though - dont buy those .22 cleaning patches, I found them to be too small and useless - an old toothbrush, .22 boresnake (awesome), an old rag and qtips.

Cleaning it is not very easy since it is rather small and the barrel is attached... I don't recommend spraying CLP down anything other than the barrel, I usually put some on a toothbrush and qtips directly, that way the oil does not get into all the nooks where it just stays.

Oh, and I found that compressed air in a can is invaluable to blow the debris and extra oil out of the assemblies! I made a mistake once and sprayed a little too much CLP on to the slide, I still get black goo coming out onto the barrel.

Pete's is a pretty good little shop. Not usually the best deals around but good people. I've bought a couple of guns from them before with no complaints. I'm not too sure how local you are to Adams but I belong to a club about 25 min to the East of Pete's. The next couple of weeks are going to be a bit hectic but if my schedule allows I could host as well.

Congrats! I too had a less than stellar experience with Winchester 555, but nothing too severe. Makes a good failure practice, priceless, if you ask me... maybe one FTF every few mags, nothing to be upset about...

I broke mine in using CCI mini-mags and now I am getting Winchester and Federal bulk at Walmart... it does eat more or less anything.

I didn't have to adjust the sights either, it was spot on right out of the box.

One piece of advice though - dont buy those .22 cleaning patches, I found them to be too small and useless - an old toothbrush, .22 boresnake (awesome), an old rag and qtips.

Cleaning it is not very easy since it is rather small and the barrel is attached... I don't recommend spraying CLP down anything other than the barrel, I usually put some on a toothbrush and qtips directly, that way the oil does not get into all the nooks where it just stays.

Oh, and I found that compressed air in a can is invaluable to blow the debris and extra oil out of the assemblies! I made a mistake once and sprayed a little too much CLP on to the slide, I still get black goo coming out onto the barrel.

Thanks for the tips, I picked up a pack of CCI mini mags when I bought it. They were cheap enough so that's what I'll probably stick with for a while, maybe mix in a few mags of Federal ammo and see how it likes that. I also picked up a cleaning kit that included a Boresnake with it.

Pete's is a pretty good little shop. Not usually the best deals around but good people. I've bought a couple of guns from them before with no complaints. I'm not too sure how local you are to Adams but I belong to a club about 25 min to the East of Pete's. The next couple of weeks are going to be a bit hectic but if my schedule allows I could host as well.

I did pay a little more than what Dave's would have charged me, but I didn't mind, they were some great guys there, plus the three labs they had were pretty cute. What club do you belong to? I am joining the club in Lenox, which is about a quarter mile from my house.

I did pay a little more than what Dave's would have charged me, but I didn't mind, they were some great guys there, plus the three labs they had were pretty cute. What club do you belong to? I am joining the club in Lenox, which is about a quarter mile from my house.

Ashfield Rod and Gun Club. Only a 100 yard range but only 5 min from my house so you can't beet that. Small club of about 200 people, mostly fudds. I'm usually the only one at the range and the rare chance that I do have to share the range they don't seem to mind my evil looking Black Rifles.

My wife has this gun. It has ate up any type of ammo we have thrown at it. It's pretty reliable! About 2000 rounds through it already.

Back
Top Bottom