Bought house w antenna

Hi all - Any help is appreciated. This antenna came with this house, and is in what would be the 3rd floor of an old barn - currently garage

short clip showing the antenna:
View: https://imgur.com/a/3bunH30

Questions:

1. Does it look useable?
2. Am I cable to run a coax or something to this and connect it to a radio?
3. How does the power of my radio come into play when looking to take advantage of a larger antenna? I currently have two radios and I was hoping to extend my coverage a bit to reach some family with my Radioddity GD-77 - in case of emergency.

might be a VHF antenna (2m). I should know more about this than I do, but if you had an SWR meter and antenna matcher, you might be able to see what kind of impedance match you get at 2m?

The elements of that beam on the top should be roughly 1/2 wave long (or is it 1/4?) at the resonant frequency, so if you
measure the middle one you could guess at its center frequency. Must use Google!

Can you contact the former owner and ask what it was used for? Might just be TV. Are the connections twin lead, coax or ladder line? Jack.
the former owner has been hit and miss, more miss when i've reached out. we've had it over a year actually just getting around to looking into this.

I got close enough to it a while back to see the writing on the band but am forgetting what it said, something like: Royal Strand something. Here is a zoomed in picture i got:
View: https://imgur.com/a/vnNuQqn

I'll try and remember. I can't tell if it's ladder line or twin lead, they both kind of look the same to me. It did feel thicker when I was close up to it if that matters.

Calling Tokyo, Calling Tokyo.

John has a long Mustache.

Someone who knows antennas will likely recognize it.

the former owner has been hit and miss, more miss when i've reached out. we've had it over a year actually just getting around to looking into this.

I got close enough to it a while back to see the writing on the band but am forgetting what it said, something like: Royal Strand something. Here is a zoomed in picture i got:
View: https://imgur.com/a/vnNuQqn

I'll try and remember. I can't tell if it's ladder line or twin lead, they both kind of look the same to me. It did feel thicker when I was close up to it if that matters.

TV twin lead is way different from ladder line which looks like a ladder. Jack.

If it's only purpose is to receive and not send I'd say more than usable with good connections. If your thinking of using it to send forget about it and build a cheap dipole, looks like you got the room.

I’m going with old TV antenna.
The sawzall and the dumpster is your best option.

Even if you could confirm it was at one time used for 2m
I’d never hook that relic to one of my radios

TV antenna your good to go. Not for VHF or UHF radio. If you are not going to hook you TV to it just leave it alone or cut it down it is only good for the parts. It

Pro Tip for your next house: before you buy a house, take a tour of it and inquire about things you dont understand BEFORE you close on it.
lol settle down guy - not the first time I’ve bought a place. Antenna was a non issue and out of sight out of mind.
TV antenna your good to go. Not for VHF or UHF radio. If you are not going to hook you TV to it just leave it alone or cut it down it is only good for the parts. It
Roger. I’ll leave it be. Ty!

Back
Top Bottom