• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought an MK13 kit and well…..

DosesR1

NES Member
ABEBDBA5-B2EC-4FC1-A59C-FC90BB3C4092.jpeg
This is the kit I bought I figured I’d slap on a Remington 700 in 300 win and call it a day but completely forgot they went out of business and it’s nearly impossible to find the dam rifle now. So my question is when you buy an action will it come with everything but the barrel ? I found an action and kit came with a barrel just gotta make sure I got all my ducks in order before I look for a gun smith to do it

check snipers hide for an action.

What are you plans with the rifle and why did you choose 300wm ?
going to make it my go to rifle for long range and hoping to get into hunting … and well these where issued chasis in the military and I think they only used 300wm for the Mk13 for a while. I already have a scar 17 for my 7.62x51 itch

View attachment 497298
This is the kit I bought I figured I’d slap on a Remington 700 in 300 win and call it a day but completely forgot they went out of business and it’s nearly impossible to find the dam rifle now. So my question is when you buy an action will it come with everything but the barrel ? I found an action and kit came with a barrel just gotta make sure I got all my ducks in order before I look for a gun smith to do it

Yes, depending on where you get the action.
So you'll need.....a general 700 long action?
Haven't looked in a while, but theres at least a dozen companies that make a 700 action and a bolt w/ bolt face to match. Spoiler warning- Every size from sporting to benchrest, not inexpensive. Some of these things are mammoth.
Bat actions come to mind

Like mentioned above, Snipers Hide is a good place to look for used.

Maybe one of the dealers at the Mill can find one?

going to make it my go to rifle for long range and hoping to get into hunting … and well these where issued chasis in the military and I think they only used 300wm for the Mk13 for a while. I already have a scar 17 for my 7.62x51 itch
this is a good comparison article -

300win has way more punch, but, will overall have less stability at long ranges, where it can actually make a difference. so under 300yds it is hardly gonna give too much benefit, beyond 300yds it will hit much better, but only if you will manage to land that shot.
also, for match grade ammo in 300 win you gotta reload only. 6.5CM match can be found much easier now, CMP sells it regularly and some other shops, 300win match is more difficult to find for a non-rape prices. like, midway sells it now i think for a $4pr.

as of what to shoot it with, for hunting - i would get a Mark V Ultra Lightweight and forget about kits, etc.

Last edited:
300 WM, I’m sure will be around for a long while and it is still used by the conventional Army. But it’s starting to be less and less of a first choice for new long range guns it seems.

I’m keeping an eye on 300 PRC. Yeah, it’s a new cartridge, but it seems to offer quite a bit and seems to be a good compromise between the old 300 WM with its belted case and inability to handle the longer high BC bullets, and the 300 Norma Mag which requires a big ol’ lapua sized bolt.

The number of rifle offerings in it seems to increase quickly. And it has factory Hornady match ammo like 6.5 CM too.

That’s going to be a sweet rifle with whatever receiver/chambering you choose though.

Last edited:
300 WM, I’m sure will be around for a while and it is still used by the conventional Army. But it’s starting to be less and less of a first choice for new guns it seems.

I’m keeping an eye on 300 PRC. Yeah, it’s a new cartridge, but it seems to offer quite a bit and seems to be a good compromise between the old 300 WM with its belted case and inability to handle the longer high BC bullets, and the 300 Norma Mag which requires a big ol’ lapua sized bolt.

The number of rifle offerings in it seems to increase quickly. And it has factory Hornady match ammo like 6.5 CM too.

300 PRC looks interesting for sure, but, i have no use for it, at all. may be, some day. but, i agree, interesting stuff.
also, looking at new rifles offerings in 2021 i saw more 6.5PRC coming than 300PRC.

300 PRC looks interesting for sure, but, i have no use for it, at all. may be, some day. but, i agree, interesting stuff.
I get that. And it really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense vs 300 WM if only used for hunting.

I should also point out that depending on the twist of the 300PRC barrel, one may end up detonating lighter bullets mid-flight if their velocity is bumped up too high.

Unless you're stuck on wanting a R700 to make it like a MK13, I'd suggest getting something like a Bighorn Origin so prefit barrels are an option. You'll probably recover the price difference after one barrel change. I suggested the Origin because this is NES. I expect skinflints and the Origin is probably on the lower end of the price range out of the many options.

Unless you're stuck on wanting a R700 to make it like a MK13, I'd suggest getting something like a Bighorn Origin so prefit barrels are an option. You'll probably recover the price difference after one barrel change. I suggested the Origin because this is NES. I expect skinflints and the Origin is probably on the lower end of the price range out of the many options.
What else do you recommend looking at for R700 fit receivers?

What else do you recommend looking at for R700 fit receivers?
It’s all personal preference. Controlled round feed, bolt throw, integral rail/recoil lug, trigger hanger, quick change barrel, etc. Regular R700 actions can be great since companies like Tac-Ops use them but it’s Remington so the thing could be hit or miss and gunsmithing would be expensive.

Should just drop in. Upcoming Sako day at Braintree if you’re a member and want to try those actions and compare it to the R700 when you get it.

Back
Top Bottom