Bought a Ruger SR22 for the wifey and my daughter to shoot at the range with me but..

but after shooting it today I think I may have to keep this one for myself. I've never shot a .22 semi pistol before. This thing is a blast, and after shooting about 50 rounds of .22 I shot my shield 9mm like a sniper.

Do people train with a .22 or is it just too different? The trigger is so easy on this thing I thought I had a couple of ftf's. Nope shot went off.............damn that's a much lighter pull than either of my M&P's and I had both of those done. [smile]

I have one and my wife has a purple one. Great for training. They eat any ammo, although i spoil mine with mini mags.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My wife's got one. It's a slick little pistol, and it's eaten any LR ammo it's been fed. The "upside down" thumb safety just bugs me though.

I shoot one as well, feed it just about any .22 no problem. The upside down safety thing is kinda goofy, but its typically just a little range toy anyways so I guess its not that big of a deal. Its a great gun to get people into shooting with and pretty accurate to boot !

I don't own a .22 pistol but I shot a 22 revolver a few weeks ago and now I'm thinking about getting Mk III.

It was definitely fun and certainly inexpensive. The SR22 looks nice too.

I don't own a .22 pistol but I shot a 22 revolver a few weeks ago and now I'm thinking about getting Mk III.

It was definitely fun and certainly inexpensive. The SR22 looks nice too.
check out the ruger single action 22 revolvers. Single 10 is a great shooter and easy as hell to mAintain. The stainleas steel model is beautiful and the adjustable fiber optic aights are nicely done. Im kind of wishing inhad gone with the single 6 with the 22lr amd 22wmr cylinders now though. 22 mag is fun

I got it at 4Seasons yesterday , they must've sold a 1/2 dozen of them while I was there.
the sales guy told me the SR22 and the 9mm Shield are 2 of their biggest movers.
What ammo are you guys shooting through your SR22's?
4 seasons had a palette of the CCI 36 grain "CHOOTEM" mini mags 300 round packs for $29.00
I bought one (to give it a trial) , I think I'm going to grab a few on Tuesday, I kind of want to avoid shooting lead round nose
(If that's even feasible), as these shot surprisingly clean for .22LR and I had zero issues with them so far.

check out the ruger single action 22 revolvers. Single 10 is a great shooter and easy as hell to mAintain. The stainleas steel model is beautiful and the adjustable fiber optic aights are nicely done. Im kind of wishing inhad gone with the single 6 with the 22lr amd 22wmr cylinders now though. 22 mag is fun

I've looked at those, too. I've been leaning towards the Mk III for two reasons:

a.) It resembles/is based on the Nambu pistol, and I like WWII firearms (I don't think if I've seen any others based on the design)
b.) The prices I've seen have the Mk III being about $125+ less expensive.

I got it at 4Seasons yesterday , they must've sold a 1/2 dozen of them while I was there.
the sales guy told me the SR22 and the 9mm Shield are 2 of their biggest movers.
What ammo are you guys shooting through your SR22's?
4 seasons had a palette of the CCI 36 grain "CHOOTEM" mini mags 300 round packs for $29.00
I bought one (to give it a trial) , I think I'm going to grab a few on Tuesday, I kind of want to avoid shooting lead round nose
(If that's even feasible), as these shot surprisingly clean for .22LR and I had zero issues with them so far.
10 cents a round.....jeesh

I have an sr22, first gun I ever bought. I recommend it to every new shooter. Best gun to learn fundamentals of marksmanship. Low recoil, affordable ammunition, great trigger and 299 brand new at fs ( I know because I took a buddy yesterday to buy one).

- - - Updated - - -

They have auto match at fs too. $21 for 325 rounds. 99% reliable in my sr22 and it's not a defensive gun so I don't need 100% reliability

is that high for copper plated CCI .22?
what's a good price per round for .22lr? and to you other SR22 owners , no issues using lead round nose ammo?
federal champion auto match Target seems to be pretty popular. I don't mind spending a little more if I can avoid jams etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't notice that when I was there, if this is good through the SR22 will have to grab a couple of boxes.
They have auto match at fs too. $21 for 325 rounds. 99% reliable in my sr22 and it's not a defensive gun so I don't need 100% reliability

but after shooting it today I think I may have to keep this one for myself. I've never shot a .22 semi pistol before. This thing is a blast, and after shooting about 50 rounds of .22 I shot my shield 9mm like a sniper.

Do people train with a .22 or is it just too different? The trigger is so easy on this thing I thought I had a couple of ftf's. Nope shot went off.............damn that's a much lighter pull than either of my M&P's and I had both of those done. [smile]
Which SR22 is it? Is it the regular version? You should shoot the new one if you haven't. You'll want that one too lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Which SR22 is it? Is it the regular version? You should shoot the new one if you haven't. You'll want that one too lol.

you mean the one with the longer barrel? this one has the "standard" barrel length.

That would be great!

yea but the barrel is part of the frame on the regular version...but maybe you could unscrew it?...not sure, never tried...also not sure if the frame on the regular version is the same as the frame on the 4.5" but it looks like it is...i need to do some homework on this

Last edited:
Check youtube. I'm pretty sure there has to be a video somewhere of removing the barrel. No big deal it's easy to clean attached.

My 8yo son and I love the SR22. Its a nice little plinker and great for him to learn to shoot with. I will say that I had problems with mine right out of the box. I kept getting failure to feeds, probably about 3-4 rounds every mag. I ended up sending it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel and slide for free. Never really knew what the problem was but it had been working fine since I got it back for the most part. I run only Federal Automatch 325rd packs thru it and currently have about 1k rounds with no cleaning. Last night we had several failure to feeds, failure to extract and a stove pipe. I am thinking this was all ammo related because out of the 200+ rounds, it pretty much ran fine. Flawless....no...fun yes! (and I think its time to clean this thing) =)

I like my SR22 and it does eat most 22LR rounds I have fed it. To me it's just too small to be anything other than a fun little plinker or to let other people use at the range if they are new to shooting. I don't consider it a good trainer for me due to it's size and fit in my hand. I much prefer shooting my 22/45 Mark III over the SR22 but it's still a fun little pistol.

I have one, and love it. depending on the ammo you may get occasional ftfs. It is great for trigger control and target acquisition.
Some people use it as a CCW

It is also fine for training, however, over time i learned that for pure target acquisition and trigger control, you can use a good quality gas powered pellet pistol.
Mine was a S&W M&P replica, metal, similar feel and weight, and helped a lot in trigger control, because I could shoot thousands of rounds for no cost in my basement !

one of the things I like about using this for "training" is , that it's almost exactly the same size/print as my shield 9MM. It even fits in my shields Stealthgear holster.
so switching over to the Shield didn't feel radically different. I wish I could find something liek this similar to my FS .40 LOL!

Back
Top Bottom