Bought a new pistol today (1st wheel gun).

S&W Performance Center Model 19 Carry Comp
S-W-Carry-Comp-Lead.jpg

I have been wanting a wheel gun for a long time. I have never owned or shot one. I wanted something that I could carry OWB but not too small. I originally set my mind on the J frame Model 60 Pro S&W but once I actually realized how small it was I decided I wanted something larger. When i came across this guy it was love at 1st sight. Loved the bead blasted matte blued finish and the wood grips. Price is a little steep but it is a Performance Center model which seems to always come with a premium cost. To me this is a gun I can hand down to my son. Super excited.

Now I need to hunt down a holster. Only ones i could find that were really made for this gun were custom ones for about $100. I prefer leather so i probably will be going that route. Anyone else have this model? and what do you shoot normally at the range with it? What are you using for a holster?

I had a model 13, similar gun. You are going to find 357 loads are a handful, range plinking you can use .38 wadcutters up to +P JHP,. Shoot enough of what you are going to carry in it to be proficient , otherwise anything will do... Wadcutters, plain old fashioned lead, JHP, +P loads... It will eat anything in 38 SPL, any grain will do... Beware the first batch of anything .357.personally I carried 38spl JHP +P instead of 357 easier to get back on target for subsequent shots

Like the looks of that. The metal finish color and those wood grips look really nice.

these are suppose to be nice revolvers. a lot of good chatter throughout the industry when it came out. very cool!

I had a model 13, similar gun. You are going to find 357 loads are a handful, range plinking you can use .38 wadcutters up to +P JHP,. Shoot enough of what you are going to carry in it to be proficient , otherwise anything will do... Wadcutters, plain old fashioned lead, JHP, +P loads... It will eat anything in 38 SPL, any grain will do... Beware the first batch of anything .357.personally I carried 38spl JHP +P instead of 357 easier to get back on target for subsequent shots

Thanks, my plan is to play with 38 spec p/+p for fun. Ending with some stout .357's. I'm not to recoil sensitive. I currently shoot a SR1911, 10mm that I hot load for around 1600+ FPS 180gr. Love shooting that thing. After 100-150 rounds with that bad boy a 9mm feels like shooting a .22. I do plan on eventually doing hand loads with the 38/.357 also which will allow me to "tune" the .357mag load to my preference. From all the reviews I have seen the top port reduces the recoil significantly on this gun.

J frame is where it's at
svelte but comfortable to shoot
while i have little faith in current S&W build quality, their J frames are pretty squared away
the newer design with fully supported forcing cone can run full power 357 mag all day long no issues
can you see does your model 19 have the new tensioned barrel design? or is still the older thred on design.
my current production 66 and 69 have tensioned barrel. while the purists freak out i personally dig it...accuracy is top notch and cylinder gap is perfect

J frame is where it's at
svelte but comfortable to shoot
while i have little faith in current S&W build quality, their J frames are pretty squared away
the newer design with fully supported forcing cone can run full power 357 mag all day long no issues
can you see does your model 19 have the new tensioned barrel design? or is still the older thred on design.
my current production 66 and 69 have tensioned barrel. while the purists freak out i personally dig it...accuracy is top notch and cylinder gap is perfect

I always have more room in my safe for another revolver in the future. Just right now I thought the K frame was the best fit for me. I will have to check on the barrel design. Not sure which is which but I will research it for sure.

S&W Model 19 was discontinued i believe in 1999 and this 9th revision model 19 was re-introduced last year (2019).

This is a new production model 19. It has the two piece barrel. In fact, you can see the two pieces if you look closely at the muzzle of the revolver in the picture.

S&W discontinued .357 magnum K-frame revolvers about 10 years ago due to too many repairs on warranty. Now that they have a much more robust K-frame .357 design with the two piece barrel, they are not going to make hassles for themselves by repeating the old design.

I would also add that I like the older model .357 K-frames quite well, and I think they are fine with a moderate amount of 158gr magnum loads. But the lighter bullets do hit the forcing cone harder, and apparently the new design can take plenty of those without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom