Bought a Beretta M9

I bought one a bit before the apocalypse started with a similar thought process. I'm not modding mine though - since I only bought it for the nostalgia.

Before you send the gun to a gunsmith, buy a "D" spring kit from Beretta and see how you like it.

I owned two stainless (INOX) 92s and they were among the most reliable guns I ever owned. Extremely simple. Beautiful guns. I eventually sold them to buy a BHP Mark III Standard, which I still have (the BHP is probably my favorite handgun). What bugged me with the 92s was the DA trigger pulls.

If I got back into 92s, I'd have the slide milled for a red dot, especially if you're going to send the gun to Langdon anyways.

Only thing I changed on my is the grips. I don’t mind the long trigger pull at all. Keep it as a bedside gun and carry it sometime s when I can get away with owb.

Langdon has milled slides for $572.0 and they offer a Ameriglo front sight. I ordered VZ grips, it's a fun/SHTF gun. Was able to buy 100rds of 9mm. I actually like the looks and handling now. It's new not some beat to shit M9 from a NG arms room.

You would have been better off seeking out and buying an X. Totally different, much better gun. Plus if you poke around you can get one with the LTT stuff already done to it, too.

I like the 92fs, had several over the years in many different flavors. The Beretta .22 conversion kits run like clockwork too.

Never really liked or disliked them, they were just there/issued. I carried a 1911 daily for years after that at work, and the polar opposite safety direction just kept me from ever buying a 92.
Enjoy it for what it is to you, nothing wrong with it at all.

the 92 is my favorite pistol and my carry gun. langdons work is excellent but you can get ~80% there just by installing a D spring (16#) in lieu of the factory 20# hammer spring. A G conversion is nice but only a matter of preference. Seriously though put rounds through that pistol and get good with it before sending it off for work, because you may find that doodads like NP3 aren’t necessary. Extra wolff or beretta trigger return springs are worth having on hand as they should be replaced every 5k rounds.

the 92X vs standard 92 is just a matter of preference. Most of us 92 nerds prefer the hump grip not vertec style of the 92X. Congrats on purchase of an awesome pistol.

Good buy. Nice easy to shoot well pistol.

I grabbed one back when the civilian M9 version came out. About the only mods I did was replace the plastic parts with NOS metal parts similar to the issue guns.

The Mec-Gar 18 round mags work well. They fit flush.

Second on the D spring as your first modification. Also, you can install the Langdon "trigger job in a bag" in the comfort of your own living room. The vids are on youtube and it's pretty easy. The TJIB comes with a choice of 12,13,or 14 lb hammer spring so you can go even lighter than the D spring if you want. The TJIB with the D spring and a few hundred rounds fired will produce a very nice gun. I think you'll have to put a steel trigger in with the TJIB, I think the Langdon material states that somewhere. Easy peasy. You could also replace the plastic guide rod with an stainless steel one for slightly more heft and durability.

one upping ya'll. I SHOT my M9 yesterday :p...definitely less snappy than the G43. Felt like I was in Siberia, though, but at least the pistol range at my club has a heater. Honest Outlaw on youtube ranks the M9 as a top 10, and I can see why.

Mcarbo spring kit
Ltt trigger bar
Wilson short reach trigger

tenor.gif

I have another mod on both of mine, but I haven't shot it yet. So, I can't judge it

Personal preference, houge thin rubber grips(non wrap around)

If I could find a 92 for relatively cheap, I’d buy one for sure. I always look forward to shooting the M9 each year. While I don’t really have big hands I’ve always preferred larger framed/gripped pistols. The Beretta just feels nice to me.

Now that I think about it, the M9 largely can be thanked for getting me into firearms. I’d never shot a center fire firearm before in my life until shooting the M16A2 and M9 when I first enlisted. From there it was all downhill (as far as my wallet is concerned).

A 92FS was one of the first handguns I bought when getting back into shooting several years ago (back when I still worried about getting handguns that were on “the list”). Going with the D spring was a definite upgrade, but last year I got the Xtreme-S Trgger group:
I got it during a 20% off sale for $160. It made a massive difference in the gun's trigger. Lightened both the SA and DA pull and reduced the reset. Beretta has an “instructional” video up on Youtube on how to install it. It a soundless video with almost no subtitles of a Beretta factory armourer doing the complete install (including the disassembly, installation of the new parts and reassembly) in about six minutes. Needless to say it was not really helpful. Fortunately there are several other vids available that go through it much slower and in better detail. Took me about a hour of careful work to do the whole thing.

Update, just got an e-mail from Beretta, flash sale. Get $50 off a $200 purchase, promo code PD50. Brings the cost of the Xtreme-S Trigger group down to $150.

I bought an M9 for pretty cheap last year and loaded up on 15 round pre bans. Also dropped in a threaded barrel to use my uncle’s suppressor on it up in NH. Love it. Been thinking about getting the Wilson Combat upgrade kit.

For several years it was my favorite shooter - very accurate, never a misfire of any kind. I'm an average size woman with average sized hands, it wasn't a problem, it just worked.

Before you send the gun to a gunsmith, buy a "D" spring kit from Beretta and see how you like it.

I owned two stainless (INOX) 92s and they were among the most reliable guns I ever owned. Extremely simple. Beautiful guns. I eventually sold them to buy a BHP Mark III Standard, which I still have (the BHP is probably my favorite handgun). What bugged me with the 92s was the DA trigger pulls.

If I got back into 92s, I'd have the slide milled for a red dot, especially if you're going to send the gun to Langdon anyways.

D spring is cheap and makes a huge difference. Very simple to install.

SS parts kit minus the safety which is already steel, D hammer spring, and a hogue rubber grip did the trick for me. My 92FS in that configuration was my EDC for close to half a year. The Beretta M9 and Friends have a certain charm and I actually miss mine but I don’t regret making the trade for a Sig P938. I would definitely love a Gucci Beretta in the future.

Video says it's a competition trigger, Not sure if I want such a light trigger. Anyone know the difference between this trigger and the Langdon TJIB? Langdon list #12,13,14 weight, advise?

Last edited:
Many, many times, I've thought about picking up an M9.

I was pretty ambivalent about them when I was in the Army; I drew one sometimes for jumps, since it was easier to just tape a holster closed rather than have to mess with an M1950 weapons case. But other than that, nobody really cared much about pistols.

Might start keeping an eye out.

That slide issue has been over blown and the reasons have been found out.

It's over loaded ammo past +p ranges.

It's not that big of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom