Boston's Constables (not all of them).

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Indy--formerly a prisoner of Commiechuesetts
Constables' crimes

Nearly half of Boston's constables - 88 out of 186 - have criminal arrest records, according to a Boston Police Department response to a Globe public records request. The department, at the Globe's request, provided this list of the 49 different offenses that the constables were charged with. They would not provide a list of how the cases were resolved.

(Exert from Boston Globe article: Debtors' Hell)

1. Affray
2. Annoying Telephone Calls
3. Armed Assault in a Dwelling
4. Assault
5. Assault and Battery 209A
6. Assault and Battery Dangerous Weapon
7. Assault and Battery Police Officer
8. Assault to Rob
9. Breaking Glass in a Building
10. Concealing Leased Property
11. Disorderly Person
12. False Statement to Social Security Administration
13. Firearms Violations
14. Forgery
15. Illegitimate Child
16. Impersonating a Police Officer
17. Indecent Assault and Battery on a Child
18. Intimidation Witness
19. Larceny by Check
20. Larceny More
21. Maliscious Destruction Of Property
22. Minor Possession Alcohol
23. Minor Transporting Alcohol
24. Non-Support
25. OUI

26. Possession of Burglarious Tools
27. Possesssion of Controlled Substances
28. Public Drinking
29. Receiving Stolen Property
30. Refuse to Carry Passenger
31. Restraining Order Violation
32. Sexual Conduct for a Fee
33. Shoplifting
34. Social Security Fraud
35. Theft Of Government Property
36. Threats
37. Trespassing
38. Uttering
39. Violation Abuse Prevention Act
40. Attaching Plates
41. Counterfeiting Motor Vehicle Documents
42. Failing to Stop for School Bus
43. Leaving Scene Personal Injury
44. No Insurance
45. Operating without being Licensed
46. Operating After Revocation
47. Operating to Endanger
48. Suspend Registration
49. Violation of Auto Laws

The above is NOT meant to reflect badly on the Constables that go about their job lawfully. Instead it reflects very poorly (my opinion) upon Menino & company for allow this. [angry]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bolt308 said:
15. Illegitimate Child
Since when is this illegal?

ETA - I guess since the Salem Witch Trials. Old law still on the books? Seriously, WTF is it .gov business?

ETA #2 - And what's the diff btwn a constable and a PO? I should search or google...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Indy--formerly a prisoner of Commiechuesetts
senorFrog said:
Since when is this illegal?

ETA - I guess since the Salem Witch Trials. Old law still on the books? Seriously, WTF is it .gov business?

ETA #2 - And what's the diff btwn a constable and a PO? I should search or google...
#1 I didn't make the list. I'm just posting to show what Menino, who claims to be tough on crime has allowed in his city.

#2 constables, deliver subpoenas and other court papers, placing liens on real estate, and seizing personal property to satisfy court judgments of no more than $2,500.

Constables can legally operate only in the communities that license them.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
Bolt308 said:
#1 I didn't make the list. I'm just posting to show what Menino, who claims to be tough on crime has allowed in his city.

#2 constables, deliver subpoenas and other court papers, placing liens on real estate, and seizing personal property to satisfy court judgments of no more than $2,500.

Constables can legally operate only in the communities that license them.
And make arrests. We have statutory LE powers, although we don't usually "practice them" as it PO's the PDs and we wouldn't get paid to do it.

Not true about "legally operating only in the communities that license them".

We (neither of us Boston Constables) arrested a deadbeat dad in South Boston (where he worked) and attempted to arrest another deadbeat dad (he avoided us) in Norwood and Canton. MGLs gives us statewide powers for certain things (serving subpoenas, domestic issues, etc.) and a judge can extend our powers to other towns for serving some papers.

I do almost all my work outside the town I am appointed in, as another Constable has this town sewn up.

There are a lot of gray (and some black) areas of the law wrt what we can do and since there is NO training available for Constables (gov't approved) a lot of Constables do things that are beyond their power without realizing it (just like all the legal questions and opinions that show up here on NES).

I've had a few other Constables ask me to participate in "repos" and I refused to get involved in that stuff . . . and if you've been reading this 4-part series you can now see why I took this stand! Some of what they were doing is definitely in the "gray area".

Also realize that appointment as a Constable is 90%+ political. If you don't know the right people (and support them in places like Boston) then you will never get appointed! There are NO standards for being appointed and the few rules on appointments are ignored by most/all the cities and towns. If it is elected in a particular town/city, then it is nothing more than a "beauty contest".

MGL prohibits appointment as a Constable if one has been CONVICTED of a felony in any court. Misdemeanors, CWOF, Not Guilty, etc. does NOT disqualify the person . . . unlike how most LTCs are dealt with by local chiefs.

As for the list of CHARGES (not convictions):

- Most college kids could be charged with public drinking!
- Annoying telephone calls - some Constables call defendant and advise them to meet them at court or they will be arrested. . . I can easily imagine the defendant complaining to the police about this . . . it is a gray area (I don't do it).
- Illegitimate child - laughable . . . but we are talking about Puritan Boston here!
- Impersonating a Police Officer - very gray area, we are LE. When you look at DEA, IRS, BOP, etc. in Raid Gear most frequently you will see "POLICE" on the vests/jackets. They aren't really "Police" either, but everyone knows what that means, most don't know what Constable or some of the other groups are (wrt LE powers of arrest).
- Minor Possessing Alcohol - who here while in college and under 21 didn't?
- Minor Transporting Alcohol - who here while in college and under 21 didn't?
- Possession of Burglars Tools - maybe gray area, if you are "repo'g" a car, possession of tool to get into the car is standard tool (I don't do this stuff).
- Refuse to Carry Passenger - ?? I got accused of this when I was working for the PD and refused to transport a sick person in my private vehicle! Offered to get the ambulance, person refused, I referred this problem to my Capt. and the woman that demanded that I transport her friend (who I later learned had open heart surgery 10 days later) filed a complaint (not criminal, just with chief) on me. Lt. investigated and determined that I did nothing wrong.
- Trespassing - technically part of the job, but we are supposed to leave if the person insists we are trespassing (except while doing an eviction . . . whereby we can arrest and charge the resident with criminal trespassing if they refuse to leave . . . I had to do that on an eviction). Some Constables will push the envelope here and could easily be charged with it, but in most cases it won't stick in court.
- Failing to stop for a school bus - OK, so what! Ticket yes, not a major crime. I know at least one PO (that I used to work with) that used to brag about doing this (he's now retired). Not right, but not a major crime either.
- Violation of Auto Laws - OK, who here has NEVER violated an auto law? I thought so!

I'm surprised that they didn't list Overtime Parking or Illegal Parking too!

I do NOT mean to downplay the "bad actors" out there. They make all of us look bad. But until there is some real training (mandatory) and real criteria plus background check for appointment (or election) of Constables, it will never be any better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom