Boston University lecturer, 38, 'was crushed to death by elevator when she overloaded it with a package

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Boston University lecturer, 38, 'was crushed to death by elevator when she overloaded it with a package and triggered a sensor which made it start moving, trapping her between floors'
  • Carrie O'Connor, 38, was crushed to death in an elevator accident on Monday
  • O'Connor was loading a box when the elevator suddenly dropped between floors
  • A man who was helping O'Connor believes that the package may have triggered the sensor, which caused the elevator to start moving
  • A neighbor said, 'maybe the package and the woman were over the limit' and that his wife said she saw 'the lady's arms like hanging onto her package'
  • Police were called to 1140 Commonwealth Avenue in Allston, Boston at 5.15pm
  • O'Connor, who recently moved into the 1920s building, was dead at the scene
  • A resident said the elevator was old: 'It's a two-slide door system and unless that door is completely shut, it does not move ever'
  • Management of building said elevator had been inspected within the last year
A Boston University lecturer was crushed to death when she overloaded an old elevator with a heavy package and it suddenly started moving, neighbors on the scene have said.

Carrie O'Connor, 38, was taking belongings to her apartment in the 1920s building she recently moved into on Monday evening and a neighbor at 1140 Commonwealth Ave, Allston took the stairs as he helped her with another box.

While the elevator usually works via a two-door system that requires the second door to be firmly shut before moving, it's believed the weight triggered a sensor by fault.

csobrien

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company I work for sells furniture to fancy people so we deliver in those old Comm ave brownstones and walk-ups all the time. Lots of heavy stuff in lots of old elevators. All my delivery guys are alive and well with all their limbs. Not sure what that says about this sad incident, but I’m DEFINITELY including the story in tomorrow’s safety stand-up (and probably will be more likely take the stairs next time I’m on the road, yeeesh).

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Boston University lecturer, 38, 'was crushed to death by elevator when she overloaded it with a package and triggered a sensor which made it start moving, trapping her between floors'
  • Carrie O'Connor, 38, was crushed to death in an elevator accident on Monday
  • O'Connor was loading a box when the elevator suddenly dropped between floors
  • A man who was helping O'Connor believes that the package may have triggered the sensor, which caused the elevator to start moving
  • A neighbor said, 'maybe the package and the woman were over the limit' and that his wife said she saw 'the lady's arms like hanging onto her package'
  • Police were called to 1140 Commonwealth Avenue in Allston, Boston at 5.15pm
  • O'Connor, who recently moved into the 1920s building, was dead at the scene
  • A resident said the elevator was old: 'It's a two-slide door system and unless that door is completely shut, it does not move ever'
  • Management of building said elevator had been inspected within the last year
A Boston University lecturer was crushed to death when she overloaded an old elevator with a heavy package and it suddenly started moving, neighbors on the scene have said.

Carrie O'Connor, 38, was taking belongings to her apartment in the 1920s building she recently moved into on Monday evening and a neighbor at 1140 Commonwealth Ave, Allston took the stairs as he helped her with another box.

While the elevator usually works via a two-door system that requires the second door to be firmly shut before moving, it's believed the weight triggered a sensor by fault.

if i am not mistaking...those types of freight elevators need an OPERATOR's LICENSE to run. And for a good reason.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Door switch broken? You would think they could have a fail safe design where a broken switch means the elevator is never moving.

That reminds me, when I worked in Boston financial district long ago, there was a case where a guy in a rush sticks his leg into the closing door of a full elevator to stop it. The elevator didn't care that the door wasn't fully closed and advanced to the upper floors with his leg, but not the rest of him, much to the horror of everyone else in the elevator. Fortunately I wasn't there at the time to witness this.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
if i am not mistaking...those types of freight elevators need an OPERATOR's LICENSE to run. And for a good reason.
I visited a customer in Chile last year, one of the top 3 banks in the country. The elevator had one of those operators inside with his little chair to the side.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
more here than their letting on.

The elevator had one of those operators inside with his little chair to the side.
anyone remember the department stores in boston back when they had operators in the elevators....they wore these cool uniforms and didn't look overworked. when i was 5 i was going to look into that job as a career path.

nstassel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
There was a terrible accident in the McCormick building of state offices when i was there around 1992. During rush hour in the am the elevator stuck halfway between the lobby floor and the next level. A guy tried to climb out and the elevator dropped severing his leg. Tons of people were in the lobby. I walked through when they were cleaning up. I've never held a limb in a closing elevator since.

Last edited:

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
There was just a TV report, not long ago, on elevator incidents not being reported in MA
I guess this one will get reported to an office staffed by whose relatives?

Last edited:

Night_solstice

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've seen basic rocker switches on some of the cage door elevators. If the box was big and awkward its possible it closed the switch while the door was open. 2nd error is hitting a floor button before everything was inside. Weight kind of seems like a stupid excuse

This sounds more likely than weight, I've been in some older elevators when I worked in the hospital when we would move stuff around, and remember one guy pointing at a level/switch area high on the door frame saying 'see that, don't play with that or the elevator will assume the doors are closed and if someone pushed the button to call the elevator, off you go regardless of what you're doing"

G Port

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The company I work for sells furniture to fancy people so we deliver in those old Comm ave brownstones and walk-ups all the time. Lots of heavy stuff in lots of old elevators. All my delivery guys are alive and well with all their limbs. Not sure what that says about this sad incident, but I’m DEFINITELY including the story in tomorrow’s safety stand-up (and probably will be more likely take the stairs next time I’m on the road, yeeesh).
fancy people
🤣

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Door switch broken? You would think they could have a fail safe design where a broken switch means the elevator is never moving.
My previous car (Hyundai Sonata) threw a fault code on the brake taillight switch. Easily replaced, and it was actually two switches in one assembly. Either switch closing when the switch was pressed (via mechanical connection to the brake pedal) would turn on the brake light, but if it was ever in the state of one switch open/other closed, the check engine light went on an an ODBCII code was logged.

I wonder if she would have done better to put the elevator in "fire mode" using a Yale 3502 key (available on Ebay)

Last edited:
Top Bottom