Boston Red Sox 2020

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
The Red Sox released him after the 2006 season. He played for the Indians, Diamondbacks, Mets, and finally the Brewers. He retired in 2009. That aside, he was with the Red Sox from 1993 until 20006. He spent six years in the minors before they brought him up.

As to Mookie, despite what they are saying, they really just wanted to get him off the books.

I maintain that ownership is prepping to sell the team. One thing they want to do is shed some payroll.

He was a treat to watch. We fell in love with him during his time in Pawtucket. He just looks like a regular 30yo that is playing church-league softball. He's relaxed but intense. He can do a lot. And he's got a ton of heart and effort. Plus he looks like one of hte most fun guys in the clubhouse.

Now, no diss on Red Sox ownership, but we held onto Trot Nixon for an entire career. Sure, Trot's got a ring (2?). But seriously. How about hanging onto this guy? He fills a LOT of holes for the Sox.

And the more I think about this Mookie/VerGina trade, I think it's more of a mistake. We picked up 2 players that could be gone year-end. One injured. The other is likely one-and-done. For Mookie. Who would have been gone at the end of the year. Had we got 15 prospects or something, then maybe it was worth it. I get they were trying to get something. Verdugo wasn't the thing.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Holt gave an interview in Milwaukee and said he expected to be in a Boston uniform his whole career. His contract ran out this year and the Sox didn't even make him an offer. He only made $3.5 million last year, so he didn't cost them as much as say, Rusney Castillo or the Panda.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Who the hell has 4-5 hours to waste 162 times a year?

I don’t mind wasting 3 hours 16 times a year for football, and truth be told, I probably only watch 4.

But baseball? Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Rusny cost them something like $70 Million over the length of his contract. He's not on the major league roster, so at least it doesn't count against the cap. I forget what Panda cost them, but he's finally off the payroll. I think that they just finished paying Manny last year.

For what he delivered, Brock was a bargain. A put him anywhere utility guy that could hit. Injures aside, he was an asset.

Holt gave an interview in Milwaukee and said he expected to be in a Boston uniform his whole career. His contract ran out this year and the Sox didn't even make him an offer. He only made $3.5 million last year, so he didn't cost them as much as say, Rusney Castillo or the Panda.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The Red Sox released him after the 2006 season. He played for the Indians, Diamondbacks, Mets, and finally the Brewers. He retired in 2009. That aside, he was with the Red Sox from 1993 until 20006. He spent six years in the minors before they brought him up.

As to Mookie, despite what they are saying, they really just wanted to get him off the books.

I maintain that ownership is prepping to sell the team. One thing they want to do is shed some payroll.
Damn. I swore he retired a Sox. I remember them signing him in 85 or 86 out of HS. He did spend a crazy amount of time in the minors and I was never really impressed with him.

That sucks. I think JH is a tough guy to work for. I think he's got a dual-process going. "I want to win at any cost. . . . oh and cut costs." Ummmmm. . . . . There is no reason Holt should have gone anywhere. But I hope he does well. At the very least he has more money than he ever thought he would have and he's got a F'ing ring. How many people get those?

Frickin Castillo. Another time a crappy GM ran too fast and did stupid stuff. Panda was lesser so, but signing Castillo right before or after whatshisname IN THE SAME POSITION FOR HUGE MONEY was just grade-A stupid.

For all that Castillo frustrates me, I will say that he makes sure the fans at McCoy are well taken care of. He better for $20mil or so per year to play minor league ball. He'll never play in the majors because he's already 106 years old or something. He's so old Tom Brady says, "Wow, you're old!" Good guy. Bad deal for the Sox. I think they paid too much so they WOULDN'T get beat-to-the-punch by the Yankees again. I wonder if Cashman suckered them into it.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Not a Hall of Fame career, but he always gave good effort and seems to have been a "good clubhouse guy." For whatever that's worth.

I think they signed him in 1993 or '94. Not that it matters, because he disappeared into the farm system for several years. Long enough for him to become a "Whatever happened to..." guy. Until suddenly they promoted him to the big club.

Damn. I swore he retired a Sox. I remember them signing him in 85 or 86 out of HS. He did spend a crazy amount of time in the minors and I was never really impressed with him.

Henry and Werner are first class a-holes. Since Werner made his money in Hollywood, I have no doubt he is a back stabbing Fother Mucker. I have no doubt it was him that came with the idea to trash Francona after the fired him. Henry isn't much better, for that matter.

Castillo, Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, and probably some other disasters. I'd add Carl Crawford to that list, along with Edward Rent-a-Wreck. Guys who do great in small markets like Tampa or Miami mostly don't do well here. The media and fan pressure is almost always at 11. Adrian Gonzalez was another one. The fans loved him, but he hated the fans and the atmosphere. Of course, he turned into a turd in LA, but that's their problem.

Some of the deals have turned out very well. Mike Lowell, David Ortiz, come to mind.

We'll see what they do this season, but as of right now I expect about a .500 season and no playoffs.

That sucks. I think JH is a tough guy to work for. I think he's got a dual-process going. "I want to win at any cost. . . . oh and cut costs." Ummmmm. . . . . There is no reason Holt should have gone anywhere. But I hope he does well. At the very least he has more money than he ever thought he would have and he's got a F'ing ring. How many people get those?

Frickin Castillo. Another time a crappy GM ran too fast and did stupid stuff. Panda was lesser so, but signing Castillo right before or after whatshisname IN THE SAME POSITION FOR HUGE MONEY was just grade-A stupid.

For all that Castillo frustrates me, I will say that he makes sure the fans at McCoy are well taken care of. He better for $20mil or so per year to play minor league ball. He'll never play in the majors because he's already 106 years old or something. He's so old Tom Brady says, "Wow, you're old!" Good guy. Bad deal for the Sox. I think they paid too much so they WOULDN'T get beat-to-the-punch by the Yankees again. I wonder if Cashman suckered them into it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Who the hell has 4-5 hours to waste 162 times a year?

I don’t mind wasting 3 hours 16 times a year for football, and truth be told, I probably only watch 4.

But baseball? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
Apparently some people do. You see the same faces sitting behind home plate for most televised home games.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Stop wasting your time and money on these millionaires. They don't give a rat's behind about you. They just want your hard earned cash. If you like following baseball follow a semi pro league or support your local minor league teams. Those guys play hard and don't take a single thing for granted. Most of them play for the love of the game, not the love of their wallets
After this year, going to any pro baseball games for me is going to be slim to none. I'm not driving to the WooSox to pay for a stadium. The prices for everything are going to be compatible with the Red Sox. Parking is going to be much more difficult to find than at McCoy, unless you want to get raped in the wallet. McCoy is / was always a good time and you left with some cash in your wallet after taking your entire family to the game.
Watching Castillo play is painful, absolutely no effort or hustle in the field.
Brock Holt, when healthy, was a great player for the Red Sox and his versatility for short money will be missed.
Mookie will be missed for sure.
Price can take his attitude with him to LA and see how well that works out for him. He is like Nomar, only about 15 years later.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I’d like to know if I can buy futures contracts on the legal fees generated in 7-10 years from the bankruptcy of Worcester over the stadium.

Woo!

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
How about on the 16,000 day retired list. Time to hang it up, Pedie. Sad to see it happen, but it's time.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Heard a rumor today they are considering cancelling the whole season. Seems premature. Probably look to ASB-finish. Maybe not even have a WS since it's a short season. Or maybe so. Who knows. Can't think about June in March.

Top Bottom