Boston Red Sox 2020

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Oh I concur. But all this sign-stealing BS needs to get to a conclusion. Again, the fact that NO ONE is talking about this in baseball means that EVERYONE in baseball is doing something shady and doesn't need the spotlight on their special sin. 30-40 years ago it was spitballs and such. Today, pitchers have such control that none of that is needed anymore. So teams cheat in different ways instead.

We've either got to stop caring or make it so impossible to cheat or monitor it better or something. But I will tell you that there is far more going on than just the Strohz and Soxz.

Reactions: jpm

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
From what I read, MLB took over the replay functions from the teams in the post season. So, while you can make an argument that neither team would have made the playoffs without sign stealing, once they were in the playoffs they wouldn't be able to do that.

Besides it's the Los Angeles Politbureau, so who cares what they think?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
and the sox have now become the Boston devil rays
I called they were rebuild, but nobody believed me. You don't bring in a guy like Chaim unless you're going 110% skinflint, who made his bones working for one of the flintiest teams in the league. Of course they'll probably pick up a few guys here and there but overall trash year. If they are good it will be either because they get lucky and a bunch have a chip on shoulder or Chaim is actually a hidden genius.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It will match their viewership. Can they send JBJ too?
NOOO!!!! I love JBJ. His bat is inconsistent but damn he's a great highlight reel in center.

F'ing Larry the Squid can eat it.

Funny story - daughter was at a corporate event for her company. Guest speaker was some guy from the "local MLB club." Executive-level guy. She went up to him during a break as everyone seemed to be "Afraid" of him. Started talking base-a-ball. Told him her story of us having Pawtucket season tickets and such.

"I really hate they are moving the team. We love the Pawsox and this seems like a mistake."

He replies, "Oh EVERYONE thinks that. They are building the most expensive minor-league stadium for a move that they aren't sure will carry any fan base. Why would you move so far away? It makes no sense. Worst of all - I LOVE McCoy. What a wonderful old stadium."

It was her kindred spirit thousands of miles from home. EVERYONE in baseball knows Lucchino is a dolt. I loved it. He's a nice guy, but he needs a slap and told to grow up and stop bankrupting a team. (He can bankrupt Wooostah for all I care - they are dumb enough to fall for it.)

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
At this point, I regret renewing my season tickets again.
It was HARD to NOT renew my Pawsox tickets. But it was too painful to be there last season. With Dr. Douche Douchnozzle walking out onto the field like a hero during pre-game ceremonies. At least Larry the Squid knows enough to keep his head inside.

But it's going to be a few years of rebuilding I guess. And learning to hit without cheating. LOL. Oh and a staff of three, at best. No Price. No Porcello. (Not that I mind either of them going. But. . . . . it's February guys. Chop chop! E-Rod and Sale can't pitch every game! We don't even have Steven Wright for crying out loud.)

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Even my son, who is a die hard fan, says that it's time for Henry and crew to sell the team. I understand that there was little likelihood of resigning Mookie at the end of this season, but what they got for him and Price is worth about the same as box of broken bats.

All BS aside, it's clear that they are unloading expensive players in order to make the team more palatable to potential buyers. The ball kissers on WEEI this morning were scolding fans who were expressing disappointment in the team. They said that ownership brought four WS Championships to Boston after 86 years without. That's true, but sports is the ultimate "What have you done for me lately?" field of endeavor. The five years between 2013 and 2018 were painful, yet most fans stuck with the team. As a reward, we get high ticket prices, lackluster ownership, and a cheating scandal.

Henry and partners not only own the team, but they've spent years buying up real estate around Fenway and are making hundreds of millions on that. They could let people into the park for free and still make money every year. That doesn't count their soccer team and NASCAR team or the concerts.

W.E.C

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m rethinking my opinion on price,

no wonder he took so long between pitches and was a head case.

being one of the top pitchers in the game ,and having to deal with your own manager who is screwing all the pitchers .

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I also give it about a week or less before we start hearing formulaic bullshit leaked from the team where Mookie gets smeared etc. (like the same bullshit they did to Tito, etc) Hopefully that blows up in their face, because nobody will believe it. They probably won't do it much with Price, as he more or less leaves a brown streak behind him, self-smearing....

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Red Sox Rumors: Ron Roenicke to Be Named Manager

The Boston Red Sox reportedly know who their next manager will be but do not plan on making a formal announcement until after Major League Baseball finishes its investigation of the team's alleged sign stealing.

According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, the American League East squad is "planning to name bench coach Ron Roenicke as manager."

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I'm starting to smell desperation on the part of ownership. This morning I received a call from "Red Sox Ticket Office." The call invited me to a live phone conference with the owners, where I'd be able to ask questions. I couldn't hand around for that and my only question would be "Can I get a refund on my season tickets?" anyway.

Just now I received an email from MLB informing me that because I have a season ticket package, I'm eligible for a complimentary MLB TV package for the 2020 season. I might take them up on that, unless they ask for a CC number during the sign up process. The email does state that there is no automatic renewal for next year, so may it's legit.

This is shaping up to be as bad as 2012 and everything that ownership does to "fix" it just makes it worse.

Now that Mookie is gone, I expect that worm Werner to start leaking stories about how bad he was in the club house or some other sleazy Hollywood type rumor.

El_Guapo77

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
These clowns flip their philosophies every year , we don't spend big bucks on pitchers over 30(lester ) then blow cash in price and then because they botched Lester's signing soo bad they extended sale when they do not have to , now they cut bait on Betts , and you know when the attendance and ratings drop this year they will pony up the dough for some other player

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Stop wasting your time and money on these millionaires. They don't give a rat's behind about you. They just want your hard earned cash. If you like following baseball follow a semi pro league or support your local minor league teams. Those guys play hard and don't take a single thing for granted. Most of them play for the love of the game, not the love of their wallets

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I called they were rebuild, but nobody believed me. You don't bring in a guy like Chaim unless you're going 110% skinflint, who made his bones working for one of the flintiest teams in the league. Of course they'll probably pick up a few guys here and there but overall trash year. If they are good it will be either because they get lucky and a bunch have a chip on shoulder or Chaim is actually a hidden genius.
I feel bad for Chris Sale. Maybe he can Bucholz the whole season and relax.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Brock Holt is going to Milwaukee:
He'll be missed. Clutch pinch hitter and filled in all around the infield plus LF and RF.
He was a treat to watch. We fell in love with him during his time in Pawtucket. He just looks like a regular 30yo that is playing church-league softball. He's relaxed but intense. He can do a lot. And he's got a ton of heart and effort. Plus he looks like one of hte most fun guys in the clubhouse.

Now, no diss on Red Sox ownership, but we held onto Trot Nixon for an entire career. Sure, Trot's got a ring (2?). But seriously. How about hanging onto this guy? He fills a LOT of holes for the Sox.

And the more I think about this Mookie/VerGina trade, I think it's more of a mistake. We picked up 2 players that could be gone year-end. One injured. The other is likely one-and-done. For Mookie. Who would have been gone at the end of the year. Had we got 15 prospects or something, then maybe it was worth it. I get they were trying to get something. Verdugo wasn't the thing.

Top Bottom