Boston Red Sox 2020

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
It will be interesting to see how widespread this might be. Cora will be lucky if they let him manage a Little League team after this. Then again, he's a hero in PR, so maybe they'll find something for him there. My guess is that he won't be able to ever get a job with any team that has any sort of affiliation with MLB.

My wife echoed you quote about hating Trump. "He should have just gone to the White House.", was her comment.
Just to be clear.

We are not a sports couple. We both really DGAF. When they are playing we pay attention. Fair weather fans perhaps but we sure have sat in some outstanding seats in Fenway over the past 35 years.
Cory is history for life. There’s no way of shaking off a proven cheater directly involved under any banner.
He stained the “badge”. He owns this. If the front office knew and avoided the issue is secondary.

Cory on his own name owns this.
As individuals going thru life we have only one thing in common. That is our honor. To respect each other, to treat others as we want to be treated but never forgetting our word and what a handshake really means.
Cora is a PR tool who not only stains the BRS but also the President, the USA and his home country.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Wonder if the team regrets bagging Tito now?

I think not. He grabbed this families attention to the point of listening on the radio. Just like old school ball.
Pretty much every hard core red sox fan would be rubbing one out if they had brought Theo and Tito back.... but John Henry already pissed in that well, and probably took a shit in it this fall, too.... because Theo likely met up with him when he was in the city last year and I bet Henry flinted on him, essentially handing him an olive branch that was covered in shit. ... and he probably said "shocker, oh well, ill continue being a folk hero in chicago" [rofl]

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Unless they are preparing to sell the team, I just don't see them doing that. Henry "clarified" the report that he wanted to dump payroll. He said that building a competitive team is more important. Still, I won't be surprised if they trade Betts for some farm team prospects. More so if they lose draft picks out of this mess.
IMHO he's just frosting a turd, you don't bring in a guy from the biggest skinflint team in america (although, I give the rays a lot of credit for how successful they were last year, with what they didn't spend!) if you don't want to cut costs. They need to rebuild their gutted farm system anyways and that takes time... and even though nobody wants to admit it, that means likely 1-2 shit years unless you happen to get lucky. The punishment from the league will virtually guarantee this, too. I would not be surprised to see Betts and at least one other big name let go (hopefully it's price is wrong) just so they can get young guys. The best hope for them is they get some young guys that have chips on their shoulders that can be coached up, and they'll probably do OK and then get knocked out in the postseason, there are a bunch of other AL teams salivating at the possibilities now that the Astros and the Sox will be taken down a big peg....

-Mike

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
There can never be enough bad karma when it comes to the sox owners. Another liberal tool who is the barry elliot of baseball. Can't stand either of them. Sucking cash out of your wallet and pissing down your back while smiling and nibbling on your ear.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Cora absolutely deserves a lifetime ban, but the league will tread lightly because he's a minority and they don't want to be accused of the R word, with the white guys getting only a year's suspension. Doesn't matter anyway, as he's so toxic right now that no team would touch him. Maybe he could go coach in Japan - they've got lots of neat electronic gadgets for him to play with.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thinking... How many (obviously ALL) of the Sox players knew about this, took part in it, benefitted from it etc etc etc.
Ditto every coach, everybody in the clubhouse, more than likely the GM and maybe even the ("We are shocked! Shocked!!") owners maybe knew about it or heard rumors about it and... never said a word about it until this story broke.

Forgive me if I seem cynical etc, but...Don't bullsh*t the bullsh*tter. Everyone in that dugout knew this was happening and (like a good Sergeant Schultz) "Saw nothing.. knew nothing.. heard nothing..." etc etc.

Bullsh*t.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Cora has stamped a solid black mark on Boston and I’m sure many other teams are getting sucked into the wake.
Cheating is no way to win.
Cora hating Trump is just the frosting.
BRS selling for 0.02 on the dollar to hurt the ownership?
Priceless.
BRS???? Helpabruthahout!

There can never be enough bad karma when it comes to the sox owners. Another liberal tool who is the barry elliot of baseball. Can't stand either of them. Sucking cash out of your wallet and pissing down your back while smiling and nibbling on your ear.
I loved Barry & Elliot. And MOM, the Motion Odyssey Movie Ride.

Thinking... How many (obviously ALL) of the Sox players knew about this, took part in it, benefitted from it etc etc etc.
Ditto every coach, everybody in the clubhouse, more than likely the GM and maybe even the ("We are shocked! Shocked!!") owners maybe knew about it or heard rumors about it and... never said a word about it until this story broke.

Forgive me if I seem cynical etc, but...Don't bullsh*t the bullsh*tter. Everyone in that dugout knew this was happening and (like a good Sergeant Schultz) "Saw nothing.. knew nothing.. heard nothing..." etc etc.

Bullsh*t.
To an extent, I agree. And what does it say? That this wasn't as wide-spread as we thought???? Or is it that EVERYBODY cheats on EVERY level AS MUCH AS THEY CAN so when Player X finds out Player Y, who used to be on another team, did something, he STFU because he doesn't want HIS special cheating to have a spotlight on it either.

Inside of a 3-game homestead, you can definitely steal the 3B coach's signs. You'll know if a runner is going or holding. It's not THAT hard to do. You just need one guy watching the 3B coach. Is it against the rules? Yep. Do teams do it? Probably. (Oh, they change the signs. Sure. With 1,000 other things, we're going to change the signs every game. Sure.)

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Cora is a repeat offender, as is the team. They were told in a 2017 letter from the Commissioner to stop stealing signs and relaying them via Smart Watch to the dugout. Farrell was the Manager then, but ownership was warned.

They were also told that ownership and management would be held responsible, not players. Players have a union, management and owners don't.

Maximun team fine is set at $5 million. Draft picks don't seem to have a limit.

Dombrowski is no longer employed in MLB, the most they can do is ban him from employment.

The Cora era is done, now the team has to find at least an interim manager and figure out what they want to do.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Lifetime ban, like Rose. I don't see how it could be less.
Lol that's the problem, if they don't ban him for life, people will be going "what about Pete Rose, what he did wasn't nearly as bad wtf" etc. They have to punish the shit out of cora to keep up the superficial piety act. Plus if there are other cheaters they want them to go quietly to avoid making the rest of the league look bad. If somehow it was exposed that there were a bunch of teams doing this stuff, MLB knew and did nothing, that could cause serious problems for them later.

-Mike

usp45ct

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So, isn’t it kind of poetic justice that Cora did not want to visit the White House due to his misconception about Trump’s lack of support for PR and then he gets bounced for cheating.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
So, isn’t it kind of poetic justice that Cora did not want to visit the White House due to his misconception about Trump’s lack of support for PR and then he gets bounced for cheating.
I don't really see a connection between a dumb political opinion and cheating.

-Mike

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
One thing is very clear.

The owners put together the most useless, total lack of any knowledge or talent for the media today. It was painful to listen too on my way back from the cape.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
BRS???? Helpabruthahout!

I loved Barry & Elliot. And MOM, the Motion Odyssey Movie Ride.

To an extent, I agree. And what does it say? That this wasn't as wide-spread as we thought???? Or is it that EVERYBODY cheats on EVERY level AS MUCH AS THEY CAN so when Player X finds out Player Y, who used to be on another team, did something, he STFU because he doesn't want HIS special cheating to have a spotlight on it either.

Inside of a 3-game homestead, you can definitely steal the 3B coach's signs. You'll know if a runner is going or holding. It's not THAT hard to do. You just need one guy watching the 3B coach. Is it against the rules? Yep. Do teams do it? Probably. (Oh, they change the signs. Sure. With 1,000 other things, we're going to change the signs every game. Sure.)
Teams change signs each game, sort of. The "action" sign changes...Meaning if I'm the coach and I tell my team the "action" sign is when I scratch my scrotum, then anything I do prior to that or minus that is just a decoy.
For instance, let's say the steal sign is my right hand grabbing my ear. But the "action" sign is me stroking my nuts (play along here. I'm making a point LOL)..
Okay, so you are on first base and I give you the steal sign but.. Didn't stroke myself before giving the steal sign .. There's no steal. Nothing happens without the "action" sign being shown.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure Tek is the guy, but he'll put fans in the seats. Love that guy.
You almost never know if someone is or isn’t going to work out, when it comes to baseball managers specifically. Varitek has been being groomed for the job for like 7 years, and as a player exhibited signs in both his knowledge and leadership he might make a good manager. I think he’s worth a shot.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Cardinals fan, I can't help but think back to the Chris Correa "hacking" episode, and how Houston fans howled about STL being the worst cheaters of all time.

And then I smile.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rob Manford,
Here's your solution to the sign-stealing fiasco of the last several years. Embrace the change. Take it off the table. Put a camera on the back of home plate and broadcast the signs to one and all. Voila no more sign stealing. Then, to balance the offensive impact, charge batters a strike for a time-out. The pitcher can throw as soon as he has the ball and is on the rubber. It's up to the batter to be ready. And it would speed up the game. Contact me via NES PM for my Cayman's account number to which remittance can be wired.
Signed,
A former fan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now there are allegations the Astros used electronic devices affixed to their chest under their jersey to get signals on pitches. Just allegations. But that's a whole new issue. Wow...

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Gotta admit he has more experience and respect than Cora and Cora brought home a win.

I think Varitek deserves a shot. He was a leader in the clubhouse when he played and I’m sure he would be a players coach.
Well, maybe. Or maybe Cora cheated his way to the Champeenship. Think of all of those come-from-behind wins.

One has to wonder when they'll mic-up the pitching coach and call the entire game from the dugout. No more signs. Pitcher and catcher get earbuds. Would it remove the "creativity" of a pitcher??? Ask Chris Sale that question. It would also move your catcher to a pure hitter position as he doesn't have 749 different things going through his head every pitch.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One has to wonder when they'll mic-up the pitching coach and call the entire game from the dugout. No more signs. Pitcher and catcher get earbuds. Would it remove the "creativity" of a pitcher??? Ask Chris Sale that question. It would also move your catcher to a pure hitter position as he doesn't have 749 different things going through his head every pitch.
IMNSHO that's exactly the wrong thing to do. I'd prefer to see the players on the field having as much say in the game as possible. If there's going to be an unobservable means to communicate pitch suggestions to the pitcher then I think it should be between the catcher and the pitcher.

Of course, I'm just enough of a cynic to recognize that this is probably exactly what MLB will not do.

Top Bottom