Boston Red Sox 2020

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Might as well get this one started.

The MLB investigation into "Signgate" has concluded. Houston Astros were fined $5 Million, lost draft picks, had the Manager (Hinch) and GM Luhnow suspended for the season. The owner immediately fired both of them. This relates to the Red Sox because Cora was part of what was going on in Houston and the Sox are being investigated for sign stealing in 2018. Sources say that Cora will receive "harsh" discipline as he was part of setting up the plan in Houston and of course is the Manager here.

My son follows baseball very closely. He speculates that Cora could be banned for life, which will me that the Red Sox will need a new manager.

Let the speculation begin.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
They might (strike that, probably will, if hes suspended anyways) fire Cora, and then this will further excite John Henry, who will then be calling up Chaim Bloom to authorize the orders to go FULL RETARD 110% SKINFLINT and basically tank this season while they flush out all the overpriced guys that whatshisface bought. Then Henry will send Cora a "thanks for being my scapegoat" card in the mail... [rofl]

-Mike

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
He might, but that will lower the value of the team when he wants to sell it. Right now, they are once again bleeding fans. I waited until the last minute before I paid for my season tickets and someone I know dropped his after 20 years. The fans were as disappointed with last year as they were happy with 2018.

Henry can sell the team and Fenway and still retain the properties that they have bought since they've owned the team. If he's lost interest in the team, that's what he'll do.

QUOTE="drgrant, post: 6559048, member: 859"]
They might (strike that, probably will, if hes suspended anyways) fire Cora, and then this will further excite John Henry, who will then be calling up Chaim Bloom to authorize the orders to go FULL RETARD 110% SKINFLINT and basically tank this season while they flush out all the overpriced guys that whatshisface bought. Then Henry will send Cora a "thanks for being my scapegoat" card in the mail... [rofl]

-Mike
[/QUOTE]

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Banned for life. Good. Cora is a POS. Good.
Lol.... not likely.... course it doesn't help matters for mlb because they knew about this, could have stopped it easily, and likely did nothing. Like the steroids bit but worse.

He might, but that will lower the value of the team when he wants to sell it. Right now, they are once again bleeding fans. I waited until the last minute before I paid for my season tickets and someone I know dropped his after 20 years. The fans were as disappointed with last year as they were happy with 2018.

Henry can sell the team and Fenway and still retain the properties that they have bought since they've owned the team. If he's lost interest in the team, that's what he'll do.
Doesn't matter, even if they suck they can fill Fenway most nights with tourists alone. Tanking a season or two isn't a death knell for sox, yankees, any big market team. Of course it'll be cleverly concealed etc, but everyone else knows better... he ain't selling the team, in a down year still a cash machine....

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Cora ought to resign before the next report comes out. Hope he saved his ducats; he'll be unemployable for the rest of his life now. And the Dodgers ought to be pissed.

As for Cora's replacement? I hear Josh McDaniels is looking for a change of pace...

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Cora ought to resign before the next report comes out. Hope he saved his ducats; he'll be unemployable for the rest of his life now. And the Dodgers ought to be pissed.

As for his replacement? I hear Josh McDaniels is looking for a change of pace...
Maybe, depends on how long the piety act holds up league wide. In 2020 I don't see it lasting as long as it used to. Then again baseball old timer media guys seem to be uppity
shitheads so who knows.

If two teams got caught doing this, I'm willing to bet there's easily over a half dozen, the Sox and the Astros just sucked at hiding it and/or had more eyes on them because of their relative positions in the league as big market teams.

The problem with the league position is it's untenable- "it's OK to steal signals, as long as you don't use electronics to facilitate it" [rofl] Just like, read that a few times and think of how dumb
that sounds.

Whiffs of the steroid era are back, another MLB: "we saw nothing, well, until those fans heard the trash can lids on TV, at least. " [rofl] scandal....

-Mike

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Ron Roenicke is the bench coach. Unless they reach down to that level, which they haven't done in Houston, they might start the year with him. Pitchers and Catchers report on Feb. 11. I doubt that ownership is going to dump the players and write this year off.

Despite what Dr Grant says, attendance has been going down for a few years. Even in 2018 when they were on a tear, there were empty seats. Last year there were a lot of empty seats and I ended up selling tickets below face just to get rid of them. Tanking the team on purpose will make ownership as popular as the Iranian Mullahs.

The Cora era might end as soon as tomorrow, but might last another week or so.

As for Cora's replacement? I hear Josh McDaniels is looking for a change of pace...

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ron Roenicke is the bench coach. Unless they reach down to that level, which they haven't done in Houston, they might start the year with him. Pitchers and Catchers report on Feb. 11. I doubt that ownership is going to dump the players and write this year off.

Despite what Dr Grant says, attendance has been going down for a few years. Even in 2018 when they were on a tear, there were empty seats. Last year there were a lot of empty seats and I ended up selling tickets below face just to get rid of them. Tanking the team on purpose will make ownership as popular as the Iranian Mullahs.

The Cora era might end as soon as tomorrow, but might last another week or so.
They don't have to openly admit to tanking, to do it. I'm not talking throwing games here, just not spending a lot. Most trades will involve shedding payroll vs getting talent, etc. They will still get to pretend they care as the payroll will still be huge...

nastynatural

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Boston Red Sox and manager Alex Cora have “mutually agreed to part ways,” according to an official release from the team on Tuesday evening.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

My son said it would be Noon today, but he was off by a few hours. My guess is that Cora is looking at a multi year suspension OR ban for life.

The Boston Red Sox and manager Alex Cora have “mutually agreed to part ways,” according to an official release from the team on Tuesday evening.
Unless they are preparing to sell the team, I just don't see them doing that. Henry "clarified" the report that he wanted to dump payroll. He said that building a competitive team is more important. Still, I won't be surprised if they trade Betts for some farm team prospects. More so if they lose draft picks out of this mess.

They don't have to openly admit to tanking, to do it. I'm not talking throwing games here, just not spending a lot. Most trades will involve shedding payroll vs getting talent, etc. They will still get to pretend they care as the payroll will still be huge...

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Cora has stamped a solid black mark on Boston and I’m sure many other teams are getting sucked into the wake.
Cheating is no way to win.
Cora hating Trump is just the frosting.
BRS selling for 0.02 on the dollar to hurt the ownership?
Priceless.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Wonder if the team regrets bagging Tito now?

I think not. He grabbed this families attention to the point of listening on the radio. Just like old school ball.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
It will be interesting to see how widespread this might be. Cora will be lucky if they let him manage a Little League team after this. Then again, he's a hero in PR, so maybe they'll find something for him there. My guess is that he won't be able to ever get a job with any team that has any sort of affiliation with MLB.

My wife echoed you quote about hating Trump. "He should have just gone to the White House.", was her comment.

Cora has stamped a solid black mark on Boston and I’m sure many other teams are getting sucked into the wake.
Cheating is no way to win.
Cora hating Trump is just the frosting.
BRS selling for 0.02 on the dollar to hurt the ownership?
Priceless.

Top Bottom