Boston Proposes State Law Requiring Doctors to Ask About Guns In the Home

Funny had my annual physical yesterday. The doctor asked me if I had guns in the home. Me being the prick I am said I refuse to answer that next, she says i have to ask, i said i dont have to answer.
This is the PERFECT answer. Jack.

(Still prefer the bald-faced lie, but) there's something to be said for
going full Duane Ingalls Glasscock:
MD: Do you have guns in the home?​
Pt. Do you want me to tell you whether I have guns in the home?​
MD: Yes, I want you to tell me whether you have guns in the home.​
Pt. How does it feel to want?​

Last edited:
Oh this is rich. Well documented now in the patient record. Just noticed this today while researching one of my patients.

9E8AB235-36EA-4513-926D-9FD2D48A8BF1.jpeg

If a doctor ever asked me about my seatbelt use, I'd tell him to f*** off, despite the fact that I always wear one. Is asking about that actually a thing now?
Sure is but it is always varied. Some Dr’s ask one question while others run the gambit.

In my recent experience they have asked if I feel safe at home. I resist the urge to say "sure because I know how to defend my home and my family". Instead I just say "yep".

If a doctor ever asked me about my seatbelt use, I'd tell him to f*** off, despite the fact that I always wear one. Is asking about that actually a thing now?

Insurance companies are going to start charging more to people that foolishly admit they don't wear it. Or maybe .gov will just start mailing citations, you would be admitting to breaking the law after all...........

It's been a thing at physicals for probably like 10-20 years. My current doctor is older and never asked me that, though. No "guns" or other controversial questions, though.

-Mike

That is a standard question. I think they ask that of everyone who walks in the door at the ER.
It’s purely beaurocratic medicine. JCAHO who are medical politicians set the “standard of care”. No nurses or doctors really care to ask that question which is the same as a pizza joint asking “pickup” or “delivery”.

Oh this is rich. Well documented now in the patient record. Just noticed this today while researching one of my patients.
"No guns."

Seems ambiguous.

"Pt. doesn't own guns"?
Or "Pt. doesn't like guns"?

After all, when I was really young,
I used to importune my pediatrician with,
and I quote,
"No pins!".
Because I was not real big on vaccinations.

When I go to the Doctor, I lock my Firearm in my Console Vault (TM) , but I still have my Holster on.
The Doctor knows that our whole family are "Gun" people. A few years back during my physical, one of the underlings was taking my Blood Pressure, Temperature, etc. She started asking me questions off of a list. Do you feel safe at home? "As long as I don't leave the toilet seat up at night, yes, I feel safe at home". While staring at my empty Holster she asked, do you have guns in the home? In the fashion of Stephen Wright I said calmly "What do you need". Well the Doctor started giggling uncontrollably. She told the girl that she'd take over. As soon as the girl left the roof my Doctor threw the sheet in the trash and handed me the Clipboard with a new sheet and she told me to fill it out myself, while still grinning.

Nurses in pediatricians offices ask this as part of a questionnaire that goes into a database for the insurance companies.

Another "tool" to identify you and your family as high risk to charge you appropriately. Just like them trying to get you to take a medical exam for a health assessment on you in exchange for $$$ to your HSA. The data will be used to rate you sooner or later and charge appropriately or deny coverage.

All databases are shared or eventually compromised. Just ask Facebook.

That is a standard question. I think they ask that of everyone who walks in the door at the ER.
They asked my wife that question one day. She told the nurse that she had an armed bodyguard. The nurse asked her for his name. She told her that his name was Mr. Remington 870. No further questions were asked.

They asked my wife that question one day. She told the nurse that she had an armed bodyguard. The nurse asked her for his name. She told her that his name was Mr. Remington 870. No further questions were asked.
My wife has the exact same body guard.

Ask what you want, I don’t answer half the questions truthfully.
My chiropractor asked and I said no. He had me in a chair with my feet elevated and my pocket carry fell out. He called it a not a gun.
Ask about allergies and I say “ cobra venom”.
Tell me I need a blow in the eye for Glockoma and I refuse. If they get persistent, I leave. They aren’t gonna keep me captive, I’ve got a gun.

I’m usually a jerk, but the Dr’s office cranks me to eleven.

No need to answer to anything. The only thing that you have to do in this life is die. Everything else is optional. Jack.
pogo.jpg

Well, I finally had to throw up the "BOUNDARY VIOLATION DOCTOR!!!!!!!!" protest yesterday morning when I went for my annual physical. She was asking the familiar battery about life choices that "could" affect risk factors.

When she got the question about firearms, my hackles went up.

"BOUNDARY VIOLATION DOCTOR!!!!!!!!"
Dr. "I have to ask....

NO! You don't!!! We are not going to discuss things that have nothing to do with medicine or health.

Dr. "It is my job.."

NO! It is Not. How many sex toys do you have in your nightstand? Would you like to tell me that?
She made the shape of a zero with her hand. "Fine if you want to tell me that, but I am not answering any such questions and am disappointed that you would ask.

Dr. "I don't want to get political...."

Well, you ARE and we will now move on.

She was wise enough to drop it at that point and move on. Too bad, because she is a good and responsive doctor. Unfortunately she seems to be and ivory tower liberal who has probably never so much as touched a firearm, but is brainwashed that they are bad. So sad.

Well, I finally had to throw up the "BOUNDARY VIOLATION DOCTOR!!!!!!!!" protest yesterday morning when I went for my annual physical. She was asking the familiar battery about life choices that "could" affect risk factors.

Dr. "I have to ask....

NO! You don't!!! We are not going to discuss things that have nothing to do with medicine or health.

Dr. "It is my job.."

NO! It is Not. How many sex toys do you have in your nightstand? Would you like to tell me that?
She made the shape of a zero with her hand. "Fine if you want to tell me that, but I am not answering any such questions and am disappointed that you would ask.

She was wise enough to drop it at that point and move on. Too bad, because she is a good and responsive doctor. Unfortunately she seems to be and ivory tower liberal who has probably never so much as touched a firearm, but is brainwashed that they are bad. So sad.

I just say "no" and move on - don't want my Dr to write a note on my records "was upset when asked about guns, so must have them at home" :)
/s

Dr. "I have to ask....

Dr. "It is my job.."

She probably marked down "yes".

Back
Top Bottom