Boston Police Ed Davis Want Drones For Next Marathon

What can I say:

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis

Next year's Boston Marathon could be watched over by drones.

The city's police commissioner, Ed Davis, told the Boston Herald that using the aerial surveillance technology during next year's race is "a great idea."

"I don’t know that would be the first place I’d invest money, but certainly to cover an event like this, and have an eye in the sky that would be much cheaper to run than a helicopter is a really good idea," Davis said.

Davis' interest in drones comes after the Boston Marathon bombing that killed three and injured more than 260 on April 15.

Davis also told WBZ NewsRadio that, "there are certainly serious privacy concerns that we have to consider before we do something like that.”

The Herald praised the idea in an editorial on Friday, arguing that "there may be no more useful tool" to help law enforcement prevent another attack:

How is this going to prevent an attack? It might help in identifying after an attack but sure won't stop one.

What for? Are they going to X-ray, scan you name it from a drone? How about, stop the politically correct BS that is screwing up this country and use common sense. If you quack like a duck,... and I do not care if you are white, black, yellow, straight, gay, christian, Muslim, budist, bla bla, I am going to call you a F-duck. An FU if you do not like it, tough cr-p. What the hell is going on with this over sensitive syndrome this country is going trough. Christ,..., when my kids try to pull the PC b- shit, I get them straight righ away. They will grow up with common sense.

Does anyone actually believe that more drones, cameras etc are going to improve security?

OR

Will it simply make it easier for the police to assign blame after the damage is done.

Adding drones/cameras etc will do nothing to stop these things from happening as bad guys to use slightly different tactics

Anyone else starting to wonder when .gov is going to start issueing each subject their own cop/monitor?

I suppose that if there's a good side to this is that the additional deficit spending will speed up our path to a correction

Unless they develop technology which can identify someone by looking at the top of his head, this will not work.
The level that they use now for the cameras on the buildings, is the best level, as we have seen, for seeing someone. They need to improve the resolution, so you are not looking at a fuzzy person when the take a still image of of the frame.

Maybe he wants to arm the drone and they can shoot/bomb anyone who looks suspicious. I'm sure if there is collateral damage, Davis can just chalk it up to "oh well, it was an emergency and we had to do something"!

How is this going to prevent an attack? It might help in identifying after an attack but sure won't stop one.

This....

They font care about stopping an attack. They just like having control. I wouldn't be surprised if the drone had missiles too. Since Obama said it was okay to drone Americans on american soil. He would get to test out his shiny new toy for the first time, on national land.

Didn't this retard CoP say that the marathon finish line had the most cameras in the city??? (paraphrasing) How'd that work out? What'd that stop?

What a freedom hating douchebag.

It won't stop anything it will only help put the pieces of the puzzle together. This is similar to the police department in general, they rarely prevent crimes just try to solve them after it happens. It's the nature of the beast and the main reason we as a people need to arm and protect ourselves and our family's, cops can't be with you all the time.

How long before a terrorist knowing theres thosands of cameras and drones watching whatever they want to blow up just takes the governments advice and just gets their own drone to deliver a bomb.

Im actually amazed this hasnt happened yet, my friends father used to play with a 4-5 foot rc plane, could easily pack that thing with explosives, get it way up in the air, shut the engine off and glide it down without the target even knowing its coming.

More wasted energy and resources that won't stop this from happening again. Hey, I have an idea. Why don't we use the funds and resources that would go towards this stupid idea and put it towards more detailed investigations of Chechen nationals that the Russians have told us are radicalized.

While we can't be certain of the technology .gov has I'm pretty sure that they can accomplish pure surveillance with satellites only. The days of a satellite "going out of sector" and having to wait for the next sat to "come into sector" for lack of a better term, are over...I'm sure .gov has a sat in locked orbit for every square inch of the earth that can see just as good, or, since it has no stabilization issues, better, than a drone. We already know we have sats that have thermal and nuclear imaging on them so IMO the only reason for a UAV is for the weapons platform capabilities or other direct contact devices.

I happen to be an avid FPV flier (pretty much RC drones that you fly by video monitor and not looking at the model) and I fly both planes and Multi-Rotors that can hover, and while I'm sure .gov has much better optics and platforms than I do, I can just tell satellites would be a much better pure surveillance platform which really shows me the "real" drones serve no better purpose than weapons platforms....scary shyt. Included a pic of some of my drones, , along with a picture from 100' above my house looking out over into Fall River, Assachusets :)IMG_20130321_144023_687.jpgIMG_20130409_185717_298.jpgIMG_20130405_152808_730.jpg

Last edited:
Time to dust off the ol' 10g and stock up on high power goose shot. "Drone Dynasty" ??? Let's design a drone caller..

Didn't a private company already have cameras set up which allowed them to identify the suspects?

Why do they need a helicopter to do it? Oh right. It has nothing to do with addressing the real problems.

Time to dust off the ol' 10g and stock up on high power goose shot. "Drone Dynasty" ??? Let's design a drone caller..

How to spot a terrorist...

How-To-Spot-A-Terrorist---Weapons-Of-Mass-Destruction.jpg

us-terrorist-chart.jpg

Last edited:
How long before a terrorist knowing theres thosands of cameras and drones watching whatever they want to blow up just takes the governments advice and just gets their own drone to deliver a bomb.

Im actually amazed this hasnt happened yet, my friends father used to play with a 4-5 foot rc plane, could easily pack that thing with explosives, get it way up in the air, shut the engine off and glide it down without the target even knowing its coming.

Already happened, right here.

A 26-year-old Ashland man was sentenced this morning in federal court in Boston to 17 years in prison for planning to crash explosives-laden model airplanes into the Pentagon and US Capitol and rigging cellphones to detonate improvised explosive devices to kill American troops.

Rezwan Ferdaus, who grew up in Massachusetts and has a physics degree from Northeastern University, began planning a holy war against the United States in 2010 after becoming convinced by seeing jihadi websites and videos that America is evil. He later approached a federal informant and met with undercover agents to discuss a plot.

Undercover FBI agents supplied Ferdaus, a US citizen, with money to buy the planes, explosives, three grenades, and six AK-47 assault rifles. He was arrested after he locked the explosives and guns in a Framingham storage facility he had rented. Authorities have said the public was never in danger from the arms.

If they couldn't use a drone to find the second brother, they sure as shit can't use it to prevent any thing like the bombing from happening. The PC has ASS disease from being around Menino's too long.

Unfortunately this is why I am fighting for both my hobbies (RC model flying AND shooting). Right now the "drone ban" is just as heated for us "drone fliers" as it is for gun owners, albeit on a smaller level. The CEO of Google is on a mission to get all RC controlled craft with video transmission capability banned for the reason of "it will make peeping tom's jobs easier, they can just fly around and look into people's windows" (although I'm sure he want's them banned so he can come out with his "google-copter" and have a monopolized market), followed by a bunch of idiots spouting about the issue of them being used for malicious device delivery. While it's possible, (even my cheap $500 multi-rotor has a 5lb payload capability and has RC switch controlled payload drop mechanisms), the same "one idiot ruins it for the rest of us" saying that we say for gun owners goes the same for these things. Sad all around :(

Back
Top Bottom