• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston PD to get 200 AR's for the street cop

The jackass mayor was just on the news saying he does not support the Officers getting these rifles

I think all gun owners are asking for is equal rights. Why should the police have special rights for their defense when we do not? I'm all for the police having the equipment to equal the threat out there. I'm also just as much for ORDINARY CITIZENS having that same ability!
This is a key point. Can citizens in Boston own AR's? If not, this is hypocrisy and tyranny. They say they need them, because of all of the threats out on the street, but the peasants don't. The peasants lives are not as valuable as the government agents lives, and the government wants complete control via superior firepower. It is un-American and unacceptable.

This is a key point. Can citizens in Boston own AR's? If not, this is hypocrisy and tyranny. They say they need them, because of all of the threats out on the street, but the peasants don't. The peasants lives are not as valuable as the government agents lives, and the government wants complete control via superior firepower. It is un-American and unacceptable.

Boston residents cannot own ARs. No ARs, AKs, FNs, and a few others, although other EBRs are OK with ten round mags.

Im sure thats precisely why they are equipping them with AR15s. It couldn't possibly be that its an officer safety issue. The threats those guys face today are allot more serious than they were 20 years ago. There are numerous instances where the police have been outgunned by criminals in the past few years. Additionally the risk of terrorist attacks like those in Mumbai, even as unlikely as they would be in Boston is still a contingency that should be planned for. I think its great that they are finally looking to set these guys up for success in the event of a serious incident. Thats how it is, go ahead and bitch some more that your life isnt as valuable as a "government agent's life" But thats who they are protecting. You sound like a moron.

So tell me, why do the police need these rifles, yet on the same dangerous streets, the law abiding citizens don't? I'd like to benefit from your superior intelligence.

So tell me, why do the police need these rifles, yet on the same dangerous streets, the law abiding citizens don't? I'd like to benefit from your superior intelligence.

Hey dude what do you do for work? If say you were a firefighter, you would want the best equipment to save your life right ie: SCBA, FLIR, good extraction equipment right? Now that being said, Im a big believer of being set for success, use of common sense etc. Your job is not to carry a weapon ot protect others, enforce laws etc. Well it is theirs. If you come out of your cave and watch the news you would see that criminal elements are utilizing more high powered weapons. Look at the 94' bank robbery in Hollywood. The officers had to borrow AR15s from local gun shops to be able to suppress the bank robbers, in armor in order to save their buddies. So that being said 1 instance of numerous ones says to me lets set those guys up for success. Now to sit here and bitch that they dont need them is a few things aside from stupid. The whole "the government is out to get us" notion is absurd. im sure there out to target you, Johnny Paranoid in order to destroy all of your rights. All you do is feed the fire of people who own guns are whack jobs. Addationally your saying you dont want officers to be able to survive lethal encounters with gunned up criminals, or god forbid and attack like in Mumbai. Regardless of if AR15s were legal in Boston, your not going to be carrying it with you. These need to be on the streets for horrible situation for first rest responders to use. you I dont know, but Id like to know the police are properly equipped to protect my family if the need occurs and I am not present. All I'm saying is theres a better way to formulate your argument where you dont sound like a lunatic. Should the people of Boston not be allowed to own these weapons, of course they should be able to own them legally. But because of that should the police be restricted, absolutely not.

I work for the phone company. I have all of the tools I need to do my job. If you wanted those same tools, you could go out and buy them too.
You didn't answer my question. Why do the police need to be prepared to succeed in a dangerous situation, yet the regular law abiding citizens are forbidden from protecting themselves with the same tools?
Point two, I didn't say the police shouldn't have these weapons. I said that if they need them, then so do the citizens who live on these same streets.
My job is not to carry a weapon to protect others(and that isn't the police's job either by the way), but it is my responsibility to protect myself. Yet, if I lived in Boston, I am forbidden from equipping myself to succeed in this mission, using your wording.
So, again, if these streets are so dangerous that the police need ar15's, why are they not dangerous enough that the regular law abiding citizens need them to defend themselves?

Last edited:
Doesnt anyone remember the big Hollywood bank robbery? Thats what started the whole patrol rifle trend. What good is a 92F when the bank robber has an ak with a drum? I work in a town of 8000, and I have a Bushmaster with 60 rounds right next to me and a Mossberg....just like the one Navy Moose displays in his signature only shorter. If you can have it in your home you better F'in believe I can have it in my cruiser!!!!!

ANd the girl at fenway was hit by a pepperball in the eye....it was a paintball with OC ricocheted off the ground. It was cold...so the ball was harder...and I dont believe the officer that did it was properly trained.

Last edited:
it makes me nervous that the gangbangers can be home for dinner and commiting a crimes with illegal guns... [grin]

I really don't have a problem with the police being prepared, so long as they acknowledge that if there is a threat out there sufficient for them to be justified in "being prepared" with these weapons, there is a threat out there sufficient to justify me "being prepared" with these weapons...

I understand the probability is low in my nice neighborhood, but so is the probability of someone committing a crime with any gun that I own...

As I've personally experienced violent crime in "nice" neighborhoods (different state, but nice none-the-less, heck it was a "gated community"), the argument that the probability doesn't justify it has already been disproved for me already...

Thats sounds ok with me...just make sure we got the same caliber so we can swap mags??? Ha
Probability is low in my work neighborhood to...knock on wood. Living in the place we do we will always have to do some BS to get what we want...background checks waiting some period depending on your background etc etc. (When I get really sick of it Ill move to Logan Martin, Alabama.) But in my humble opinion there are guns that Joe Snuffy dont need....such as the streetsweeper. But then again using that argument Id love a Beretta 93R...and dont really need it. Course that did not stop me from buying a .44 Desert Eagle...no question of need there.... sorry I ramble...gotta go to work.

And yes I am sure there are some legal AR's in Boston. Remember the New York and DC days are over...Supreme Court says so. Boston cant single anyone out from owning a firearm to include a semi auto post ban AR...and maybe a few of the good ones to...heehee

and speaking for the police...if you come out of your house and come near me with your AR how the hell do I know who ya are? Defend your home. Defend your family. If the Russians come Ill chirp ya on your nextel and we'll form an L shaped ambush near the MobilMart.

And yes I am sure there are some legal AR's in Boston. Remember the New York and DC days are over...Supreme Court says so. Boston cant single anyone out from owning a firearm to include a semi auto post ban AR...and maybe a few of the good ones to...heehee

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. The Boston ban bans several specific models and their variants, but allows everything else. It's not like the DC ban.

It's not like the DC ban.
moreover, dear leader is about to put a woman on the Supreme Court who recently said 2A does not apply to the states...

The Heller battle has just begun and we are about to see a lower court judge get to hear the appeal to her own decision on the SCOTUS bench...

Sorry. If regular, law-abiding citizens are forbidden from owning these, then the cops have no right to use them either. It's ridiculous at the most fundamental level that they says cops need these to combat a growing threat, yet law-abiding citizens don't need them. If you give them to the cops, then allow people to protect themselves with the same weapon.

Sorry. If regular, law-abiding citizens are forbidden from owning these, then the cops have no right to use them either. It's ridiculous at the most fundamental level that they says cops need these to combat a growing threat, yet law-abiding citizens don't need them. If you give them to the cops, then allow people to protect themselves with the same weapon.

+1

however - cops are NOT law makers...

the sheeple vote and "we" have to obey... [rolleyes]

By your logic, the military should be limited to semi-automatic rifles and handguns unless they pay transfer taxes and get forms signed off by CLEOs on every machine gun.

If the cops were getting armed with FS2000s, which ARE Boston legal, the same people using this argument would be raising the same stink. If you don't think cops should have patrol rifles, just say it. Don't dance around the issue, differing views are welcome here.

Last edited:
really????[thinking]
statistically, you're talking about less than 10% of the BPD force with one of these rifles; locked in a cruiser. They won't be carrying them on bike or foot patrol. By the time a SWAT unit gets to the scene 2hrs has gone by.

Do you want to drive up on a liquor store robbery in progress, the BG's have a couple of shotguns, a handgun and , lets say a 10/22. You & partner have your G23's and, while taking continuous fire, have to wait the 90+ minutes for SWAT because you cannot get a good shot off?

+1

Hey dude what do you do for work? If say you were a firefighter, you would want the best equipment to save your life right ie: SCBA, FLIR, good extraction equipment right? Now that being said, Im a big believer of being set for success, use of common sense etc. Your job is not to carry a weapon ot protect others, enforce laws etc. Well it is theirs. If you come out of your cave and watch the news you would see that criminal elements are utilizing more high powered weapons. Look at the 94' bank robbery in Hollywood. The officers had to borrow AR15s from local gun shops to be able to suppress the bank robbers, in armor in order to save their buddies. So that being said 1 instance of numerous ones says to me lets set those guys up for success. Now to sit here and bitch that they dont need them is a few things aside from stupid. The whole "the government is out to get us" notion is absurd. im sure there out to target you, Johnny Paranoid in order to destroy all of your rights. All you do is feed the fire of people who own guns are whack jobs. Addationally your saying you dont want officers to be able to survive lethal encounters with gunned up criminals, or god forbid and attack like in Mumbai. Regardless of if AR15s were legal in Boston, your not going to be carrying it with you. These need to be on the streets for horrible situation for first rest responders to use. you I dont know, but Id like to know the police are properly equipped to protect my family if the need occurs and I am not present. All I'm saying is theres a better way to formulate your argument where you dont sound like a lunatic. Should the people of Boston not be allowed to own these weapons, of course they should be able to own them legally. But because of that should the police be restricted, absolutely not.

I agree with you that cops should have good guns to get the job done, but the issue is that the point of the 2A is that the government and the people are supposed to have equal rights to arms.

if your referring to the girl that was killed by fenway park, that was not a rubber bullet.

ANd the girl at fenway was hit by a pepperball in the eye....it was a paintball with OC ricocheted off the ground. It was cold...so the ball was harder...and I dont believe the officer that did it was properly trained.

Not true. I've posted this here before.

Victoria Snelgrove wasn't killed by a "pepperball gun." Not even close. She was killed by an FN 303 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Snelgrove) that hit her in the eye.

This is what the FN 303 looks like:

800px-FN_303.JPEG

The newspapers reported that she was killed by a pepperball gun, and the sh*tstorm started when the media investigated and found out that the Boston PD wasn't trained in the use of pepperball guns. [shocked] And that's 100% true (or was at the time, I'm not up to par on BPD's current certifications), but it didn't matter because she wasn't shot with a pepperball gun. That's what the news reported, but that's not what happened.

The news made it sound like something happened that didn't happen, because controversy sells newspapers.

By your logic, the military should be limited to semi-automatic rifles and handguns unless they pay transfer taxes and get forms signed off by CLEOs on every machine gun.

If the cops were getting armed with FS2000s, which ARE Boston legal, the same people using this argument would be raising the same stink. If you don't think cops should have patrol rifles, just say it. Don't dance around the issue, differing views are welcome here.

The military are fighting in wars, first of all, and the streets of Boston are not a warzone. Secondly, by his logic, the citizens shouldn't have to pay transfer taxes and get signed off on by leo's for machineguns. You spin it to help your point, and it's just as easy to spin it the other way.

I'd love to see Boston issue LTC-A-ALPs to everyone who passes the background check. I don't see how Deval, Menino, and the powers that be haven't figured out the correlation between ridiculus gun laws and homicide rates. Somehow Concord and Manchester, NH don't ban citizens from carrying and yet they're not war zones. Everyone should have an equal opportunity to 2A rights.

I see some positive results of putting patrol rifles on the streets of Boston. One of the biggest is that now these arent "evil" anymore...they're law enforcement tools. That opens the next debate that "citizens don't need high-powered police guns", but it gives ARs a dignified reputation of defending the public. Also, and let's not lose this in the pissing battle of police vs. citizen rights, these guys have to deal with the shit they're called to. There's no retreating from the body armor-clad mercenaries determined to take out the patrolmen standing in their escape route. Yes, SWAT has all this equipment and training, but the entire shift will be bleeding out by the time they get the chance to put on their gear.

Adding one more tool to the police officer's cruiser isn't turning him into a SEAL...we're not discussing putting tanks on the streets. Call me complacent, but I don't see the argument that somehow rifles make police departments into tyrannical goblins and suppressors of freedom.

Back
Top Bottom