• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston mayoral election

I just left work; on my way to vote. Looks like Connelly has been leading in all of the preliminary polls; I'm hoping Walsh comes in second, thus eliminating Conley. Whoever wins will get a pro 2A letter from this resident.

I just left work; on my way to vote. Looks like Connelly has been leading in all of the preliminary polls; I'm hoping Walsh comes in second, thus eliminating Conley. Whoever wins will get a pro 2A letter from this resident.
Awesome!

Conley was running 5th in the last poll. The point I've made to his campaign and that of Mike Ross is "Lawful gun owners may not have the numbers to decide who wins the election: but we sure as hell have the numbers, and the money, to decide who does not win the election."

In Conley's case, "Lawful gun owners are very 'law and order' types. If you had focused as much attention on prosecuting gun traffickers as on writing letters to the New York Times, you might have had our support."

I cannot verify what someone told me: that the Suffolk DA has not prosecuted a gun trafficking case in more than five years. No idea if that is true: frankly it sounds impossible given he set up a "gun court."

There's fighting for rights and doing nothing, I.e. voting for people who have no chance of winning in a state that is arguably the most liberal in the country.

I fail to see how you're fighting for gun rights in MA. The only thing left is to start shooting. Other than that you're really just sitting around letting it all happen.
non compliance/civil disobedience still has potential

8,000 gun owners vs. how many EBT card holders?

If people thought you could get 8k gun owners to vote they'd just use more campaign money to bus welfare families to the polls.///
Don't let any facts get in the way of your argument. BTW, since you are such an expert on Boston - when was the last time you set foot here?

If I were you, I'd focus on making sure NH doesn't vote like it did in the last two elections - for Obama.

mayor.jpg

Don't let any facts get in the way of your argument. BTW, since you are such an expert on Boston - when was the last time you set foot here?

If I were you, I'd focus on making sure NH doesn't vote like it did in the last two elections - for Obama.

Last week. But don't let my actual travel habits get in the way of trying to bash me while I point out the fact that you're amazingly out numbered in Boston. I bet I could find more people who support actual outright communism in Boston than I could that support gun ownership.

Also, peeling a field down to two for the ballot is a pretty crappy way to conduct an election. 35% of voters just decided 100% of the ballot. Awesome.

Last edited:
Last week. But don't let my actual travel habits get in the way of trying to bash me while I point out the fact that you're amazingly out numbered in Boston. I bet I could find more people who support actual outright communism in Boston than I could that support gun ownership.
Many of us are tied to Boston for various reasons. What is your solution, just give up?

Also, peeling a field down to two for the ballot is a pretty crappy way to conduct an election. 35% of voters just decided 100% of the ballot. Awesome.
Should the 18% have decided? And yes, 35% decided the ballot, but not the overall result; most elections work this way.

Many of us are tied to Boston for various reasons. What is your solution, just give up?

Should the 18% have decided? And yes, 35% decided the ballot, but not the overall result; most elections work this way.

Most ballots do not work this way. Most ballots are open based on a certain number of signatures or simply just registering to be on it. Most ballots are not limited by a prior non partisan election. I believe you're referring to the use of private club's (I.e. Rs and Ds) methods of nominating their own candidates. Private club's rules have nothing to do with public election ballots.

That's retarded. Just because you think it's that way doesn't mean it's so. JFC, if you want to stay in MA, be my guest, but calling out members for that shit is immature. It's like any other life decision, just based upon states and when choosing to fight+ choosing to vote with your feet and run.

So is Marty Walsh the guy to root for? He appears less anti that Connolly.

It's the battle of union hacks. I don't think you'll hear much about guns, you'll see them try to offer bigger pay offs than the other in graft. They all SUCK but these two are probably the best on guns (they'll still suck on guns but less than the others).

If someone likes Boston, hey good luck to you. I know the city well and have been to every neighborhood. It is a sh!thole. There are drugs everywhere, crime all over, the worst roads in the country, the people suck, oh yeah and the traffic and terrible layout tops it. All cities suck, they are liberal hell holes filled with poverty, crime and drugs.

If I were given free rent in Boston, I'd say no. I'm not dealing with the crap of that place, not now, not ever.

If someone likes Boston, hey good luck to you. I know the city well and have been to every neighborhood. It is a sh!thole. There are drugs everywhere, crime all over, the worst roads in the country, the people suck, oh yeah and the traffic and terrible layout tops it. All cities suck, they are liberal hell holes filled with poverty, crime and drugs.

If I were given free rent in Boston, I'd say no. I'm not dealing with the crap of that place, not now, not ever.
It's HORRIBLE! Stay away! You need to get the word out better, we get 18 million tourists a year.

I'll give you an example of how awful it is. Do you know the city charges me $24 a year just to attach my boat to the bottom of the harbor? Marblehead only charged me $165.
i-XsCDQxP-L.jpg

That $14 billion tunnel you bought us - worst road in the country, even though it cut my commute 14 minutes.

Drugs everywhere? You say that like it's a bad thing! Everyone knows there are no illegal drugs in the suburbs.

My kids go to horrible schools, Boston Latin School and Boston Collegiate Charter. They are full of people who don't look like us! Not only that, some of them weren't even born here! BLS only sends about 100 kids a year to Ivy League schools, what's up with that!

Oh, and the professional sports teams are dreadful and the last time I went to a Bruins game it cost me $2.00 for the T and took almost 24 minutes! Even worse, on most winter weekends there are two or three college hockey games at the same time, but I can only go to one of them!

And in the Spring, when you walk down Newbury St on a warm day, there are thousands of young women who are so poor - they hardly have any clothes!

So sad. NOTHING any of you say is going to get me down - Menino is out of here!!!!!

Last edited:

Absolutely! I too hate the harbor, the skyline, the bars, the restaurants, the museums, the pretty girls, the good universities. Although that said, I don't feel the need to constantly watch my back walking down my street...

It's HORRIBLE! Stay away! You need to get the word out better, we get 18 million tourists a year.

I'll give you an example of how awful it is. Do you know the city charges me $24 a year just to attach my boat to the bottom of the harbor? Marblehead only charged me $165.
i-XsCDQxP-L.jpg

That $14 billion tunnel you bought us - worst road in the country, even though it cut my commute 14 minutes.

Drugs everywhere? You say that like it's a bad thing! Everyone knows there are no illegal drugs in the suburbs.

My kids go to horrible schools, Boston Latin School and Boston Collegiate Charter. They are full of people who don't look like us! Not only that, some of them weren't even born here! BLS only sends about 100 kids a year to Ivy League schools, what's up with that!

Oh, and the professional sports teams are dreadful and the last time I went to a Bruins game it cost me $2.00 for the T and took almost 24 minutes! Even worse, on most winter weekends there are two or three college hockey games at the same time, but I can only go to one of them!

And in the Spring, when you walk down Newbury St on a warm day, there are thousands of young women who are so poor - they hardly have any clothes!

So sad. NOTHING any of you say is going to get me down - Menino is out of here!!!!!

[rofl]. You think the tunnel that still is pumping millions of gallons of salt water out because it leaks like a sive is a positive? It will fail in 20 years, salt water has a way of destroying things. Don't forget it already killed one.

Also, $14 billion? I think you missed another $7 billion. $21 billion when the intial cost was estimated at $3. And it cost millions each yr in repairs because it's such a pos. Sweet rd.

It would be better if mumbles was never mayor. He's a moron and very corupt. People think he's just a mumbling harmless moron. He's dirty. Lot's of things have not been built, or moved because mumbles play favorites and has his cronies. The new fenway should have been built at fort point channel.

Last edited:
My 11 and 13 yo daughters usually take the T home from school.

Dear Dan Conley,

Now it's time to get back to work finding and prosecuting all those gun traffickers roaming the streets of Boston.

Last edited:
My Boston home is located on a 21,500 square feet of property bordering conservation land. We see deer and coyotes rather frequently. My property taxes run about $2500.00 per year. My water & sewer costs approximately $15.00 a month except in July and August when it jumps up to $25.00 a month. I have a built in steam shower and a Jacuzzi in which I ease my aging bones. My woodstove warms me during the deep winter months. My gas bill never gets near the $200.00 amount because my home is well built and insulated. I don't have kids in the school system. I have great neighbors and other than the political BS, I have little to complain about. To the posters who have said I live in a *hithole, I'll disagree. When I leave the city, it will be related to decisions made at the State House rather than those made at City Hall. It is too bad that a discussion about a Mayoral election has to get littered with comments meant to insult the good, law abiding citizens who still make up the majority in Boston.
Best regards.

There are some great areas in Boston. Where Garandman lives, Popes Hill, and the area around Ocean Street in Dorchester. That doesn't even mention West Roxbury, Brighton-Allston, and a good chunk of Hyde Park and Roslindale. Or South Boston, much of Charlestown, along Commonwealth Ave. The parts that are not so desirable are small by comparison and for the most part outsiders don't go to them.

The only thing I'd really criticize Menino for is the overbuilding in Downtown, the Back Bay, the South Boston Seaport District, and the Longwood Medical Area. The streets haven't kept up with the construction and increased occupancy, let along the parking. Still, that's brought a lot of revenue into the city and given a lot of people, residents or not, good jobs.

If anyone has complaints about the schools, I'd suggest that they look in the mirror. Anyone who knows the first thing about how schools work knows that the biggest predictor of how a kid will do is how involved the parents are. Look at the number of poor Asian kids that graduate from Boston schools and go to really good colleges. These are kids who in many cases didn't even speak English when the came here, and yet the excelled. That's because their parents set the standards. As much as we complain about the schools, the fact that kids can get free schooling regardless of the economic condition of their parents is something you don't see in most other countries.

There is a lot to love about Boston and as you say most of the stupidity comes from the State House, not City Hall. I don't like Menino's position on a lot of the Democrat part line stuff, but sometimes I think he just says that so that the city can get money from the state and federal governments.

Finally, when you look at the corruption in other big cities across the country and then look at Boston, things are pretty good here. One city councilor convicted of taking bribes? Look at other cities where the Mayors have gone to prison for taking bribes. Unlike other cities, I don't think Menino cashed in as Mayor.

Boston could have done a lot worse for Mayors over the last 20 years. Boston Police, Fire, and EMS are all well regarded public safety agencies across the country. None are perfect, but again compare them to other major cities like Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, and even New York and the city is in good shape.

If it weren't for the stupid gun laws (in MA) and my hating winter more and more, I'd love to live in Boston.

My Boston home is located on a 21,500 square feet of property bordering conservation land. We see deer and coyotes rather frequently. My property taxes run about $2500.00 per year. My water & sewer costs approximately $15.00 a month except in July and August when it jumps up to $25.00 a month. I have a built in steam shower and a Jacuzzi in which I ease my aging bones. My woodstove warms me during the deep winter months. My gas bill never gets near the $200.00 amount because my home is well built and insulated. I don't have kids in the school system. I have great neighbors and other than the political BS, I have little to complain about. To the posters who have said I live in a *hithole, I'll disagree. When I leave the city, it will be related to decisions made at the State House rather than those made at City Hall. It is too bad that a discussion about a Mayoral election has to get littered with comments meant to insult the good, law abiding citizens who still make up the majority in Boston.
Best regards.

There are some great areas in Boston. Where Garandman lives, Popes Hill, and the area around Ocean Street in Dorchester. That doesn't even mention West Roxbury, Brighton-Allston, and a good chunk of Hyde Park and Roslindale. Or South Boston, much of Charlestown, along Commonwealth Ave. The parts that are not so desirable are small by comparison and for the most part outsiders don't go to them.

The only thing I'd really criticize Menino for is the overbuilding in Downtown, the Back Bay, the South Boston Seaport District, and the Longwood Medical Area. The streets haven't kept up with the construction and increased occupancy, let along the parking. Still, that's brought a lot of revenue into the city and given a lot of people, residents or not, good jobs.

If anyone has complaints about the schools, I'd suggest that they look in the mirror. Anyone who knows the first thing about how schools work knows that the biggest predictor of how a kid will do is how involved the parents are. Look at the number of poor Asian kids that graduate from Boston schools and go to really good colleges. These are kids who in many cases didn't even speak English when the came here, and yet the excelled. That's because their parents set the standards. As much as we complain about the schools, the fact that kids can get free schooling regardless of the economic condition of their parents is something you don't see in most other countries.

There is a lot to love about Boston and as you say most of the stupidity comes from the State House, not City Hall. I don't like Menino's position on a lot of the Democrat part line stuff, but sometimes I think he just says that so that the city can get money from the state and federal governments.

Finally, when you look at the corruption in other big cities across the country and then look at Boston, things are pretty good here. One city councilor convicted of taking bribes? Look at other cities where the Mayors have gone to prison for taking bribes. Unlike other cities, I don't think Menino cashed in as Mayor.

Boston could have done a lot worse for Mayors over the last 20 years. Boston Police, Fire, and EMS are all well regarded public safety agencies across the country. None are perfect, but again compare them to other major cities like Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, and even New York and the city is in good shape.

If it weren't for the stupid gun laws (in MA) and my hating winter more and more, I'd love to live in Boston.

That was very well written. I for one am guilty of lumping beacon hill in with boston and treating them interchangeably.

That was very well written. I for one am guilty of lumping beacon hill in with boston and treating them interchangeably.

Thanks. I just noticed that my keyboard must be wearing out. The y doesn't seem to want to be at the end of some words. Take that into account when reading this. [grin]

There is a lot of "Blaming the Victim" here as well.

Some of the folks that bleat about the case being "hopeless" should really take a nice big glass of STFU and either find another thread, or figure out what they can do to help. I'm also pretty sick and tired of people bitching about the state but then saying they are "trapped" here by a job or family or whatever. Make the most of your life, for goodness sake! Unless MIT shuts their doors we are going to have a steady stream of new technology to benefit from.

There are many, many cases where states have been turned around, as witnessed by how many states now allow CCW that previously banned it. A lot of people here rank on Rosenthal as a turncoat: but their actions are little better!

I don't expect much gun love from either but who is the less terrible choice on 2a in the mayors race? Part of me is rooting for Walsh just because Menino can't stand him and if Menino doesn't like someone, that is a good thing.

I don't expect much gun love from either but who is the less terrible choice on 2a in the mayors race? Part of me is rooting for Walsh just because Menino can't stand him and if Menino doesn't like someone, that is a good thing.
Walsh is a big time union guy who said that the first thing he will address if he wins is "gun violence in the streets". Connolly wants to audit schools. Big difference there, imo. Connolly has been pretty silent on the 2A front, which makes me somewhat hopeful.

Anyone familiar with the councillor at large race? Eight names that I'm not familiar with...

Edit: looked up the pair running for district 9 (Allston-Brighton) District City Councillor, and Bronner is a gung-ho supporter of gun buy-backs, while Ciommo, the current councillor, is quiet about firearms, as far as I can tell.

Edit2: looked up the 8 running for councillor at large. While, predictably, no one has openly spoken out in support of gun rights, the 4 that haven't spoken out against them appear to be Kelly, Flaherty, Murphy, and Ross. In the primary, Flaherty came in a close second, Murphy third, and the others way behind.

Edit3: Flaherty is against "cop-killer guns". Murphy supports stricter gun laws. Ross supports gun control. Still no specific anti stuff from Kelly.

Last edited:
Walsh is a big time union guy who said that the first thing he will address if he wins is "gun violence in the streets". Connolly wants to audit schools. Big difference there, imo. Connolly has been pretty silent on the 2A front, which makes me somewhat hopeful.

Anyone familiar with the councillor at large race? Eight names that I'm not familiar with...

Edit: looked up the pair running for district 9 (Allston-Brighton) District City Councillor, and Bronner is a gung-ho supporter of gun buy-backs, while Ciommo, the current councillor, is quiet about firearms, as far as I can tell.

Edit2: looked up the 8 running for councillor at large. While, predictably, no one has openly spoken out in support of gun rights, the 4 that haven't spoken out against them appear to be Kelly, Flaherty, Murphy, and Ross. In the primary, Flaherty came in a close second, Murphy third, and the others way behind.

Connolly has a tv spot I've seen a lot where he says he's in favor of tougher gun laws.

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/10/boston_mayoral_candidates_john.html
The candidates agreed on several issues. Both talked about the need to improve education in order to prevent gun violence. Connolly stressed the need to connect young people in middle school with social and emotional support; Walsh advocated reforms to keep kids in high school and treat the trauma that children see on the streets. Both talked about the need for stronger gun laws nationally and for more efforts in Boston to trace guns used in violent crimes. Connolly also argued for the reinstitution of a gun buyback program.

stronger gun laws nationally and for more efforts in Boston to trace guns used in violent crimes. Connolly also argued for the reinstitution of a gun buyback program.
Had conversations with both campaigns about that.

The "stronger gun laws nationally" stems from the idea that gang bangers can just hop in a car, drive to another state, and load their trunks with guns.

Connelly is suggesting gun buy-backs because some voters seem to like the idea. I quoted Cambridge:

Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas said the cost of a gun buyback program outweighed the benefits of the program. Since most crimes are committed using illegal firearms, Haas said past programs in other cities, including a 2006 gun buyback program in Boston, demonstrated that criminals don’t often turn over weapons to police that are used in crimes.

“These guns are extremely valuable for the people who use them for illegal purposes,” Haas said. “We’d never be able to give them enough money to equal the value they place on those weapons and to get those kinds of firearms off the street.”

Read more: http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridg...opts-out-of-gun-buyback-program#ixzz2jh6m4VKA

From Boston Ward 21:

Q: How will you try to reduce gun violence in Boston? And will you continue Mayor Menino's efforts as a national advocate for gun control?

Marty Walsh:
As I mentioned earlier, one of the main principles of my administration will be collaboration. This will be especially true with public safety. Communities and police departments across the country are increasingly realizing that collaboration is crucial in working to deter violence, especially gun violence. Here in Boston, the majority of gun violence homicides are done by youth who are involved in gangs. In addressing this problem, Boston is becoming a national model with the success of the Partners Advancing Communities Together program. PACT was designed in 2010 to zero in on a small amount of targeted young people most likely to commit gun violence, or be the victims of gun violence. Close monitoring and services were best realized by connecting Boston Police Department, community groups, and multiple other agencies that serve and monitor these small amounts of youth involved in violent crime. Weekly interagency meetings allow for sharing crucial information and providing the best services possible. As mayor, I would seek to continue and expand up successful programs like this.
I would also like to expand our street workers programs. This will allow experienced and enlightened community members, who often have learned from their own past mistakes, to establish relationships with community's suffering from violence and help these communities intervene before violence escalates. I will use successful street worker programs like the ones at BCYF, and will seek to connect with the Boston Foundation to learn from some of the successes they've had with a program they fund called Street Safe.
Communities in collaboration with police and concerned agencies can work to address this problem as a team. It's been done before and can be done again.

John Connolly:
One of the most effective ways to stop crime is to maintain a committed, mobile police force, with the necessary resources to keep a constant presence in all of Boston's neighborhoods. While I am mindful of the city's budgetary limitations, as a City Councilor I have made it a priority to preserve funding for police officers.
As gangs become more organized and sophisticated, we need to use innovative law enforcement strategies for curbing gang violence and drug sales. In Ceasefire programs, police officers compel gang members to attend a meeting, demand that the shootings end, and promise severe punishment directed at the entire gang if they do not end the violence. This is an effective and efficient way of showing gangs that we are serious about making Boston a safe and livable city.
Although Massachusetts has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, Boston continues to lose residents to gun violence every year. I will support any and all efforts to limit illegal weapons in our city, including reinstating a gun buyback program to get handguns off of our streets. I will also be a strong voice in support of national background checks, assault weapon bans, limits on magazine sizes, and the closing of gun show loopholes to reduce the flow of guns into Boston from states with weaker laws.

Kind of a toss up in my mind. Marty Walsh says more of the right things with respect to targeting the actual problems. Connolly on the other hand is mouthing all the typical gun ban talking points. It's hard to say if he's sincere or just reenforcing the echo chamber.

I'm a bit leery of Walsh only because he's actually been shot and can't not affect the way he feels about guns.

It's a touch call from the 2A perspective, but ultimately I doubt it either one of these guys will do much to change the status quo.

Back
Top Bottom