Boston Marathon security and possession of discouraged items

Its really very simple.

1) They can only force a search if they have reasonable articulable suspicion.
2) They can make complying with a search a condition of entry into certain spaces. These are typically at the start and finish. Along the route, its not a big deal. At the start and finish, if they are searching bags as a condition of entry into a certain area, you are free to turn around and not enter.

from Hopkinton to Boston, there is too much space for them to stop a bombing if someone has the intent and a bit of knowledge. And there are too many people for them to search, etc. if they wanted to. Where last year was the first after the bombing some times like mine were ABSURD and were using front end loaders, plow trucks, anything big, to block some main roads a few blocks from the marathon route. It's all a show that isn't going to stop a thing if someone wants to do something.

The marathon is on Rt 16 in Wellesley. Rt 16 has a bridge that goes over Rt 9. I'm certain Rt 9 will be open, if someone built a Ryder truck bomb like McVeigh, drive under that 16 bridge and push the button. There are hundreds of streets that go into the route, drive a car into the crowd, etc. It's not a superbowl where they can set up a perimeter. It's impossible to practically defend it.

It'd be nice if they changed the route so it doesn't screw up Ashland, Framingham and Natick all day. No bridges over the route through any of those towns, you cannot get north or south unless you drive to Rt 128 or around the start in hopkinton. Sucks.

from Hopkinton to Boston, there is too much space for them to stop a bombing if someone has the intent and a bit of knowledge. And there are too many people for them to search, etc. if they wanted to. Where last year was the first after the bombing some times like mine were ABSURD and were using front end loaders, plow trucks, anything big, to block some main roads a few blocks from the marathon route. It's all a show that isn't going to stop a thing if someone wants to do something.

The marathon is on Rt 16 in Wellesley. Rt 16 has a bridge that goes over Rt 9. I'm certain Rt 9 will be open, if someone built a Ryder truck bomb like McVeigh, drive under that 16 bridge and push the button. There are hundreds of streets that go into the route, drive a car into the crowd, etc. It's not a superbowl where they can set up a perimeter. It's impossible to practically defend it.

It'd be nice if they changed the route so it doesn't screw up Ashland, Framingham and Natick all day. No bridges over the route through any of those towns, you cannot get north or south unless you drive to Rt 128 or around the start in hopkinton. Sucks.

1189487339012.png

You could always just stay the F away from the Marathon altogether? I lived in Cleveland circle right on the marathon route for two years and worked in Framingham. I was stuck for hours in Framingham with no way to get back to work the first year because of the Marathon, then screwed again when I was trying to get home. Second year I took the day off, watched some of the marathon as they ran by (the wheelchair folks are amazing!). Third year I was out of there and will never go back near it.

I've never been interested in watching people take long jogs. But if I was to try to become interested, I think it would require the use of a cooler.

last night on the news, they showed the helicopter that's going to look for nukes.

Whew....I can rest easy, now

They will never find it, never. I hid it in a pressure cooker that's smaller than 12x12x6...

Oh,and...
Costumes covering the face or any non-form fitting, bulky outfits extending beyond the perimeter of the body

Spandex for everyone! For your viewing pleasure...

Last edited by a moderator:
They will never find it, never. I hid it in a pressure cooker that's smaller than 12x12x6...

Oh,and...

Spandex for everyone! For your viewing pleasure...

On a serious note, the BAA and secirity is so absurd they won't allow troops to jog the race in their uniform and some have done in a group for decades. It's lunacy.

On a serious note, the BAA and secirity is so absurd they won't allow troops to jog the race in their uniform and some have done in a group for decades. It's lunacy.

If I'm reading it correctly, this year their policy allows for officially registered military personal with rucksacks. I don't know if this includes the Tough Ruck group or not, but it seems to be relaxed from last year.

If I'm reading it correctly, this year their policy allows for officially registered military personal with rucksacks. I don't know if this includes the Tough Ruck group or not, but it seems to be relaxed from last year.

Last years ban was stupid. How hard wold it have been to check the packs and give them some unique arm band or whatever.

They are very thorough, a NES member carry through their wand search in hopkinton last year. They did the same last year. The stuff about no bags on the route or you can be searched is bs. They can't search your bag without your ok.

It's bs for the sheep to eat up.

"It's for your own protection!"

-.gov

last night on the news, they showed the helicopter that's going to look for nukes.

I've been watching it fly overhead for days now. HOW MUCH MONEY IS THIS COSTING ME? If I'm paying for it, can I at least get a ride every once and a while? I'll even chip in for fuel(even though I already paid for it).

I've been watching it fly overhead for days now. HOW MUCH MONEY IS THIS COSTING ME? If I'm paying for it, can I at least get a ride every once and a while? I'll even chip in for fuel(even though I already paid for it).

I think the BAA is covering the costs. [rofl]

I think the BAA is covering the costs. [rofl]

There are actually "official" BAA cars parked out on Copley Sq right now that have BAA license plates, with their logo to the left of the numbers, that are specific to this year's marathon. I don't get it.

Last years ban was stupid. How hard wold it have been to check the packs and give them some unique arm band or whatever.

Apparently the ban made a lot more sense to them than just assuming that our vets, who are running in support of out troops/vets, have no intention of bombing their own country. [rolleyes]

I tell people down here about this and the other lunacy that goes on up there all the time. They think I'm lying... [banghead]

Do you think I could sit on my front steps with a rifle on Monday or would it be out of the question to host an open carry party in my front yard?

Sounds like a good idea to me. You should have a canning party too. Never too early to start preserving food for next winter.

Apparently the ban made a lot more sense to them than just assuming that our vets, who are running in support of out troops/vets, have no intention of bombing their own country. [rolleyes]

I tell people down here about this and the other lunacy that goes on up there all the time. They think I'm lying... [banghead]

Anytime they don't believe you, look them in the eye and say remember, this is the same place that elected ted kennedy for 50 years, barney frank for 30, etc.

I live on the marathon route and that thing buzzes the street about 6X or more on the day off, rattles the windows flying low and faster than one would think considering what it's doing.

I saw the Marathon for the first time last year. Some aspects of security were interesting. They let the Elite runners out in waves. About 2 minutes before the first runners in a wave go buy a black van bristling with cameras and Boomerang sensors (tracks bullets back to their source) drove by. About a minute later 3-4 black vans loaded with SWAT guys go by. The last van has the rear door open and 3 SWAT guys sitting in the back dangling their feet out. Then a minute later come the runners.

I could always see at least one dog and handler as well as several military looking guys. I don't recall seeing rifles but lots of drop-leg holsters.

I was working communications at a first aid station and the Red Cross people there who had been doing the Marathon for years said they had never seen it like this. I'll be in a water tent this year. It will be interesting to see any differences.

Anytime they don't believe you, look them in the eye and say remember, this is the same place that elected ted kennedy for 50 years, barney frank for 30, etc.

Unfortunately half of them wouldn't know who those two are. Especially BF.

I wanted to literally [banghead] the other day. My wife's friend from work, 23 yr old, looks over at me and she asked "Did you know Phil Collins used to be in a band called Genesis?" [shocked] I looked her square in the eyes... "Are you ****ing kidding me?". Nope, she was serious. [crying]

I know, unrelated as far as political awareness goes, but it chipped a little more off of what's left of my ever waning faith/hope for that generation.

I wanted to literally [banghead] the other day. My wife's friend from work, 23 yr old, looks over at me and she asked "Did you know Phil Collins used to be in a band called Genesis?" [shocked] I looked her square in the eyes... "Are you ****ing kidding me?". Nope, she was serious. [crying]

I know, unrelated as far as political awareness goes, but it chipped a little more off of what's left of my ever waning faith/hope for that generation.

I'd be happy she knows phil collins. His last major hit was when she was born. Always look at the positive. As bad as MA is, you escaped, so that's a positive. [smile]

The second Fort Hood shooting took place less than three weeks before the marathon last year.

Not defending the BAA's position on it, but the idea that a soldier or vet wouldn't harm their own country isn't that farfetched.

The second Fort Hood shooting took place less than three weeks before the marathon last year.

Not defending the BAA's position on it, but the idea that a soldier or vet wouldn't harm their own country isn't that farfetched.

Yes, but that was strictly "workplace violence"!! [rolleyes]

I never said "all vets". I thought I made it clear I was talking about the group that has been running w/ packs for charity for the past few years. They could just be doing a LOT of surveillance before making their move...

It really sucks for those of us who work around the finish line... Having to go through TSA style nonsense to get to my office is ridiculous.

kind of pain for those that live at the starting line too.[wink]
Work from home day for this guy.

I saw the Marathon for the first time last year. Some aspects of security were interesting. They let the Elite runners out in waves. About 2 minutes before the first runners in a wave go buy a black van bristling with cameras and Boomerang sensors (tracks bullets back to their source) drove by. About a minute later 3-4 black vans loaded with SWAT guys go by. The last van has the rear door open and 3 SWAT guys sitting in the back dangling their feet out. Then a minute later come the runners.

I could always see at least one dog and handler as well as several military looking guys. I don't recall seeing rifles but lots of drop-leg holsters.

I was working communications at a first aid station and the Red Cross people there who had been doing the Marathon for years said they had never seen it like this. I'll be in a water tent this year. It will be interesting to see any differences.

My first time at the marathon was last year as well. I went to see my sister running it.

Hopefully, the next time I go, it won't be to watch others run...but I'm still a ways away from being able to do that.

I think Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings as well.

My first time at the marathon was last year as well. I went to see my sister running it.

Hopefully, the next time I go, it won't be to watch others run...but I'm still a ways away from being able to do that.

It keeps getting harder and harder to qualify. My wife's run NY and she is nowhere near qualifying for Boston.

Back
Top Bottom