• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston LTC restrictions in light of SCOTUS decision?

I don’t have a problem with the RI model….buy w/e you want and keep it at home no questions asked. You wanna carry, you need to prove you can hit what your aiming at. The test is not that hard and quite frankly you have no business carrying if you can’t hit the target consistently.
You need a LTC just to possess a firearm in this state. And Boston restricted almost all of them anyway, until now. Sow how was the Moon Island test relative to concealed carrying a firearm? It was an abusive practice meant to deprive people of the means to own a firearm, let alone carry one. They acted in bad faith then, and that history of bad faith should prevent them from instituting another "live fire" test. How were people supposed to even learn how to hit a target, without an LTC to own a firearm to practice with?

How were people supposed to even learn how to hit a target, without an LTC to own a firearm to practice with?

This is the big problem with "marksmanship tests." I had a lot of weapons training before I moved here, but if you're just some jamoke off the street, you need to become familiar with shooting before you try it for record. This state doesn't give said jamoke the ability to do that legally, but almost every other state does. So MA "allows" you to have your very first firearm at the same time it "allows" you to carry it.

That's a problem, if your stated goal is "safety." That's sarcasm.

It is arbitrary and the interptetation of what is an acceptable standard would not survive the Bruen test, given that establishing said standard is an application of subjective reasoning.

If all applicants must complete a live fire component along wth the 4 hour safety course, then such a requirement would meet the conditions laid out by Thomas.

Of course, all this is without consideration of the text and history test, hich wouud in theory strike down all this extra crap.
Can I expect the historical analogue to justify live fire, or even just a safety class, to qualify for licensure will be the same historical analogue that justifies a city or town requiring you to pay for and attend a civics class as a condition for being added to the voter roll?

So update. After the AG finally told watertown they are now shall issue. I asked AGAIN to have my restrictions removed. Was told No AGAIN. Because they were waiting on guidance on THAT from the AG.
I'm done with them. I'm moving out.
Watertown caved as of this morning. But of course they never e-mailed me back to tell me this. If i didn't follow the Watertown PD facebook page I would never have known. I wonder how many people who don't follow cases like Bruen and things of this nature have no idea that their restrictions are now invalid.

Watertown caved as of this morning. But of course they never e-mailed me back to tell me this. If i didn't follow the Watertown PD facebook page I would never have known. I wonder how many people who don't follow cases like Bruen and things of this nature have no idea that their restrictions are now invalid.

Yep.

They're being very sore losers, those Watertown cops.

Yep.

They're being very sore losers, those Watertown cops.
Well im wondering if it's not just Watertown. I'm honestly wondering if most of the departments who still issues with Restrictions (almost all within the I-95 boundary) are telling people that their restrictions are no longer in place. If this is a form of "soft gun control" for lack of a better term. But not informing people that their restrictions are removed so they won't carry.

Well im wondering if it's not just Watertown. I'm honestly wondering if most of the departments who still issues with Restrictions (almost all within the I-95 boundary) are telling people that their restrictions are no longer in place. If this is a form of "soft gun control" for lack of a better term. But not informing people that their restrictions are removed so they won't carry.

I'll bet that's exactly the case. Some towns are making a MUCH better effort to get the word out than others. There are probably large pockets of FUDDery across MA that will keep following their restrictions just because they've never heard of NES, their CoP won't reach out to them, and they don't really care about RKBA at all.

A few years from now, some LTC holder named Rufus or something will walk into the cop shop out past Pittsfield or somewhere, perplexed because his renewal doesn't have any restrictions anymore. "Wait... can't I get them put back on?"

A few years from now, some LTC holder named Rufus or something will walk into the cop shop out past Pittsfield or somewhere, perplexed because his renewal doesn't have any restrictions anymore. "Wait... can't I get them put back on?"
"But Officer my busy body wife is gonna make me sell my duck gun and grandpa's WW2 bring back 1911 if my license doesn't say "hunting" !" -Fuddy McCuckle

I'll bet that's exactly the case. Some towns are making a MUCH better effort to get the word out than others. There are probably large pockets of FUDDery across MA that will keep following their restrictions just because they've never heard of NES, their CoP won't reach out to them, and they don't really care about RKBA at all.

Yeah EXACTLY what I'm thinking.

It's better to get a win in the 1st Federal Circuit than the SJC or some Mass district court,
because then it applies to more jurisdictions.

But while I've said that going after Lexington would be an epic win,
I suppose there is an advantage in going after a town
that has a more optimal balance of stupidity and poverty.

Because if we can get a poor town into Federal court,
they'll hire sh¡ttier counsel, and the beatdown may be easier.
The problem with places like Lexington, they are incapable of seeing that they are the stupid rich people. They actually think having a PhD or JD makes them smaaht. But you can't fix stupid no matter how many degrees stupid has on the wall.

The problem with places like Lexington, they are incapable of seeing that they are the stupid rich people. They actually think having a PhD or JD makes them smaaht. But you can't fix stupid no matter how many degrees stupid has on the wall.
They mistake credentials for intelligence, wisdom, and competence.

There are probably less than a dozen full on shit red towns left and they're having their karen moments of distress is what it is.

There are probably less than a dozen full on shit red towns left and they're having their karen moments of distress is what it is.
I’m shocked Brookline gave up without a fuss. All I can think of is that when Boston decided to, Brookline’s legal Counsel determined a fight wasn’t worth the budget hit.

I’m shocked Brookline gave up without a fuss. All I can think of is that when Boston decided to, Brookline’s legal Counsel determined a fight wasn’t worth the budget hit.
More likely that they would lose.

I think the next MA battleground may be suitability.
  1. The courts ignore that even pre-Bruen, the standard was changed to "dangerousness", not "any reason that was not arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion".

2. Evidence admissibility - now that having an LTC is a right (previously not because of contorted logic by the 1ct Circuit in Moyer), will hearsay be allowed? Will the person being deprived of a right be allowed to confront the witness against him? What about "general reputation" and non-disclosed "confidential sources?".

3. Due process - will suitability be subject to due process, or will it be considered constitutional to deny/revoke an LTC for being found not guilty of a crime; being arrested with no charges or having charges dropped/dismissed; exercising the 5th amendment; etc.?
I expect a strong fight from PDs that will argue "suitability is what we say it is".

Last edited:

I don't think they're done f***ing with people, but may do so in corner cases with suitability bs. Hopefully for our sake its someone that joe averageperson wouldn't consider unsuitable to grease the skids in court.

ETA: i think they folded on the front end to avoid taking an obvious tiger uppercut 4x combo hit when they lost.... as politically it puts them in a bad place with playing more games....

The Chiefs may be anti gun / no gun for unwashed masses, but there is zero doubt that the elected officials are behind these civil rights violations.

I don't think they're done f***ing with people, but may do so in corner cases with suitability bs. Hopefully for our sake its someone that joe averageperson wouldn't consider unsuitable to grease the skids in court.

ETA: i think they folded on the front end to avoid taking an obvious tiger uppercut 4x combo hit when they lost.... as politically it puts them in a bad place with playing more games....
CWOF applicants will still get screwed over. Assessment of good moral character will always be in the eye of the beholder.

A few years from now, some LTC holder named Rufus or something will walk into the cop shop out past Pittsfield or somewhere, perplexed because his renewal doesn't have any restrictions anymore. "Wait... can't I get them put back on?
Except in dumps like Springfiled, pretty much nobody west of 95 was getting restricted ltcs anyway, fudd or not

This may not be a popular opinion, but as someone who lives in the city of Boston and had to take a live test. I am completely in favor of the live fire test, of the five people took the test on the day I did only two passed. Two failed because they could not handle the firearm safely, range officer took both their firearms away and sent them back to the classroom . The third gentleman failed because he could not hit the target at all. After seeing this I was completely in favor of the live fire test, I don’t want anyone Who cannot safely handle a firearm and hit a target on the street with me. Yes Boston police have to take the same test as a civilian, when I went to renew my license there was an officer there that needed to renew his LTC he would have to wait three months for a live fire test , but he was told he can carry on his badge.
I dont want you on the street near me. Or as my neighbor. Or, if I am ever in court, as part of the jury.

The test was f*cking bullsh*t.

There are a lot of new people, or even experienced people, that don't shoot revolvers and are not great with them. You expect a noob to be good?

I will give you an example ... at steel challenge, I shoot revolver. I let some guys that shoot rimfire try it out. With their rifles or handguns, they completed the stage in under 4 seconds. With my revolver they couldn't break 7 seconds and missed a bunch.

The same happened going the other way, I shoot a steel challenge in 3-4 seconds. A guy gave me his rifle with a red dot, he shoots the stage faster than me. I could not break the 3-4 seconds with his rifle.

Why? ... because we weren't used to each others guns.

If there had to be a test, a better test would have been safely handling a firearm and hitting anywhere on paper at 10 yards. What you want to make sure is they don't send a round to the ceiling or floor.

And allow people to use two hands and single action whenever they want.

Last edited:
I don’t have a problem with the RI model….buy w/e you want and keep it at home no questions asked. You wanna carry, you need to prove you can hit what your aiming at. The test is not that hard and quite frankly you have no business carrying if you can’t hit the target consistently.
And RI is a sh*thole.

A bunch of you should move to NY, you will get all the government you want and thsr govt will ensure that as few people can own a gun.

No I chose to move to a free state so no sweat off my back. Only regret is I didn’t leave sooner!!
You are such a hypocrite.

You agree that people should have to prove they can hit a target before carrying ... yet you move to a State where I am assuming, because you said "free", people don't need to prove anything.

Make up your mind, which one is it. You want more government or you don't. Stop flip flopping.

Cuck. If training is “beneficial”, why don’t we see more constitutional carriers endanger themselves or others?

I would encourage every gun owner to become proficient with their weapon of choice, and to shoot regularly to maintain that proficiency.

I do not want it government mandated.

It is not a good thing for someone to go to a range, learn to shoot enough to get the certificate and go get their LTC

It can give them the impression that they can shoot.... sure they may pass some stupid test but what happens when they have to break leather, get two or more center mass, while pumping adrenaline....

There is a reasons Pilots have to "be current" by flying regularly, and even the amount to be "current and legal" is not the same as being safe and proficient.

But again I don't want the training government mandated, I want them to be told by other shooters that constant training is what responsible gun owners do.

I don't see this happening.

Although ... when she becomes Supreme governor leader of the commie wealth of Massivetwoshits ... it could happen.

I still think her hard on is pointing at online sales, and as supreme leader she can probably shut that down. We will see.
Her successor seems like a tighter twat

Back
Top Bottom