• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Herald: Nation under the Gun

LTCRN

NES Member
nation under the gun
By Ty McCormick / As You Were Saying . . .
Saturday, July 24, 2010

Since President George W. Bush appointed him chief justice of the Supreme Court, John G. Roberts has made Second Amendment cases a prominent feature of the docket.

If you’re reading this, you are fairly unlikely to be shot today. That is because Massachusetts has one of the nation’s lowest firearm death rates. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the only people safer than Bay Staters are the hang-loose, luau-lovers of Hawaii.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Massachusetts also has some of the toughest gun laws in the country to thank for that safety. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court’s recent decision in McDonald vs. Chicago may be the first step toward loosening those regulations.
In McDonald - which struck down two Chicago-area handgun bans - the Roberts Court ruled that the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment right to bear arms, thereby protecting that right against infringement by the states. Previously, the Second Amendment only protected individuals from federal infringement. As a result, the court’s landmark ruling in D.C. vs. Heller, which heralded an individual right to gun ownership, has been extended to the states.

While the ruling poses no immediate threat to Bay Staters since Massachusetts boasts no outright firearm prohibitions, this does not mean we should shelve our concern. Since President George W. Bush appointed him chief justice in 2005, John G. Roberts has made Second Amendment cases a prominent feature of the Supreme Court docket. In the entirety of the 20th century, the court heard only one case on the right to bear arms, but in Roberts’ brief tenure we have already had two, both of which confirm a fundamental, individual right to gun ownership and use.

Moreover, because the Heller majority ruled that the right to bear arms is rooted in a deeper, inherent right of self-defense, safety laws that render guns inoperable or inaccessible, such as trigger-lock laws or child-access prevention laws, may well become more susceptible to challenge. If I have a fundamental, individual right to defend myself against an attacker, then a regulation requiring me to keep my Glock unloaded and locked with a safety device would seem to be unconstitutional.
Even more startling, the majority’s maddening manifesto in Heller appears to foresee (and welcome) challenges of this nature. In reassuring us that the right to bear arms is not without limitations, Justice Antonin Scalia writes, “The court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings.”

It says nothing about safety regulations of the type I just mentioned. And for the record, great, I’m glad we can all get together on declining to arm criminals and the mentally disabled. But for those of us who think there ought to be just a few more regulations on obtaining deadly artillery, Heller, and now McDonald, offer only silence.

Most leading legal commentators remain skeptical that the Supreme Court’s pronouncements will have an impact as pervasive as I have predicted, but I wonder how vulnerable they thought inner-city handgun bans were five years ago, before Roberts came aboard.

As a Massachusetts resident, and someone who enjoys competing with the Aloha State on gun safety issues, I think we ought to pay close attention to the litigation that follows in the wake of McDonald. It took all of one day for the petitioners to realize that Heller had provided an avenue to challenge Chicago-area gun laws (they filed suit within 24 hours). I wonder how long it will take the next batch of litigants to seize on the opportunities provided by McDonald.

Ty McCormick is a recent graduate of Stanford University where he worked as a Research Fellow at the Martin Luther King Jr. Research and Education Institute. He lives in Boston.

As they say, you can always tell a Stanford man. It's just that you can't tell him much. Apparently things were slow at Borders so he took the time to write this drivel.

I'm still amazed that they only talk about the shooting death rates as opposed to the number of shootings! Perhaps we have some of the best hospitals and worst shooters.

The violence in MA seems to be extremely unevenly distributed (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2008_murders_in_boston/) , with something like 50% of the murders and attempted murders happening in just a few square miles of blighted areas. So quoting these statistics over the whole state is just completely dishonest. I'm sure trigger locks and safe storage laws, and one gun per month will really cut down the assaults in Mattapan.

Comrade McCormik said:
It took all of one day for the petitioners to realize that Heller had provided an avenue to challenge Chicago-area gun laws (they filed suit within 24 hours). I wonder how long it will take the next batch of litigants to seize on the opportunities provided by McDonald.
I think this pretty much sums up the problem...

Ty presumes those who would defy his genocidal lunacy of an ideology to be idiots...

Did you expect these idiots to quit "The Big Lie" tactics?

If you’re reading this, you are fairly unlikely to be shot today. That is because Massachusetts has one of the nation’s lowest firearm death rates. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the only people safer than Bay Staters are the hang-loose, luau-lovers of Hawaii.

They typically form a bunch of organisations and foundations to promote their lies, then quote each other.

The violence in MA seems to be extremely unevenly distributed (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2008_murders_in_boston/) , with something like 50% of the murders and attempted murders happening in just a few square miles of blighted areas. So quoting these statistics over the whole state is just completely dishonest. I'm sure trigger locks and safe storage laws, and one gun per month will really cut down the assaults in Mattapan.
Logic, reason, facts and history don't enter into the debate for these people. At least not in any "honest" way. Statistics enter in only as they see fit to justify their agenda.

The bottom line for the self styled "intelligencia" is that they believe "the masses" too stupid and incompetent to take care of themselves and thus they need to be "ruled." The best intentioned of them do this out of a self righteous feeling of pity for the poor fools they see around them. The worst of them, do this to forcibly maintain their privileged position in society.

These people are true enemies of liberty because, in their estimation, the average slob on the street cannot be trusted with freedom.

Last edited:
oh my freaking lord.... when will they learn to target the ACTUAL CRIMINALS.... you know, pookie out in Eastie with a gat in his drawers?????

[rolleyes] this makes me wanna pistol whip someone! [rofl] since owning guns makes me 628.38% more likely to go postal. right?

[rolleyes] this makes me wanna pistol whip someone! [rofl] since owning guns makes me 628.38% more likely to go postal. right?
No, quite the contrary... Having an LTC in this state makes you at least that much, if not more UNLIKELY to commit a crime of any sort, violent or otherwise than someone without an LTC.

No, quite the contrary... Having an LTC in this state makes you at least that much, if not more UNLIKELY to commit a crime of any sort, violent or otherwise than someone without an LTC.

oooooooh, that's right. I jumped through hoops, took a firearms safety class, got finger printed, PASSED background check and continuously do so EVERY TIME i purchase a gun from a gun shop... but I AM THE PROBLEM... along with the rest of you.

i think we need to volunteer and turn our LAWFULLY OWNED GUNS to make the problem go away....

F U Boston Herald....

oooooooh, that's right. I jumped through hoops, took a firearms safety class, got finger printed, PASSED background check and continuously do so EVERY TIME i purchase a gun from a gun shop... but I AM THE PROBLEM... along with the rest of you.

i think we need to volunteer and turn our LAWFULLY OWNED GUNS to make the problem go away....

F U Boston Herald....
Exactly, we need to start taking a closer look at those who not only don't have an LTC, but actively avoid getting one. What are they hiding? [wink]

Ohnonotthisshitagain.jpg

if i was on welfare and didn't have a valid LTC, i could terrorize neighborhoods, shoot a rival gang member and be out on $500 bail, IF that...

but since i follow the law, i am under more scrutiny... its ok. following the LAW SHOULD subject me to that... [rolleyes]

Last edited by a moderator:
These recent anti gun stories coming out are all organized and planned. Expect more of them. The anti's really hate the SC ruling. It's all part of the propaganda.

Why should one person's right to self defense have anything to do with the actions of others? Discussions of gun control as it affects crime should be irrelevant.

Does Ty McCormick intend to inform the Public that National Statistical data reveals a person is more than 9,000 times more likely to die from Medical malpractice than to die the victim of a gun crime. In a state like Massachusetts with Universal coverage, wouldn't that Stat likely be higher? I mean, logic would dictate that if we banned guns and went on a universal health plan nationally, the death toll would skyrocket!. Yet here we are, hell bent on socialized medicine. I wonder what side of the issue Ty comes down on?

Now, how many lives every year are saved because of the lawful use and brandishing of a firearm, TY?

Last edited:
Just threw up in my mouth a little. I really hate the bastardization of data to support a position.if you're going to use it, make it complete. I'm equally frustrated and dumbfounded by the insistence that laws have a significant impact on criminal behavior. It's as if people forget that criminal status is granted to those who ignore the law not those who respect and abide by them.

Tom

Ty McCormick is an intellectual that has achieved nothing useful in his life.

He has contributed nothing to the American economy, nor to its civic life.

When the reset comes, he and his ilk will have a lot to answer for. And it won't be pretty.

Back
Top Bottom